No announcement yet.

Lexurf V.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ill check the coils tomorrow - they are both new but as its had this fault intermittently it could be a coil breaking down - its worth a try cos i got nowhere today apart from frustrated

Comment

• Swap them one at a time and check with the engine running, testing them may not show any faults.
      Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

• dont have a spare coil here so testing them is all i can try tomorrow - ill ask vince if the old ones are still there and get him to send them over.

Comment

• Ah, I forgot you renewed everything. Could still be something electrical breaking down.

An old trick to test HT circuits is to run the engine in the dark to see if there are any tracks visible. You could mist it with a plant mister too, see if anything shows up (again in the dark).

Comment

• Might I suggest the coolant temp senser as well mate... This was the case on mine. I would definitely go with coils as well though. They are the same as used in the same age MR2. This makes them loads cheaper if being bought locally.
            Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

• Also...is the MAF ok?. These lumps love the air. Mine went like greasy weasel poo, when I forced more air in with a fan.
              Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

• tried the running in the dark trick yesterday - no sparky bits.

the coolant sensor reminds me we had a code for that at vinces. it disappeared on its own. ive got a new one here so ill try that as well.

to my ears it sounds like ignition timing slightly off or running rich - im used to holleys and cdi ignition, this motor is a big learning curve for someone that likes points and condensers.

im just hoping the engine fault codes are whats stopping it shifting gear.

Comment

• Gary, can you remember what cured the transmission problem before?

1st and reverse normally share the same gearset in an auto 'box, so it's got to be an electrical fault somewhere rather than fluid pressure/condition.

I'm scanning a few wiring diagrams for you at the moment so you can see how it's wired and what goes where on the ECU.

Comment

• Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                    Gary, can you remember what cured the transmission problem before?

1st and reverse normally share the same gearset in an auto 'box, so it's got to be an electrical fault somewhere rather than fluid pressure/condition.

I'm scanning a few wiring diagrams for you at the moment so you can see how it's wired and what goes where on the ECU.
                    it was nothing i did - it just started changing gear but its never been 100%.i put a new tps in and next morning i had gears.

im almost certain the od has never worked now i have an accurate rev counter. it always sounded like it needed another gear.

Comment

• MAF...

I just remembered; I took my working MAF off the LS to test one from a breaker, breaker worked fine so I put my original one back on, wouldn't do anything bar tickover. Put the breaker one back on, and it ran (runs) perfectly... Another try this thing...

Comment

• Nice pics - looks

Have you thought about doing the clock as well to match?
                        I'd buy a modded clock if there was one out there as the standard one is pretty rank...
                        "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                        www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

• update

the tps fault is dodgy wiring - if i wiggle the wires it goes from smooth to really rough and cuts out so its the plug or a broken wire - the tps is new.

cured 21 and 28 faults by spraying the connecter plugs - it was ####ing down on friday and they were wet. used some big heat shrink tube to seal the feckers.

the 13 fault looks like the drivers cam position sensor - they both tested ok at around 1200 ohms 2 weeks ago but the drivers side one is now dead.

maf sensor and 2 cam sensors ordered today so hopefully no fault codes next week

all i need now is some gears and ill be able to play in it.

Comment

• Woo-hoo!
                            While you're here, is that labled overdrive wire (blue/yellow stripe) still there thats coming from the ECU?
                            If it is, connect it to the yellow/green stripe wire in the blue plug thats under the gear shift surround. This will get the overdrive working (electrically)

There should be another wire there that I labled, (blue/white stripe) this is the ECT wire. Apply 12v to it to put the transmission in 'power' mode.

Comment

• Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                              Woo-hoo!
                              While you're here, is that labled overdrive wire (blue/yellow stripe) still there thats coming from the ECU?
                              If it is, connect it to the yellow/green stripe wire in the blue plug thats under the gear shift surround. This will get the overdrive working (electrically)

There should be another wire there that I labled, (blue/white stripe) this is the ECT wire. Apply 12v to it to put the transmission in 'power' mode.
                              yep i left those wires long and tucked them away for emergencies.

ill try that tomorrow if i have some time. hopefully that will give me some gears instead of first.

i found a shift solenoind kit for that box in usa - $550 hehehehehe - cheaper to buy a whole lexus.

thanks again vince im not the worlds best sparky

Comment

• Hey Gary, glad it's running better. The ect thing...leave it in . The torque of the v8 let's it hang in gear quite well, and the allowable band of power is cool.
                                Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Working...
                                X