Surf Towing & Caravan Things

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Maverick
    You haven't seen the diagram for the poles, it looks like something from the Krypton factor. The trailer is easy 20 mins and it's up and running, so why did they have to go so technical on the awning? (I'll probably now find it's a piece of cake, but the diagram has me confussed).
    AWNINGS are fun as loads of people will offer to help you. TRY IT !
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

• Originally posted by marky
      I Hope We Can Use This Thread For Towing, Caravans, Trailers Towbars A-frames Etc
      I have a 21ft shipping length Bailey Ranger 510/4 4 berth caravan it weighs in around 1250kg. My 2.4 ssrx surf pulls this with ease you only know its there when you look in the mirror. it is fitted with an ALKO stabiliser which makes it more stable. the towball is a swan neck type as in the photo which is useful for towing suzis.
      Marky, what sort of MPG do you get from the 2.4, towing & solo?

We've got a Ranger 470 and the wifes Picasso returns high 20's towing (2.0 HDI) but as an example needed 3rd gear to get over the M62 at Saddleworth on our first trip out. I'm willing to sacrifice my motor for something like the Surf really just for towing.

I'm undecided if this would be a 2.4 or a 3.0

3.0 seem to have fewer head problems, but are costlier to buy & I assume to run.

2.4 lots of horror stories about head problems on the forum, but same age, mileage & spec cars aremaybe anything upt to £2k cheaper, big difference.

Reliability would be a big factor, as we are planning 2 weeks in france in the summer, and a breakdown would just be absolute pants.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jonathan M
        Marky, what sort of MPG do you get from the 2.4, towing & solo?

We've got a Ranger 470 and the wifes Picasso returns high 20's towing (2.0 HDI) but as an example needed 3rd gear to get over the M62 at Saddleworth on our first trip out. I'm willing to sacrifice my motor for something like the Surf really just for towing.

I'm undecided if this would be a 2.4 or a 3.0

3.0 seem to have fewer head problems, but are costlier to buy & I assume to run.

2.4 lots of horror stories about head problems on the forum, but same age, mileage & spec cars aremaybe anything upt to £2k cheaper, big difference.

Reliability would be a big factor, as we are planning 2 weeks in france in the summer, and a breakdown would just be absolute pants.
        I know were you mean That big long hill on the M62 is a grueller i drop to 40 mph when pulling around 1 3/4 Tonne Abbey spectrum twin axle van.
        If you can, Go for the 3.0 as its got more vooomph for towing even though i dont have a problem with my 2.4. My old bailey ranger was a lot lighter you could feel the difference.
        (\__/)
        (")_(")

Comment

• Getting ready

Checked the tyres, cleaned the water tank, scrubbed and polished the interior, serviced the Surf. Take caravan for service on Wednesday ready for blast off in less than two weeks. Just need to check over the fishing tackle and summer will seem to have arrived so why is it trying to snow?

Keith

Comment

• getting giddy messen Keith
            ive just got me last bit of tackle done for fishing and were getting the interior cushions cleaned this week so they are dry for easter wo hooooooooooo

Jonathan M
            you wont have a problem with the surf ive the 3.0 and its a dream i did have a scare last year when the temp went up and ui mean really high up going up a hill in devon with the van on the back but it was down to my bad towing tchnique with the auto box and its not done it again,
            PS the MPG isnt that much different between the 2.4 and the 3.0 and i went up the saddleworth moor hill over the tops on the M62 last year going to Blackpool and it sailed up 2500 revs and 50mph sorted.
            if a politition is talking its lying

Comment

• Jonathan M. Go for the 3ltr, we toured Scotland last year(highlands) no problems.apart from t***er in volvo estate up my rse on the flat road ,lost him when we got to the hills though,3ltr has loads of power.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparky
                Jonathan M. Go for the 3ltr, we toured Scotland last year(highlands) no problems.apart from t***er in volvo estate up my rse on the flat road ,lost him when we got to the hills though,3ltr has loads of power.
                I've seen a nice 3rd gen 3.0 today, £8.5K but looks to be in VGC, might go back tommorrow & test drive it, then work at the missus a bit to let me get it.

