• Show
Clear All

• diysurgeon
    replied
    Originally posted by Jameswallace View Post
    I know it should all be gone but there must be some trace

Anyone im not producing it, just using

Thanks for your help :-)
    Bio can be corrosive and if I remember correctly it is best to replace pump seals within viton seals. Try this website as there are some experts there that might help.

http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk

I have been running various cars on used veg for 12 years, my hilux for the past 4 years with no issues.

Leave a comment:

• Jameswallace
    replied
    I know it should all be gone but there must be some trace

Anyone im not producing it, just using

Thanks for your help :-)

Leave a comment:

• andyverran
    replied
    I know it works with most engines, i use it in my passat but im swopping back to my old surf (same one) and wanted to investigate whether there was any problem with pump seals rotting from the methonal in bio diesel..... So that i could be proactive not reactive ;-)
    Shouldn't be methanol left in bio fella...should have been washed out...though the bio itself is a little corrosive (always get my alkaline and acid back to front). I ran it a vitara with no issues for 12,000 miles and distroyed a mondeo in 3000 (ate the injectors).

Leave a comment:

• Jameswallace
    replied
    I know it works with most engines, i use it in my passat but im swopping back to my old surf (same one) and wanted to investigate whether there was any problem with pump seals rotting from the methonal in bio diesel..... So that i could be proactive not reactive ;-)

Leave a comment:

• Yorkshire Devil
    replied
    Cant find a straight answer too this

Has anyone used bio-diesel before.. Not wvo svo uco etc, proper bio diesel made with methanol etc

Any problems with rubber in pumps..?
    I know of several Land Cruisers with the same Surf 2.4 and 3.0TD engines that have fun on bio diesel for years with no reported problems.

I also know of A Ford Transit 05 plate that has clocked up some 200k on bio diesel with no reported faults to the engine.

Leave a comment:

• Jameswallace
    replied
    Cant find a straight answer too this

Has anyone used bio-diesel before.. Not wvo svo uco etc, proper bio diesel made with methanol etc

Any problems with rubber in pumps..?

Leave a comment:

• Diezel Weazel
    replied
    Ran my ol' 2.4 since 2004 on SVO mix, for four years n since 2008 (free litre) ran on WVO/SVO mix since ...

11+ Years of Surfs ..... n Faultless to a "T" is my Yota !!

Leave a comment:

• diysurgeon
    replied
    I have been running my surf for over two years on wvo using a twin tank system with no problems. Prior to that I ran a VW T4 for five years again with no problem. Have been doing it for over 10 years now.

A lot depends on how well you filter and dewater your oil. Do you have an heat exchanger, do you start on diesel to allow easy starting and avoiding ring gumming then switch over to oil once the engine is warm etc.

Leave a comment:

• nick.jsg
    replied
    what is the longest that anyone has run on veg oil ?

Wondering what the longest anyone has actually run EXCLUSIVELY ON veg/recycled oil without any problems.
    i have always avoided using veg oil because the aspect that never seems to be factored in to the aim of achieving overall economy over pump fuel is the cost in premature engine wear or even damage.This was confirmed by a discussion with a mechanic(an mot tester ) who confirmed the poor internal state of engines he had seen which had been run on veg oil for any length of time.
    i suppose this makes sense if you consider that oil companies spend tens of millions researching and developing fuels with advanced anti wear additives and combustion improvers,so the idea that plain veg oil and especially old chip oil would have any remotely acceptable wear and combustion characteristics such as found in modern fuels over the medium to long term is probably not realistic.
    Last edited by nick.jsg; 10 February 2013, 13:44.

Leave a comment:

• Neozero999
    replied
    So If I course-sieve, then filter through 100, 25 and 1 micron, should do the job then?

Leave a comment:

• Diezel Weazel
    replied
    Originally posted by biosurf View Post
    Most filter to 1 micron I tried .2 micron which removed the slight brown tinge which left a small smear on some containers buy took so long to pump the oil through when filtering that I gave up.
    So ya pump yours through Paul ..... hot or cold ?
    I use gravity n always cold ....

Jess
    "Cos short cuts can cost more in the long run"

Leave a comment:

• biosurf
    replied
    Most filter to 1 micron I tried .2 micron which removed the slight brown tinge which left a small smear on some containers buy took so long to pump the oil through when filtering that I gave up.

Leave a comment:

• Diezel Weazel
    replied
    Originally posted by Neozero999 View Post
    Ok, I can pick up free and very cheap used oil locally. What microns would you recommend filtering it down to, to get reasonably clean oil? Got a stash of spare prefilters and a main filter as spares, plus the requisite spanners for any impromptu changes that crop up. Keeping a close eye on the prefilter as I just started adding oil, looking good so far and for the quid-fifty they cost me, was planning to change the see-through prefilters as soon as they look anything like cruddy.
    Nice link, but why would I pay for information I can get free?
    I'm using bioFUEL rather than biodiesel in any case. Have read that the latter is actually LESS good for the engine than SVO
    It sometimes really depends on the source of ya oil n it's contents.
    I collect all sorts of WVO from Chinese, Indian n Chipshops n is mostly all very clean n 2 filters is good enough.
    However when cleaning fryers out ya get mixed oil n crap which I store in a Waste "waste" 100 litre container for sorting at a later date ...
    Hope this helps !!

Jess
    "Cos short cuts can cost more in the long run"

I'd reckon 10 micron would be ample, just change ya fuel filter regularly (every 3 months or so unless ya doing really high mileages)

Leave a comment:

• Neozero999
    replied
    Ok, I can pick up free and very cheap used oil locally. What microns would you recommend filtering it down to, to get reasonably clean oil? Got a stash of spare prefilters and a main filter as spares, plus the requisite spanners for any impromptu changes that crop up. Keeping a close eye on the prefilter as I just started adding oil, looking good so far and for the quid-fifty they cost me, was planning to change the see-through prefilters as soon as they look anything like cruddy.
    Nice link, but why would I pay for information I can get free?
    I'm using bioFUEL rather than biodiesel in any case. Have read that the latter is actually LESS good for the engine than SVO

Leave a comment:

• Albannach
    replied
    Originally posted by Andrew99 View Post
    I can recommend this guide

www.howtomake-biodiesel.co.uk
    Is it your's?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X