Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i have read this thread with great interest, i would like to try out svo in my surf when it arrives, do we know if the fuel tax is still at the higher rate of 47p?
    http://www.manicgamer.net

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst
      i have read this thread with great interest, i would like to try out svo in my surf when it arrives, do we know if the fuel tax is still at the higher rate of 47p?
      It appears to be so, at the moment.

Matt

Comment

pants.......

Comment

Here is a thought for anyone considering the Biodiesel route rather than SVO or a blend...

The half-life of methanol is 43 hours - this means it takes 43 hours (from exposure to methanol) for the methanol in your body to reduce by half. 43 hours later and the amount is reduced by half again. It follws therefore, that it takes 10 days for methanol to leave your body completely.

If you are repeatedly exposed to methanol (more than once every 10 days) then you will accumulate methanol in your body and never be fully rid of it. You may feel no ill effects, but you will be accumulating dangerous amounts of toxins in your body.

It seems that I am sensitive to methanol poisoning. It may be that an amount of methanol in my body produces symptoms where others would feel no ill effect.

I have been experiencing blurred vision, dizziness and headaches. I have been making biodiesel for 2 years and exposing myself to methanol fumes every week. Since I stopped making Biodiesel my problems have cleared up.

Be aware - consumption of 4ml of methanol is enough to make you blind - 40 ml will kill you.

For me it is SVO and/or blends from now on.

Good luck to anyone that uses methanol - keep yourself safe.
          1996 3rd generation surf

Comment

The reason SVO has a higher tax than BioDiesel is because BioDiesel costs more to produce - buying methanol & caustic soda as well as the mixing drums etc.

However, is there any way C&E could tell the difference between Bio and SVO when mixed with Diesel in the fuel tank?

In other words, and purely hypothetically could you put SVO in the truck mixed with Diesel. Fill in the HO930 Declaration Form saying you've made BioDiesel therefore paying the lower rate, and would C&E be unable to tell the difference if your tank was dipped?

Just thinking out loud, and obviously I would never consider doing this myself officer
            Just Vegging Out

Comment

My hunch is that it is possible to tell the difference. Biodiesel is veg oil less the glycerine. Veg oil still contains glycering. If they tested it they would find glycerine and conclude that either you had failed in your attempt to make BD or were adding veg oil to your tank.

Naturally, I have always paid the duty on Biodiesel but sometimes wonder why... If your tank was tested and biodiesel was found to be there, how would someone know whether you had made it yourself or bought it at a pump and paid the duty?

I once passed a petrol station on the A14 which sold biodiesel. I think it was 70p (duty added) How could someone prove whether you bought it legit or not? I often pay for fuel in cash and never keep the receipt...
              1996 3rd generation surf

Comment

Originally posted by Jim-Phillips
                I have been experiencing blurred vision, dizziness and headaches. .

perhaps you should take more water with..............

seriously glad you identified the cause and are now OK...what a bummer though -window - cheap fuel
                Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                Tony

Comment

>GULP<

i'm gonna take the plunge an run a 60 - 20 with SVO... but it mentions in this thread about spare filters... where is the best place i can get a set for my 2nd gen 3.0L.... (in GREEN)

Stu

Comment

>GULP<

i'm gonna take the plunge an run a 60 - 20 with SVO... but it mentions in this thread about spare filters... where is the best place i can get a set for my 2nd gen 3.0L.... (in GREEN)

Stu

try www.milneroffroad.com
                    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce1067
                      excellent ... many thanks

Comment

>GULP<

Stu
                        What will the other 20% be then?

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                          What will the other 20% be then?
                          maybo not running a full tank!?
                          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

If you tank was dipped when you were using approx 10% Veggie to 90% regular diesel, would this still be detected / prosecutable?

Just asking for a friend!!!!
                            Cheers,
                            Sean

Comment

Originally posted by SeanH
                              If you tank was dipped when you were using approx 10% Veggie to 90% regular diesel, would this still be detected / prosecutable?

Just asking for a friend!!!!
                              Any fuel upon which duty has not been paid is prosecutable.
                              If they have tests for glycerine content, then yes it would be
                              detectable.

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
                                maybo not running a full tank!?
                                Spot on.... have to leave a bit o room.... heheheh

Comment

Working...
                                X