Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waitrose 98p/lt but not many on shelves. even fewer (like none) after my visit
    Now surfing in the sun

Comment

• Fidlers cash and carry £18.99 for 20 litres of ktc but not for long next shipment will be over £20
      Now surfing in the sun

Comment

• i didnt get any of this?? can anybody please explain it all again??

Comment

• hehe only joking.
          great thred! all my answers answered!
          my bro has a cash&carry account so looks like ill be going down there tomoz!

Comment

• I cant believe the price of it atm... 2 years ago kwik save did a sale of half price so it was 20p a liter... now look lol....

glad i get used oil now... bio all the way!

http://www.manicgamer.net

Comment

• Originally posted by amethyst View Post
              I cant believe the price of it atm... 2 years ago kwik save did a sale of half price so it was 20p a liter... now look lol....

glad i get used oil now... bio all the way!

you know what im goin to be doing the same.. forget filtering it for months though. bloke at work has a land rover. he gets his waste oil and its ready to use later that day. ill find out what filters n how and get back to u. but if you use your car everyday, and save £40 per week on fuel, then after 10 weeks u have enough to get ur fuel pump fixed
              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

• Now using used oil from a local takeaway, although there seems to be a certain amount of competition for the oil!

I have come up with an easy method of filtering:

Bring home in whatever container I get the oil in.

Decant into black plastic 20 drums (I have an effectively endless supply of these )

Leave for a week in the sun to be heated and cooled repeatedly.

Decant into another container - through a cloth strainer to avoid the floating bits...

Mix in 1/2 - 1 litre of ULP in 20 litres of oil.

Pour into tank.

Drive.

Works for me
                Peter

I am not a number. I am a FREE MAN!

Comment

• Sounds good. I suppose anything that gets through the cloth is going to be stopped by the fuel filter - and they're cheap when the fuel is free

Dropped a 25 litre drum off at the local Indian last night. It was necessary to stay and eat, out of respect, obviously.
                  Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

• yeha kinda the same... i just leave a couple of days to settle - send it through the cloth then into the kit to make the bio... just have to make sure that all the food stuffs are out... lol
                    http://www.manicgamer.net

Comment

• After the first filtering to remove the main crud you should then let settle to remove the water in suspension, then be checking the water content of the oil prior to any more filtering. HEAT A FRYING PAN UNTIL ITS SMOKING HOT ADD A SAMPLE OF YOUR WVO if it spits or bubbles leave it to settle longer.

The water content is what will destroy your motor. The food particles get stuck in the filter, so by filtering to 5 micron or less your fuel filter will last longer too as the car filters are rated at about 10 micron.

Comment

• Originally posted by GIRDLES View Post
                        After the first filtering to remove the main crud you should then let settle to remove the water in suspension, then be checking the water content of the oil prior to any more filtering. HEAT A FRYING PAN UNTIL ITS SMOKING HOT ADD A SAMPLE OF YOUR WVO if it spits or bubbles leave it to settle longer.

The water content is what will destroy your motor. The food particles get stuck in the filter, so by filtering to 5 micron or less your fuel filter will last longer too as the car filters are rated at about 10 micron.
                        theres no need to filter once its gone through a kit tho right??

Comment

• Making Bio / methyl esters in a kit is not the same as using WVO.

Comment

• sorry must have mis-read. thought he was talking about BIO for some reason?

Comment

• Graham....... what do you reckon to this (my WVO )?

Alan
                              www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

• Originally posted by tintin View Post
                                Graham....... what do you reckon to this (my WVO )?

Alan
                                im not graham, but it looks like my pee sample about a second before i passed out lol

p.s., veg oil is coming down in price but equal to diesel, so still no point buying fresh
                                Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Working...
                                X