No announcement yet.

Lexurf V.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just to say thanks again Vince for the info, but we had a measure of the Lotus last night and its ony 670mm from the bell housing flange to the chassis rail behing the seats......
    So would be too tight and he does not want to chop chassis around.
    When you look at original engine sat in there you think theres loads of room just slap 4 more pots over there and you got a V8.
    But looking at your picture there is a fair amount of engine forward of the end of the heads on the lexus lump, not just the width of a cam belt and cover like the original......

He's now considering the ford V6 with supercharger, plentiful spares and loads of room.....

Anyway thanks again lookforward to Lexurf V updates.
    Remember arrows are silent.....................
    Don't forget to tell everyone its indestructable as seen on top gear.......

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
      not seen the write up before no, but have seen the kit before..looked at importing but the shipping was almost as much as the kit, hence building the 3-link..if it ever gets done & works..lol

Originally posted by Paul1566 View Post
      Just to say thanks again Vince for the info, but we had a measure of the Lotus last night and its ony 670mm from the bell housing flange to the chassis rail behing the seats......
      So would be too tight and he does not want to chop chassis around.
      When you look at original engine sat in there you think theres loads of room just slap 4 more pots over there and you got a V8.
      But looking at your picture there is a fair amount of engine forward of the end of the heads on the lexus lump, not just the width of a cam belt and cover like the original......

He's now considering the ford V6 with supercharger, plentiful spares and loads of room.....

Anyway thanks again lookforward to Lexurf V updates.
      Cosworth V6 out of a Granada with a T25 turbo on each bank would be pretty simple. Ignition is already sorted via the Ford EDIS set-up and Megasquirt to manage your fuelling..job done. Looked at that for the truck..but seemed a faff in terms of transmission.

Comment

Just some reference pics.....

Comment

looking good vince - can i ask why the coolers are in the front, i thought they were going inside the bash plate - the oil filter mount will need to go there as well cos the alloy rad is wider. its not a problem, i can re mount them all when i get it back to holland and fit the bigger radiator.

the finish is first class, very tidy mounts on the engine and box
          cant wait to see it and hear it running now.

Comment

Originally posted by gary-r View Post
            looking good vince - can i ask why the coolers are in the front, i thought they were going inside the bash plate - the oil filter mount will need to go there as well cos the alloy rad is wider. its not a problem, i can re mount them all when i get it back to holland and fit the bigger radiator.

the finish is first class, very tidy mounts on the engine and box
            cant wait to see it and hear it running now.

PM'd you!

Comment

i replied - all sorted

Comment

Video tomorrow of it making some noise!
                With and without the mufflers.

So thats 20 days from switching off the 2.4 diesel to firing up the 4.0 petrol V8.

Comment

Comment

Fingers crossed for ya..........
                    Remember arrows are silent.....................
                    Don't forget to tell everyone its indestructable as seen on top gear.......

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                      Video tomorrow of it making some noise!
                      With and without the mufflers.

So thats 20 days from switching off the 2.4 diesel to firing up the 4.0 petrol V8.
                      That is good going Vince, my Lex is going for scrap this wk.. any advice on what else to scavenge of it? Still not pulled 'all' the wiring yet, but it is all revealed ready

Looking forward to the vid

Comment

Originally posted by an1mal_69 View Post
                        That is good going Vince, my Lex is going for scrap this wk.. any advice on what else to scavenge of it? Still not pulled 'all' the wiring yet, but it is all revealed ready

Looking forward to the vid

Make sure you got the igniters.

Make sure the ECU is kept safe, they don't like being bumped about.

Keep the fitting that goes on the V8's power steering pump, you'll need it when you get a hose made up later.

Chop out any long lengths of wiring from the shell and coil them up, they come in handy.

Keep the gear shift link rod from the Surf, you'll need it to connect to the Lexus transmission when it's in the Surf, it's shorter than the Lex one.

Keep the Lex engine mounts, (the part that bolts to the block) and use it as a template to make the new mounts.

Chop off and keep the flanges from the CATS to use when you fabricate your exhaust system.

Keep the radiator hoses from the Lex to re-use later.

I think thats about it.

Comment

How about as many nuts,bolts and fixings as you can get off.
                          Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Cool..most of that is sorted apart from the PS fitting, good call.!!

Got my water pump and timing belt to go on, how far do you strip the inlets Vince, and is it just for cleaning and painting or is there anything to 'fettle' under that lot.?

Comment

I just remove the top part of the intake to give it a de-coke, clean and paint. If they're really bad, I also clean the ports out with a wire brush attachment in a drill. I re-use the gaskets but smear both sides with RTV sealant to make sure they seal.
                              Give the throttle body a good clean out too, because it will be really badly coked up on the plenum side. The gasket for it is paper, so just scrape it off and use the RTV sealant before fe-fitting it back on the manifold.

Top Tip:

The LS V8's fuel line pipes are hard to get at when the engine is installed, so either fit some lengths of 8mm fuel hose to them first, or cut them near the top of the engine and bend them slightly to make it easier to connect up later.
                              If you leave them at the bottom of the engine, you'll need to make up a heat shield where they run up to the filter. (Unless you mount the filter under the floor of course) I also use proper fuel hose clips, two on each hose, no need for the nut and flare method, the fuel pressure isn't that massive.

Comment

oarsome top tip that one

Got so much to be getting on with, including the SAS, don't know where to start really..gonna get the shell gone this wk, hopefully tomoz, thats a little milestone.

Be lucky to hit 20wks, never mind 20 days..lol

Comment

Working...
                                X