Lexurf V.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gary-r View Post
    all finished - over axle exhaust pipes and rear stainless boxes on. battery wiring re-done and tidied up with a hidden master switch to foil the tea leafs.
    yes i left a live link for the ecu memory vince before you ask
    no fault codes everything works and its running sweet.

thanks again vince
    Top job!

Is it much quieter with those mufflers on now?
    How's the cooling system performance now, better?

Comment

• Sweet Gary Just Sweet
      Buncefield Burner

Comment

• Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
        Top job!

Is it much quieter with those mufflers on now?
        How's the cooling system performance now, better?
        the 4 stainless mufflers(straight through type) give it a deep rumble sound. it seems to run a wee bit smoother at high rpm as well. its louder than factory stuff but doesn't attract plod anymore. its still got a nice rasp above 3500 - 4000 rpm

cooling systems working a treat. its been close to 30 here and i've had it in traffic. the rad fan comes on in traffic jams but does switch on and off suggesting the systems about right. the coolers on the trans and engine
        oil work a treat as well - both sit between 80-85 and i've only had the fans on once in a 2 mile tailback.

if anything its probably overcooled for uk winters but a blind would sort that - i mainly did it to make sure i wouldn't disappear in steam and boiling transmission oil in the middle of summer here.

Comment

• more bits

aisin hubs fitted - $60 from the us - bargain

ive also fitted air bags in the back - i need to move my toolboxes (630kilos), hopefully the airbags will help and it wont have a saggy ass and drive like a boat.
          i just put the air fitting on the back bumper so i can add air in a gas station if needed
          Attached Files

Comment

• I like the look of that..
            No king of England is not king of France

Comment

• micksurfv8

Imppresive job. Meny people can converted engine but it all so have too look. Seen Yours projects meny times. Respect man is it amazing special engine bay ! Respect !

Comment

• Hello there Mr. "R"!
                I've been having some troubles (leaks) with my radiator recently and was hoping you might be able to share some extra information / pictures on your cooling system

Firstly: can you let me know where you sourced your radiator from?

Secondly: I can't see where your expansion tank is plumbed to on the pictures. Do you just run without one? The pressure has to go somewhere if things get too toasty, right?

Thirdly: those brackets look very nice - I may have to get something similar made. Any further info / pics you have on the actual mounting of the thing would come in really handy as I'm fairly new to spannering and the front of my truck has already been "fettled" to fit the current radiator in.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

• i thought yours had a new ally radiator in it. where is it leaking - on the tanks or the core.
                  ally radiators don't like being solid mounted, they tend to crack with the vibration. if its a tank leak get someone to tig it back up and rubber mount the radiator. that should cure the problem.

mine was a nissan 300zx twin turbo race rad from e-bay - was £120 if i remember right but i cant remember the name of the company. it needed the inlet and outlet pipes changed and i blocked off the filler cap hole.

i made an ally header tank which sits near the bulkhead with an expansion tank. the header tank is plumbed into the bottom hose using a t-piece. the bottom hose has to be re-routed behind the steering box to make enough space.

the mounts were made from 3mm plate and i used some dense foam to cushion the rad.

the pics show the mounts and the re routed bottom hose. the bottom mounts have the foam and support the rad and the top ones have rubber fixings.

with that rad and header tank it never gets hot even in 35 degree summer heat and traffic jams. it holds an extra 2 1/2 litres of water compared to the old 2.4 diesel rad. bear in mind i also run seperate oil coolers for the engine and gearbox

hope that helps
                  Attached Files

Comment

• found these pics of the header tank and expansion bottle. you can see the pipe on the bottom of the tank that goes to the bottom rad hose. the small top outlet is teed into the heater hose to bleed air from the system.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Thanks for sharing, that answered all my questions!

The radiator has been repaired once already (cores), and is mounted without any suspension so that could well be the cause as you suggested.

I'm just looking at options at the minute but I think I'll need something new unfortunately. It was purchased quite a long time ago and has been modified a fair bit.

I don't really have the budget or skills for something like you've managed so I'll have to take a proper look with the front off to see what's do-able.

Thanks again, the pictures have really helped understand the layout.

Comment

Working...
                      X