Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I changed my fuel filter for the first time last weekend. really really easy!!

Just un hook the electric sensor from the loom, un screw the filter. put the sensor on the new filter, with the new seals. refit new filter to car, hook up lead. pump the fuel in using the pump on top till it goes hard. and then start the car.

if your pump doesn't work then fill the filter with diesel before fitting it and it should be fine.

hope this helps.

Comment

• ...and if the filter refuses to budge, as mine did!, just pull off the two fuel lines and remove the full housing from the bulkhead (3 bolts) and stick it in a vice!
      Ian
      One day my paranoia will go away!

Comment

• Originally posted by icsys
        ...and if the filter refuses to budge, as mine did!, just pull off the two fuel lines and remove the full housing from the bulkhead (3 bolts) and stick it in a vince!
        Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

• Originally posted by yoshie View Post
          Yes mate you can
          So to make it clear - I can use up to 2500 litres of oil pa without reporting anything to anyone and not paying any duty at all?

Comment

• yes
            Brian

Comment

• great info

Great info.I have used svo between 20-30% mix for the last 2years in my 92 surf and it seems to work well. The only problems are when it is extremely cold and it takes a few preheat cycles to start. I also find that it`s a good idea to use a fuel additive/cleaner from time to time. The supermarkets seem to have found out our ploys as I notice veg oil has increased in price in the last 6 months, is nothing safe from profiteering!!!!!!!

Comment

• Thanks for all the info.

I bought 15 1ltr bottles from a cash and carry for £8.67, 55p a litre

I've just put some in today, starting on a 20% mix to start with.

Comment

• anyone know of any wvo suppliers around sheffield / barnsley??
                  http://www.manicgamer.net

Comment

• my veg oil trip

I RECENTLY DROVE 500 MILE IN MY 2.4 TURBO DIESEL SURF,1989 5 speed manual ,ITS ALAWAYS STARTED INSTANTLY,I VE DRIVEN IT ON 95% SVO WITH NO MODS,THE ONLY PROBLEM I VE FOUND WAS IT DOES NOT ENJOY TOWING HEAVY LOADS WITH VEG OIL,ON THE FIRST LEG OF THE SAID JOURNEY WE AVERAGED 27 MPG,DRIVING BETWEEN 60 AND 70MPH ISH ,,ON THE RETURN WITH THE CARAVAN ON THE BACK MPG WAS AROUND 16 ISH USING 90% veg,problem was it had no poke at all on hills,DRIVING BETWEEN 40 AND 60 MPH,DOWN TO 35MPH ON HILLLS IN SCOTLAND DUE TO CLUTCH SLIP//???.
                    NEXT DAY I FILLED WITH PURE DIESEL AND IT WAS MUCH BETTER AT PULLING THE CARAVAN WHICH IS 1700 KGS EMPTY,ALSO MY CLUTCH WAS NOT HAPPY AND STARTED TO MAKE HORRID NOISES AND SMELLS AFTER ONLY 35 MILES WITH THE VAN ON HITCH,,MY SURF HAS ONLY 124000KILOMETERS ON THE CLOCK AND I FEEL THE CLUTCH NEEDS RIPPING OUT AND A QUALITY UK REPLACEMENT INSTALLED,anybody who could advise me on a heavy duty clutch please mail me, I have to admitt my 1962 SWB 2.3 PETROL land rover is far superior at towing BUT TOYOTA IS COMFY AND WARM

Comment

• Try here for your clutch bits.

http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=11&cid=143

And I think the veg oil thread is now dead, due to the price rises on SVO recently, it's now almost as expensive as diesel, so no point in using it, unless you can get WVO for free.
                      Last edited by plumb bob; 6 April 2008, 19:32.
                      Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

• Originally posted by plumb bob View Post
                        And I think the veg oil thread is now dead, due to the price rises on SVO recently, it's now almost as expensive as diesel, so no point in using it, unless you can get WVO for free.
                        Still 75p/l at Makro - that's 36p/l cheaper than Derv round here. Allowing for the slightly higher consumption on SVO, I'm still saving 30p/l - I don't think it's quite that dead...
                        Peter

I am not a number. I am a FREE MAN!

Comment

• 79p ltr at LIDL yesterday.
                          www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

• Well as Tesco and Asda in Great Yarmouth are now charging £1 a litre for vegetable oil and the local council are buying all the used stuff from the local chip shops/fast food places i'm running out of cheaper-than-derv fuel...

I did however notice Tesco are selling Corn Oil for 88p per litre... Is this stuff safe to use in my truck? Its been running fine on regular vegetable oil at 30-40% all winter.

Comment

• I found mine ran even better on corn, but at the time it was too expencive
                              Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                              Tony

Comment

• to what extent do you need to filter wvo down to?
                                there's a company on ebay that do it to 10 microns and charge 60p a litre of the stuff and supply it in 50ltr drums....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Used-Vegetable...QQcmdZViewItem

i am going to convert just trying to work out if this is going to be cheaper to do it this way or to actually do it myself.
                                think i can get wvo for a few pound for 25ltr drum.

just need to work out how to filter properly and to what degree before i start.

Comment

Working...
                                X