This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by solent_surfer
    Just to let you know, I've been running my '96 3rd gen on 80% svo for the last 10 months with no repercussions. I have done nothing to the engine apart from heep a good eye out for it and put a bit of injector cleaner through it every 3-4 tanks. I have it planned in to fit an electrical self regulating preheater to the fuel system to ease the strain of starting which will cost 135.00 dollers from the US.

Can't beat the sweet smell of your local chippy!

I'm looking to buy a surf, and the idea is I will run it on SVO - Would you guys who have been using this for a while be able to answer a couple of questions for me? Firstly, where do you buy your oil from?! Do you pre-heat the oil/run on diesel initially until the engine is warm? Have you thought about making your own bio-diesel to get the lower rate from c+e if not, is that because its lots of hassle? And just to confirm, does SVO come under the ULSD tax rate?

Comment

• Originally posted by gregwho
      I'm looking to buy a surf, and the idea is I will run it on SVO - Would you guys who have been using this for a while be able to answer a couple of questions for me? Firstly, where do you buy your oil from?! Do you pre-heat the oil/run on diesel initially until the engine is warm? Have you thought about making your own bio-diesel to get the lower rate from c+e if not, is that because its lots of hassle? And just to confirm, does SVO come under the ULSD tax rate?
      i go to Tesco and buy 15 3lt bottles at a time and pour it into the tank and stick £10 of desiel in aswell and away you go
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

• Originally posted by stormforce1067
        i go to Tesco and buy 15 3lt bottles at a time and pour it into the tank and stick £10 of desiel in aswell and away you go
        Hey Richard, I've just this week noticed Tesco's do a 15lts Drum for under 8 squid ....

There's always a Payback.... You just can't see em Comin !!!!
        Buncefield Burner

Comment

• Originally posted by Surferjess
          Hey Richard, I've just this week noticed Tesco's do a 15lts Drum for under 8 squid ....

There's always a Payback.... You just can't see em Comin !!!!
          guess where i'm going then this w/end...lol

Comment

• Just bought a 3rd gen 3 litre auto and can hardly believe that by going to Tesco and buying veg.oil the car will keep on running. Is it really that easy,no mods or anything.

Graham

Comment

• Originally posted by gmac11240
              Just bought a 3rd gen 3 litre auto and can hardly believe that by going to Tesco and buying veg.oil the car will keep on running. Is it really that easy,no mods or anything.

Graham

Yup. In the colder months you may have to dilute it with normal diesel as the veg oil thickens up when cold.
              You can of course fit a fuel warmer to thin it before it gets to the injectors.

Comment

• got a question.

when i use veg oil (27lts oil to 16lts of diesel today) i find my fule consumption is alot less. False economy???? also loose some power. how does everyone else fine it??
                Passat G60 Syncro 4WD 200hp FOR SALE .

Comment

• Originally posted by G60-R
                  got a question.

when i use veg oil (27lts oil to 16lts of diesel today) i find my fule consumption is alot less. False economy???? also loose some power. how does everyone else fine it??
                  You mean your fuel consumption is higher, not lower. Yes, that will happen,
                  but it shouldn't be a vast difference. If so, you have other problems. SVO
                  is not an exact replacement for derv. You will have a gnat's less power and
                  the consumption will be slightly higher.

Comment

• Fuel Economy on Veggy Oil

Hi Guys,

Great, this information sharing on ppo experiences. I know it's winter in the UK but here in Fiji it's slowly heating up (and then I don't mean the coup)

I have compiled three year data on the fuel usage of my hilux 2.4 running on various blends of coconut oil. My findings? a 30% blend of coconut oil leads to a 6% decrease in mileage. If it were a linear relationship (which I don't necessarily expect) it would be down to 24% at pure coconut oil. On the basis of the lower energy content of coconut oil, one could expect at least 10% though.

So the difference is caused, in my opinion, through more energy required to pump the fuel, the moisture content in coconut oil (2% in my case) and less efficient burning. We all know that Hiluxes were not made for vegetable oil to begin with, but they run damn' good on it, even though the diesel guzzle of 7 km/l is worsened by coconut oil up to 24%!!

Want to read more? check the efficiencypage of the coconut hilux pages: http://c.1asphost.com/cloin/nutefficiency.html

Keep on experimenting!

Cheers,
                    Jan
                    [url]http://c.1asphost.com/cloin/coconutshiluxindex.html[/url]

Comment

• I've just read every single post in this thread , I have taken everything on board and conclude that buying SVO from retail or trade outlets for between 45 and 50p per litre , and then about the same again to the government is pointless , So a hypothetical question to you technical guys out there , if i were to try an initial 80% derv to 20% svo mix for a couple of weeks just to make sure my vehicle was OK on it , and then decide not to bother , how long would it take after going back to ordinary derv before the glycerol found in the svo was so small it would not register in the unlikely event of being stopped and dipped ? and also do lidl still sell cooking oil for 9p per litre
                      Former owner of 94 Surf SSR-X 3.0 TD

Comment

• Originally posted by RobOnBlackbird
                        I've just read every single post in this thread , I have taken everything on board and conclude that buying SVO from retail or trade outlets for between 45 and 50p per litre , and then about the same again to the government is pointless , So a hypothetical question to you technical guys out there , if i were to try an initial 80% derv to 20% svo mix for a couple of weeks just to make sure my vehicle was OK on it , and then decide not to bother , how long would it take after going back to ordinary derv before the glycerol found in the svo was so small it would not register in the unlikely event of being stopped and dipped ? and also do lidl still sell cooking oil for 9p per litre
                        The way they are pulling people and dipping tanks at the moment it wouldn't be worth taking the chance.Each month you are sent a form to fill in and return with payment for what you have used that month

Comment

• I've printed the form, filled it but where does it get sent to, searhed for the details but don't seem to be able to find them.

Alan...

Comment

• Originally posted by Phaeton
                            I've printed the form, filled it but where does it get sent to, searhed for the details but don't seem to be able to find them.

Alan...
                            HMCE
                            Mineral Oils Relief Center
                            Dobson House
                            Regent Center
                            Gosforth
                            Newcastle-on-Tyne
                            NE3 3PF
                            Lean Green Veggie Machine

Comment

• Originally posted by RobOnBlackbird
                              do lidl still sell cooking oil for 9p per litre
                              yeah and jags for a fiver!!
                              don't we all wish!!!!
                              Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                              Tony

Comment

• Well 2 weeks since i sent my EX103 and 1 week since i sent my EX103a back to Customs. Made a call today and they processed the forms on line as I waited . Now I can smell like a chippy legit now . Ps they are looking to reduce the rate of duty to try and get more people converted over to the smelly side .
                                Lean Green Veggie Machine

Comment

Working...
                                X