Top Gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MattF
    It is one law that I do fully agree with when it's used within it's context. It is, however, open to interpretation. For example, the point Nero made. That technically wouldn't be classed as undertaking providing he wasn't re-entering the middle lane immediately after passing those vehicles. If traffic in the middle lane is moving more slowly than you, it's not undertaking. However, taken within its true context to prevent the numpties who weave from lane to lane with no regard, I honestly think it would be absolute folly to remove that law. You have several people within roughly the same space trying to do that at the same time, (and they would), and it is not merely a probability that there will be an accident.
    Undertaking works every where else, old geezers and the "infirm" prefer the middle and outside lanes 'cos they can stay there without too much thought (driving) IE 30-50mph nice and easy, no mirrors, brake nor throttle, kinda like every fekin LR driver on the planet (exept real cars have heaters).

The motorway is NOT yours FFS Surfs dont belong in the fast lane anyway unless thats where the AA are parked

Comment

Originally posted by AuldNick
      Undertaking works every where else, old geezers and the "infirm" prefer the middle and outside lanes 'cos they can stay there without too much thought (driving) IE 30-50mph nice and easy, no mirrors, brake nor throttle, kinda like every fekin LR driver on the planet (exept real cars have heaters).

The motorway is NOT yours FFS Surfs dont belong in the fast lane anyway unless thats where the AA are parked
      Oh, I do apologise for my previous post. For some weird reason, I thought you were debating reasonably rather than just spouting bollox.

Comment

Oh, I do apologise for my previous post. For some weird reason, I thought you were debating reasonably rather than just spouting bollox.
        Chuckle.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by M35A2
          Mmmm I'm sorry to say this, but I think you are a bit judgementle. What's wrong with bikes? It's the riders that are the problem, not the bikes. But if you have owned a bike then you will know that "CAR" drivers are the most lethal thing on the road, as they never look and are hell bent on killing you.

I love ALL forms of transport with an engine. You need to lighten up a little, enjoy the internal combustion engine while you still can.

Do you work for a Labour council by any chance??
          You're right when you say it is the riders and this would of course be true for any machine. Even the gun and the bullet, nothing wrong with the invention just those that use it. No, I have never owned or wanted a motor bike. I maintain that they are generally unsafe and provide little comfort. Speed has no interest to me now as I have owned many fast cars and have got that out of my system so to speak. Possibly you are that considerate, law abiding motor cyclist that I am yet to meet. However, I drive many miles each month and witness most days motorcyclists undertaking which is a dangerous act. I happlily cruise at 70 on the motorways and bikes overtake me at well over 100mph. I have read the highway code and abide by it so why don't they. I too appreciate that there are car drivers who do the same but the bikes are the main culprit.

I too enjoy all forms of transport including steam powered and would go on to say that most machines hold an interest for me and agree that we should enjoy them while we are able to but not at the reckless expense of others.

As for working for a labour council I state that whoever I work for would not influence my views. Not much difference between labour or conservate run councils. I have worked for both and really nothing changes, certainly nothing to influence the mindset of staff.

Comment

The rocket was special and the clarkson's decision NOT to take part make it for me.

Cars are nothing more than transport to me if I want fun I ride my bike, 200mph+ or cruising 5 countries in one day. I drive if I need cursing every mile, I ride for fun loving every long journey (even better now with them car catching Specs cameras).

Time for JC to retire and take his uptight, snobby, anal attitude with him. He's nowt but a talking Tenna Lady
            I've got this picture in my mind now of you driving your Surf just cursing to yourself - do you get any strange looks?

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
              Who being judgemental now?!?!

Quite right.

Motor cyclists are like smokers. So defensive about what they do that blame is quickly shifted on to someone else. In other words you don't have to breath in my smoke! You don't have to use the same road as me! It's all your fault not mine

Ooh, another debate coming on here?

Comment

Originally posted by M35A2
                I'm judgemental on everyone, I'm a truck driver.
                You're not one of those that just swerves out without indicating are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
                  Absolutely agree! He's an opinionated boorish arrogant git but he could be my beer buddy any day!
                  True, but I would have to be well beered up before I could put up with him. Then due to the excess alcohol I'ld probably end up lamping him one on his enourmous chin!

Comment

At least the lorry drivers have an excuse for taking awhile in the middle lane like that, unlike the people in cars.
                    Unless they are driving a 2.4 Surf without the fuel tweaking mod!

Comment

It is one law that I do fully agree with when it's used within it's context. It is, however, open to interpretation. For example, the point Nero made. That technically wouldn't be classed as undertaking providing he wasn't re-entering the middle lane immediately after passing those vehicles. If traffic in the middle lane is moving more slowly than you, it's not undertaking. However, taken within its true context to prevent the numpties who weave from lane to lane with no regard, I honestly think it would be absolute folly to remove that law. You have several people within roughly the same space trying to do that at the same time, (and they would), and it is not merely a probability that there will be an accident.
                      Quite, do we want to drive loke the europeans? Just take the way the French and Italians drive.

Comment

"Old geezers" and the "infirm" have to travel too. Chances are that you too will one day fall into one of these two catagories and chances are it will be the latter if you ride a motorbike recklessly before your natural slide into old age. What will you do then? Stay at home in case you may be considered a nuisance on the road, I don't think so.

It may be that this group of people you derogitavelly refer to are to nervous to switch to an inside lane as it is likely a motorcyclist will be undertaking them.

Comment

Originally posted by beaufighter
                          True, but I would have to be well beered up before I could put up with him. Then due to the excess alcohol I'ld probably end up lamping him one on his enourmous chin!

You'll want to do that anyway, why waste time and money getting drunk first!

Comment

I know we've had them before, but now seems the appropriate time.

Comment

that almost demands printing and turning into a bumper sticker
                              =========
                              =SOLD UP!=
                              =========

Comment

Originally posted by beaufighter
                                No, I have never owned or wanted a motor bike. I maintain that they are generally unsafe and provide little comfort.

I have read the highway code and abide by it so why don't they.
                                Oh to speak without experiance. Learn to ride a motorcycle, it will change your opinion. Yes I am an ex-motorcyclist, yes there are pratts out there but riding a motorcycle is a different art (and with most car drivers staying alive on a bike is an art).

I do however like the fact that you have read and abide by the highway code, with this knowledge I know for a fact that I have never meet you.

My dig at lorry drivers is one I throw at all the drivers at work cause I know the limiters drive them up the wall, and they are only so low because of the flamming EU.

In my last job I used to do 500 miles a shift, mostly at high speed, so have seen quite a bit of other peoples driving, enougth to know mine can be absolutley sh t sometimes.

Oh I like Top Gear.
                                Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Working...
                                X