No announcement yet.

Egr removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm sure its been said before in this thread, but a non-opening valve won't cause no compression.
    If you had no valve clearance without a shim in place, it would appear the valve head may have come off the stem, so that the valve operation appears to be ok but the head has gone into/through the piston crown.
    If, however, the shim has "just popped out" you need to find out why. It is quite possible that on its way out it caused the valve to stay open and strike the piston....and bent the valve, so no compression...possible hole in piston too.
    I feel you're just putting off the inevitable by swapping parts...any engine that won't fire after a FULL TIN of easy start is, generally, foo-baad
    What have I told you about thinking Erroll

Comment

• Originally posted by meooo View Post
      I'm sure its been said before in this thread, but a non-opening valve won't cause no compression.
      If you had no valve clearance without a shim in place, it would appear the valve head may have come off the stem, so that the valve operation appears to be ok but the head has gone into/through the piston crown.
      If, however, the shim has "just popped out" you need to find out why. It is quite possible that on its way out it caused the valve to stay open and strike the piston....and bent the valve, so no compression...possible hole in piston too.
      I feel you're just putting off the inevitable by swapping parts...any engine that won't fire after a FULL TIN of easy start is, generally, foo-baad
      Hence post #96, but negative replies don't get a response.

Comment

• Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
        Hence post #96, but negative replies don't get a response.
        I think I scored some abuse that got deleted.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sancho View Post
          I think I scored some abuse that got deleted.
          Think it was aimed at me...as I said before difficult to tell ....though I was quoted.

Listen to Bush's advice or get an engine off ebay..
          .... Which was nice.

Comment

• Originally posted by frankx View Post
            good news found the missing shim under rocker cover at engine looks like took 6 hits on the way out which expains why there no compression inlet valves wasent opening as i said the pots move up en down freely like the rest do you think i might bent valve on i'ts way out ? do i have set the timing take off the cam to replace the shim havent done it before can you explain what needed
            You could put the shim back in simply by positioning engine on top dead centre of compression stroke for that cylinder, push the bucket down to open valve and slip the shim back in. I personally think the shim cam out for a reason and that is because the engine is stuffed.

Nev

Comment

• Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
              'Pots' is a slang word/description for the pistons or the cylinders which they slide up and down in, how can you see them if the cylinder head is still bolted to the block?

You mean the rocker arms or rockers. The valve should be OK if it was just the shim that came loose, but you'll need to check the condition of the cam lobe.
              People call the shim buckets 'pots', let not get any more confused in this thread.

A shim could get ejected if a valve is bent or even just jamming enough to let the shim and bucket bounce a little, but if the shim is half way out of the bucket the valve will stay open a bit and WILL get bent next revolution.

Put the shim back, check the vlave clearances again, in the right order so you can see if a valve is sticking open before the pistion pushes it home.

If it seems ok then by what ever means ( ie, :deep breath: ..pay someone.. if you can't do it!!) get a compression test done next, you need to know its mechanically ok before carring in with other things, or its all expensive guess work.
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

• replaceing shim

[QUOTE=TonyN;744682]People call the shim buckets 'pots', let not get any more confused in this thread.

A shim could get ejected if a valve is bent or even just jamming enough to let the shim and bucket bounce a little, but if the shim is half way out of the bucket the valve will stay open a bit and WILL get bent next revolution.

Put the shim back, check the vlave clearances again, in the right order so you can see if a valve is sticking open before the pistion pushes it home.

If it seems ok then by what ever means ( ie, :deep breath: ..pay someone.. if you can't do it!!) get a compression test done next, you need to know its mechanically ok before carring in with other things, or its all expensive guess work.[/QU
                Last edited by frankx; 19 November 2011, 14:07.

Comment

• shim back in bucket

[QUOTE=frankx;744694]
                  Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                  People call the shim buckets 'pots', let not get any more confused in this thread.

If it seems ok then by what ever means ( ie, :deep breath: ..pay someone.. if you can't do it!!) get a compression test done next, you need to know its mechanically ok before carring in with other things, or its all expensive guess work.[/QU
                  hi tony put the shim back in bucket turned over by hand herd we click from what sounded to be inlet valve? no major rattles so cranked over few times still no compression . out no.2 piston valve must be bent ? maybe timming belt jumped teeth? . deisel mechanic never showed up to day to test it. you said chek valves clearances in right order ? if you could explain we bit more in detail .still dont have manual as of yet . dont know where to cut my loses or spend more money on this import .tax up end nov.and ins. renewal middle next month .

Comment

• engine gubbed

[QUOTE=frankx;744851]
                    Originally posted by frankx View Post

hi tony put the shim back in bucket turned over by hand herd we click from what sounded to be inlet valve? no major rattles so cranked over few times still no compression . out no.2 piston valve must be bent ? maybe timming belt jumped teeth? . deisel mechanic never showed up to day to test it. you said chek valves clearances in right order ? if you could explain we bit more in detail .still dont have manual as of yet . dont know where to cut my loses or spend more money on this import .tax up end nov.and ins. renewal middle next month .
                    hi tony took head off and can confirm there is no piston in no.2 cylinder only top off shattered conrod inlet and exhuast valves disapeard also first time when fired and herd big bang thats what it must have been inside cylinder scored . so am on the look out for another engine? if you know anybody got spare want thank all you guys for helping alonge this thread all the best

Comment

• Was your Surf an auto? If it is then Vince was correct. The wires are an earth and go here -

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/v...ic.php?t=29242

Nev

Comment

• Thats the least of his troubles now!

At least we know where the wire goes, and when it was disconnected.

I have a used 2.4 short block, but shipping maybe expensive.
                        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                          Thats the least of his troubles now!

At least we know where the wire goes, and when it was disconnected.

I have a used 2.4 short block, but shipping maybe expensive.
                          hi tony where you located? i think i might have to get cylinder head also as you can see in pic. took bit of impact. how much do you want for the block tony?
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Been a while since I checked this thread.
                            Glad I did 147 posts and now some fecer is away with a piston.
                            Surely that doesn't go unnoticed.

I look forward to the rebuild saga
                            Brian

Comment

• I see by your LOCATION that you are in Glasgow. This I found under your name on the left.

Just a guess, but Tony may have his LOCATION details in the same place on the left under his name...
                              .... Which was nice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Overland Tonka View Post
                                I see by your LOCATION that you are in Glasgow. This I found under your name on the left.

Just a guess, but Tony may have his LOCATION details in the same place on the left under his name...
                                You'd think so wouldn't you....Must be hard to lose a piston and not notice, perhaps someone sneaked in and changed the engine when he wasn't looking
                                What have I told you about thinking Erroll

Comment

Working...
                                X