Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haha, no Nags Head?!

We'll see....

Must admit, I've been pretty delicate after the last couple of times you've been here!
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Got my cooler. 19 row, brand new, push on fittings (like the connections to the rad) so no arsing about trying to find UNF fittings!

Dont happen to know which is flow and which is return at the rad do you? Tony N recommended fitting it so it takes the heat out of the ATF before it goes into the rad.

Comment

Indeed,

this will cool the ATF fluid and maintain the temperature at the coolant temperatures level.

still an issue is the coolant flow return being partially blocked by the original trans oil cooler within the base of the rad (very well covered here and on the aus site)... but as long as the gearbox doesn't add to the coolant temperature... (I got a Merc 190 auto box cooler fitted, which doesn't cover the return apeture)... its all good.

Mine has been behaving exceptionally well (touch wood) since then... temp guage is nailed... never moves, whatever the load...

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
          Dont happen to know which is flow and which is return at the rad do you? Tony N recommended fitting it so it takes the heat out of the ATF before it goes into the rad.
          That's the way I fitted mine - dump the heat before it gets into the system.

As you look at the front of the truck - the pipe on the lower RHS of the rad is coming from the tranny - hot and under a little bit of pressure.

Read these instructions for more info

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...mission+cooler

Give me a call if you want a chat about it.
          Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Will bring it into work tomorrow and lie under the truck pondering where to put it. Might use the wee fan that came with the intercooler on it

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
              Will bring it into work tomorrow and lie under the truck pondering where to put it. Might use the wee fan that came with the intercooler on it
              That would be a cool addition - either a simple switch on the dash or (for you) temperature controlled.

No basis in fact (only miles of ownership) but.... I reckon the tranny cooler is the best mod ever for saving the 2.4 from heat stress.

Comment

Originally posted by plumb bob View Post
                It'll come soon enough, coz it'll take at least that to get the cash together to do all the general maintenance and a few mods that's gonna be needed for the trip, not to mention getting the gear together for the camping side of things.

I figured that I'll need at least a roofrack to carry enough gear for 2-3 weeks on the road, and tbh, I'd prefer a trailor, but that may well be beyond my megre budget, and my mechanical knowledge.

I reckon the best bet is a cut down pickup ( the rear bed with an A frame fitted with tow ball etc) with a truckman type hard top, as that'll hold loads of gear, tents, food, water and fuel, but the 2.4 may have trouble pulling it across the mountains, as it'll weigh almost as much as the surf once it's loaded.

Any thoughts on the subject guys and gals???

Edit; Just found this, looks just the job, but I couldn't see a price for it ( just as well really)

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stage1v...DesertWolf.htm

They start from 6 grand!!
                Save earth...it's the only planet with chocolate

Comment

Thats about 12 time's the value of a 2.4!!!

Hey, you settled on a sticker design yet woman!?

Comment

Originally posted by Trinity View Post
                    They start from 6 grand!!
                    Hi Amanda.

Or should we call you Chicken Shed? How's business?

£6,000???? good grief!!

As Andy says - worth more than the truck by some considerable margin

Comment

• Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo View Post
                      Hi Amanda.

Or should we call you Chicken Shed? How's business?

£6,000???? good grief!!

As Andy says - worth more than the truck by some considerable margin
                      Business is good thanks

I was thinking of using a hen like name for the forum but i don't really like chickens!

More into horses myself lol
                      Save earth...it's the only planet with chocolate

Comment

• i'd be tempted to either adapt a sankey tool trailer http://www.witham-sv.com/infopage.php?ID=1108&Overide=1, or start with a sankey or brockhouse and build an expedition trailer onto it, cheap as chips base to build on but possibly a little heavy http://www.anchorsupplies.com/trailers.htm
                        =========
                        =SOLD UP!=
                        =========

Comment

• Actually Ian, they look like just the job, and to be honest, I doubt I'd even mod it, I'd just fill it up with my gear, and throw a tarp over it.

Maybe put some A/T tyres on it to match the surf for size, and that'll save ponsing about with a roof rack, and at a price I could probably afford.
                          Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

• they are possibly a little on the heavy side, but look good to me. also note that they are on NATO hitches, i'm not sure if you can use a nato hitch with some of the larger ball and pin couplings or whether you actually have to use a proper nato jaw, or swap the hitch for a standard 50 mm one.

+ they're all on leaf springs, i can see modded trailers with shackle lifts or zooki springs
                            =========
                            =SOLD UP!=
                            =========

Comment

• Originally posted by nero279 View Post
                              they are possibly a little on the heavy side, but look good to me. also note that they are on NATO hitches, i'm not sure if you can use a nato hitch with some of the larger ball and pin couplings or whether you actually have to use a proper nato jaw, or swap the hitch for a standard 50 mm one.

+ they're all on leaf springs, i can see modded trailers with shackle lifts or zooki springs

There is a multi type tow hitch available, that would do it I think, and yes they are a little on the heavy side, but they are tough and cheap, and the weight will really only become a serious issue if they got bogged down, or when towing them up a mountain track.

The leaf springs are a good idea too, coz if your surf is lifted, then you can just do a "spring over" lift on the trailer, at no cost.

I like the idea of disc brakes too, less hassle to keep in good working order when doing river crossings

Edit: found this too, trailer covers;
                              http://www.exmoortrim.co.uk/erol.html#3579X3589
                              Last edited by plumb bob; 29 March 2008, 16:44.
                              Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

• All this talk of trailers????????????

Am I missing something? I don't understand why you want to pull a 1/2 tonne trailer around with you.

What do we need in the truck for a couple of weeks in France/Spain that doesn't get taken on a long wekend to Wales? Tent, bedding, clothes etc, etc, etc all that stuff. A few spare hoses, belts............

Food? - buy it as needed so its fresh, same with water/beer/wine?

A Surf with the back seats down is a big estate indeed.

Am I missing something?

Comment

Working...
                                X