Surf Towing & Caravan Things

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by firefly
    Caravan mag CARAVAN gives a great write up for the surf in the used 4x4 of the year supplement inside
    There is a glowing report on the Surf in Mays 4x4 and MPV Buyer mag. They are not too kind about the 2.4 and quote a couple of dealers as saying that they won't import them anymore because of head problems. They really praise up the 2nd and 3rd Gen 3L though. Apart from that it's favourable.
    I'm going to write to them about the 2.4 and try to put the record straight as they almost suggest that all 2.4s have head problems, although they do say that about a grand for a new head will put it right.
    It's only a hobby!

Comment

• This is the same report that was in 4*4 Magazine last month following the survey request. Obviously both mags from the same publisher.
      Mike G

Comment

• Gr8 even more people have read it now more converts on the way
        if a politition is talking its lying

Comment

• Probably. Met a fellow caravanner at Stanmore Hall over the weekend. He's currently got a Pajero but is finding it too slow to pull away when towing a twin axle van. We had a chat and I probably helped to convince him to go for a 3.0L 2nd Gen, although he seemed quite keen anyway.
          Last edited by Tallyman; 6 May 2005, 23:26.
          Mike G

Comment

• Best tow car i have ever had a bit bouncy at first but with uprated rear springs and pro-comp gas shocks its brill. The 3.0d engine just loves it she will keep up with any line of traffic and mine is a big van!http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/att...id=11923&stc=1
            Attached Files
            Last edited by dave 30d; 7 May 2005, 20:35.
            [COLOR=Red]THE RIBBLE REBEL[/COLOR]

Comment

• Originally posted by dave 30d
              Best tow car i have ever had a bit bouncy at first but with uprated rear springs and pro-comp gas shocks its brill. The 3.0d engine just loves it she will keep up with any line of traffic and mine is a big van!http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/att...id=11923&stc=1
              Dave did you fit new shocks all round ? & did you fit ES 9000
              (\__/)
              (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
              (")_(")

Comment

• Originally posted by marky
                Dave did you fit new shocks all round ? & did you fit ES 9000
                Yes mate new shocks all round shes a bit harsh on every day use but terrific with the van behind.
                [COLOR=Red]THE RIBBLE REBEL[/COLOR]

Comment

• Originally posted by dave 30d
                  Yes mate new shocks all round shes a bit harsh on every day use but terrific with the van behind.
                  Just wanted to know as thats my next mod.
                  ABBEY SPECTRUM
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by marky; 7 May 2005, 21:08.
                  (\__/)
                  (")_(")

Comment

• Towing with turbo diesel automatic-dont do it!

In the current issue of Caravan magazine their technical expert says you should not tow with a TD auto. I am due to look at a 3.0 Td auto intercooled Surf tomorrow so I e mailed him.He says the problem is when moving slowly in traffic,on site,reversing on to a pitch the turbo does not kick in at low revs so the box is slipping causing overheating which can cost a new box at over £1k.He ends by saying that they do not recommend a TD auto as a tow car.

Help can someone reassure me please-I have to reverse my caravan slowly up a narrow winding drive and I fancy the intercooled Surf !!

Comment

• Originally posted by misterg
                      In the current issue of Caravan magazine their technical expert says you should not tow with a TD auto. I am due to look at a 3.0 Td auto intercooled Surf tomorrow so I e mailed him.He says the problem is when moving slowly in traffic,on site,reversing on to a pitch the turbo does not kick in at low revs so the box is slipping causing overheating which can cost a new box at over £1k.He ends by saying that they do not recommend a TD auto as a tow car.

Help can someone reassure me please-I have to reverse my caravan slowly up a narrow winding drive and I fancy the intercooled Surf !!
                      Sounds like cobblers to me. There are loads of us using TD Autos, EFI TD Autos etc. When the turbo kicks in has no bearing on whether the auto box slips. It won't be the first time I have seen dubious technical advice from Caravan mags. The last bit was advising against front mounted tow bars for pushing caravans on the grounds that, "Cars are not designed to have tow bars fitted at the front." Mmmmmmmmm. It would save you reversing up that windey drive though!
                      It's only a hobby!

Comment

• Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
                        Sounds like cobblers to me. There are loads of us using TD Autos, EFI TD Autos etc. When the turbo kicks in has no bearing on whether the auto box slips.
                        Yeah, what he said! All auto boxes slip , its what they do, its the whole point. What a dumbass, how do these people get jobs advising people!

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

• Originally posted by misterg

I have a 3ltr TD auto and have towed my caravan any which way with it over some 1000,s of miles over these last 2 1/2 years with no probs at all. I must confess that I dont like reversing the van anyway 'cause I broke my neck when I was younger and cant turn too easily..but that apart..Surfo has never been a problem.Anyway why do you want a turbo to kick in at low revs for anyway ? Ultra fast reversing ??

Comment

• towing a caravan

help and advice please. i have the chance to buy a surf 3.0 ssr-g tdi auto.1996.auto.how well will it perform at pulling a caravan of 1860 kilos. I considering changing from a 3.1 trooper. your comments and views would be welcomed.

Comment

• Although theoretically it should pull without too many problems, the kerb weight of a Surf is only just over 1900kgs, so you would be towing at close on 98%, far over what is recommended for a caravan. With something that big you really need to have a fair bit of a weight advantage on the towing vehicle, as an 1860ks caravan is going to exert much more force to a car than a 1000kg one, even if both were being towed by a car at near 100%.

For the size of caravan you are looking at, you would be far safer buying something like the Land Cruiser Amazon or (god forbid) a Range Rover.
                              Mike G

Comment

• Originally posted by Tallyman
                                Although theoretically it should pull without too many problems, the kerb weight of a Surf is only just over 1900kgs, so you would be towing at close on 98%, far over what is recommended for a caravan. With something that big you really need to have a fair bit of a weight advantage on the towing vehicle, as an 1860ks caravan is going to exert much more force to a car than a 1000kg one, even if both were being towed by a car at near 100%.

For the size of caravan you are looking at, you would be far safer buying something like the Land Cruiser Amazon or (god forbid) a Range Rover.
                                My 2.4 has pulled a similar weight a twin axle ABBEY SPECTRUM you can tow upto 100% only recomended for the well experienced caravan owner but as said a landcruiser probalby would be a better match. The 3.0 SURF will tow it but its upto you.
                                Attached Files
                                (\__/)
                                (")_(")

Comment

Working...
                                X