Comment

• Looks like Mrs KS has gone-off caravanning. I now have a batchelor pad on wheels...... I can hear the chat-up line now, "Would you like to come back to my place. I have a rather large awning."
                  It's only a hobby!

Comment

• With LANGDALE looming around the corner i think you should decorate it.
                    (\__/)
                    (")_(")

Comment

• towed a Sterling Searcher big twin axle yesterday, lovely van but the Surf seems to have a mental blockage for acceleration at 40-50mph. After 50 its not so bad its just mid-range I thought would be better.
                      Mind you - it towed it superbly and was so stable so im well chuffed in general.
                      Tim
                      Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

• nose weight advise please

I've been towing for the last 13 years, so am not a greenhorn at it but this year I'll be towing the heaviest, longest, and widest trailer yet, and although I wanted to get it out and have a practise drive the holiday is getting closer, and the rest days are getting less so...........

The trailer is braked with a gross weight of 1 tonne, the manual advises optimum (where's my spell check) nose weight of 50-90kg. It currently has a nose weight of 72kg with most of my gear thrown in, at final pack down it should come in at about 85kg (I've been playing with weights and positions).
                        My surf has had the uprated suspension and shocks fitted, which have also lifted the ball 2", this means that with the boot unloaded the trailer sits level, not nose down like my last trailer did. I estimate that with the boot loaded there should be a slight drop. I have also purchased a mirror extender so I can see past it. now.

1. Does the nose wight sound reasonable, or would you advise leaving it at about 72kg.
                        2. Does the nose hight sound sensible or would you advise getting a drop plate.
                        3. Is there anything else I've forgotten.

I've always loaded the trailers perfectly in the past, and have never needed stabilisers or any aids, even surviving a high speed blow out with no damage (apart from tyre). So I don't know why I'm worring this time, but please humour me.

Duane
                        Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

• nose weight is ok aslong as your towball and tow bar are rated to or above the weight you said, but as for pulling the trailer sounds like a walk in the park just let the box do the work for ya no worries
                          Last edited by firefly; 21 March 2005, 15:26.
                          if a politition is talking its lying

Comment

• I've not seen any specific figures for noseweight on a Surf but going by similar spec vehicles I would suspect you can go up to at least 100kg noseweight for your trailer, if it will accept that much. I tow a single axle caravan with a 1340kg MTPLM and loading that to about 80kg noseweight causes no problems at all (97kgs limit set by Bailey).

I'm taking my caravan out at Easter as well. Off to Moreton in Marsh CC site, then Stanmore Hall for the May Day Bank Holiday. Hope the weather keeps improving.
                            Mike G

Comment

• I aim for 70-80Kg noseweight on my 2.4 and have no problems. I just played with a compromise between what the caravan manual says and what the Surf manual recommends. It'll be a breeze - don't worry.
                              It's only a hobby!

Comment

• NOSEWEIGHT
                                This is the weight applied down on the vehicle tow coupling by the caravan or trailer. It is recommended by Caravanning organisations for maximum towing stability the noseweight be about 7% of the MAM of the caravan, subject to this not exceeding the towbar maximum noseweight. This information will be on a plate attached to the towbar and will vary from vehicle type to vehicle type. For older Series vehicles the generally accepted safe nose weight is 75kg although this is not defined in any manufacturer’s literature for those vehicles. The table below shows the maximum nose weight for all the listed models.

You can measure the nose weight with a nose weight gauge, or a piece of timber resting on a pair of bathroom scales on the ground directly beneath the hitch. In all cases the caravan needs to be on level ground with the brakes on. Use the jockey wheel to lower the hitch onto the chosen gauge.

MAM=Maximum Authorised Mass in case you didnt know
                                Tim
                                Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Working...
                                X