This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by amethyst
    cool m8... i'm up your way over the weekend... off to featherstone castle in haltwhistle for a 40th birthday....

Did my first mix last night 10L of sunflower to 20L dino... all seems well this mornin including a nice cooking smell, damn i was hungry when i got to work...

Am off to Kwik Save again this lunchtime to see if they will let me have more of that sunny stuff.... lOl ;0) (not got a makro card gonna see if my sis will lend our lass hers)

Stu
    Lovely place Haltwhistle, all of Northumberland is actually?
    What comes around goes around!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Gazbo
      Lovely place Haltwhistle, all of Northumberland is actually?
      yup... inlaws live near penrith village called maulds meaburn,.,, drop the boy for a sit an we is out to play lol
      http://www.manicgamer.net

Comment

• Morning Everyone... i have been offered a supply of oil from a couple of local pubs... they only fry chips in one and fish in the other... my question is...

Do i have to wash it?

if so how do i do it? i have tried to search on here to no avail to find the info.... so any help would be appreciated....

BTW been running on Veg oil 50 - 50 for a couple o weeks now and.....

FANTASTIC!!!! i have never been so pleased to smell like a chippy!
        My truck is green in more ways than the colour now .,... lol

Stu

Comment

• Type 'veg oil' into Google.....

Comment

• Originally posted by amethyst
            Morning Everyone... i have been offered a supply of oil from a couple of local pubs... they only fry chips in one and fish in the other... my question is...

Do i have to wash it?

if so how do i do it? i have tried to search on here to no avail to find the info.... so any help would be appreciated....

BTW been running on Veg oil 50 - 50 for a couple o weeks now and.....

FANTASTIC!!!! i have never been so pleased to smell like a chippy!
            My truck is green in more ways than the colour now .,... lol

Stu
            Stu,

You don't need to wash it. That's only when producing Bio-Diesel.

I get Waste Veg from my staff canteen and put it through 2 water filters with 25 & 5 micron filters. This gets all the bits out and any sludge leaving just golden coloured oil.

One of the guys on here, TonyN I think, uses an old pillow case to filter his WVO and says it worls fine.

If you want details of my filter set up, send me a PM and I'll give you the details.

Dave
            Just Vegging Out

Comment

• Hi Dave,
              I got my filters from the following ebay seller

Meare Solutions

He also supplies the polypropelene filters of 25 & 5 microns.

I used copper pipe to connect the filters and have the below transfer pump from

Machine Mart

I have the drum of WVO being drawn into the first 20 micron inline filter via the transfer pump, then straight in to the 5 micron filter and then into a collection drum.

It takes about 15 minutes to filter about 30 litres of oil.

I could probably get it working faster if I used larger copper pipe (using 15mm at the moment).

When I first get the oil, I let it sit for about 2 weeks until it settles. You get a thick gloop at the bottom (depending on how well used the oil is) and golden coloured oil at the top with bits floating in it.

I only filter the golden stuff. The gloop is kept aside and can settle out again. Warmer weather will thin the gloop out a bit too, so you can use a bit of it in the summer, but mostly the gloop goes on the compost or to oil collection bins at the local tip.

Then I put the WVO through a sieve to get any big bits out, and then bung it all though the filter system.

I've used about 80 litres of WVO in a 50/50 ratio. I've just changed my fuel filter after about 500miles of using WVO & SVO.

The truck runs fine. I actually put in straight diesel the other day and found it felt rough, so I topped up with Oil and it felt fine again.

Hope this info helps. Any other queries, give me a shout.

Dave
              Just Vegging Out

Comment

• Originally posted by The Hoffmeister
                Hi Dave,

Meare Solutions

Machine Mart

I have the drum of WVO being drawn into the first 20 micron inline filter via the transfer pump, then straight in to the 5 micron filter and then into a collection drum.

I could probably get it working faster if I used larger copper pipe (using 15mm at the moment).

When I first get the oil, I let it sit for about 2 weeks until it settles. You get a thick gloop at the bottom (depending on how well used the oil is) and golden coloured oil at the top with bits floating in it.

I only filter the golden stuff. The gloop is kept aside and can settle out again. Warmer weather will thin the gloop out a bit too, so you can use a bit of it in the summer, but mostly the gloop goes on the compost or to oil collection bins at the local tip.

Then I put the WVO through a sieve to get any big bits out, and then bung it all though the filter system.

I've used about 80 litres of WVO in a 50/50 ratio. I've just changed my fuel filter after about 500miles of using WVO & SVO.

The truck runs fine. I actually put in straight diesel the other day and found it felt rough, so I topped up with Oil and it felt fine again.

Dave
                Cheers Dave!!!

Comment

• veg oil filters

I've been told jay-cloths are perfect for filtering.
                  If you're gonna be a bear... be a Grizzly.

Comment

One of the guys on here, TonyN I think, uses an old pillow case to filter his WVO and says it worls fine.
                    TonyN is this true??
                    Cos if it is and it works with no probs at all i can get my hands on loads of waste veg from two chippies just down the road from me.

I was on the understanding it has to be filtered properly??
                    kev.
                    Regards
                    Kev.
                    2.4 black beast

Comment

• Any cloth will work fine for initial filtering. However, for final
                      filtering, you should use a proper filter with a known micron
                      rating.

Comment

• Once filtered with a piece of cloth surly the fuel filter will do the rest??
                        kev.
                        Regards
                        Kev.
                        2.4 black beast

Comment

• Originally posted by falconer
                          Once filtered with a piece of cloth surly the fuel filter will do the rest??
                          kev.
                          i think Tonyn said b4 that he just puts it through the pillow case and then puts it staight in
                          https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

• Originally posted by stormforce1067
                            i think Tonyn said b4 that he just puts it through the pillow case and then puts it staight in
                            GREAT, but still would like conformation on this just to be safe.
                            kev.
                            Regards
                            Kev.
                            2.4 black beast

Comment

• Originally posted by falconer
                              Once filtered with a piece of cloth surly the fuel filter will do the rest??
                              kev.
                              Selective attention is a wondrous thing.

Yes, the fuel filter will catch a lot of excess.

Yes, you will be replacing your fuel filter more frequently.

Yes, you do run a heightened risk of knacking something
                              else.

Yes, it is a quick and pokey method.

Comment

Hi Dave,

Meare Solutions

Machine Mart

Dave

Hi m8... just out of interest qwhat containers do you use? are they transparent plaggy ones? just wondering as how do you know the level of "gloop"

Stu

Comment

Working...
                                X