Facebook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trunks View Post
    Don't get me started mate. You know when you wish you'd never done something? Well, that!

The front diff is now in, with the new shaft, but the mechanic says its now permanently in 4wd and the 4wd switch on the shifter does nothing.
    Just turn the free wheeling hubs to put it in 4wd.

But that's not what all the other advice iv'e had suggests. I have been told by people who have done the swap that (if re-wired properly) the 4wd button still engages & disengages 4wd from the transfer box - when the button is not pressed there is no power/drive to the front diff.

I really don't know what the deal is.
    Sack him...the ADD ONLY disconnects the diff/front prop from the front drive shafts to reduce drag. The gen 2 is part time 4x4, the four wheel drive part is delt with by the transfer box which is totally unnaffected by the front diff (menchanically at least). The electricery may monitor engagement and complain, that'll only stop you going into 4x4 not keep you in it.

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/add.htm
    http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/add/

The button is engaging the actuator on the transfer box and causing the ADD to engage the front shafts, which in this case is not important since your new diff is already engaged.

You've essentially done the ADD delete..finish off the wiring as per the above link and forget about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdAMEZVoJV8
    Last edited by andyverran; 28 January 2015, 23:37.

Comment

Only people who don't moan about Facebook are people who use Facebook. Funny that.
      Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
        Only people who don't moan about Facebook are people who use Facebook. Funny that.
        shh, 1st ruke of Facebook, we don't talk about Facebook

Comment

I only discovered/joined it (the surf page) last week!!

My ex set me up with a face book account as I refused... infact I didn't know I HAD a Facebook account for the first 6 months.. until people from work started asking me why I hadn't accepted their friend requests...

My slight issue with face book groups like that it that they are SO easy to access, they really do attract idiots... so there are more illiterate half wits that ask stupid questions that could be Googled instantly..

But there is plenty of interesting stuff, and I've seen a few trucks and faces from here tough!

My little forum also died due to Facebook, admittedly it was pretty much just for my mates to stay in touch, and the group chats make it really easy for a group to arrange meeting up and what not, without picking up a phone.
          More Lift.
          More Tyres.
          More Engine.

Comment

I happily use facebook but don't feel the need to post much myself on it. As people have said, it's good for keeping up with people who you don't see locally anymore. Our friends recently moved to Oz and it's nice to see them enjoying the sun while we freeze our bits off.

And you have to remember it was designed for young, rich students at posh colleges in America to "Socially network". That culture set the benchmark for the kind of content you see fb criticised most for. Unfortunately it's a massive thing for kids anywhere to fit in and have the right image and a lot of today's youngsters use fb and instagram etc. as their own "Brochure" to project their glossed-over, aspirational "Public Image".

My wage-slave existence, I suspect, is not the stuff of dreams - here's me going to work at 6:50AM, here's me in my 19 year-old truck, here's me walking in the rain to the retail park, here's me stuck in traffic, here's me having my tea, here's me putting the kids to bed, here's me doing the dishes, here's me posting about 19 year-old trucks...

I think the way it's organised (with a timeline feed) does not really lend itself to forums, where threads are organised, can be searched and can be expanded, but because people are too lazy to go to another site they tend to use facebook as an aggregator of all their interests.

I think there is still a place for forums, especially when you grow up a little bit and realise how it's probably not a good idea to have chronicles of your failed relationships, domestic spats, mullets, slagging work off and mooning and vomiting all over the internet when people are looking you up, and when fb are happy to sell your data on to big business. Make sure your privacy settings are appropriate - Candy Crush requests are just the tip of the iceberg...
            Last edited by J i m s t e r; 29 January 2015, 11:05.
            Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

Brilliant description Jimster and so accurate about the danger of displaying your life.
              My organisation check Facebook as a matter of course during background checks.
              Brian

Comment

I have about 40 friends on FB. I know them all and only "Friend" people I like or see.

It's helped me stay in touch with family. Most of the 40 are family. And helps with arranging things in groups.

I never friend anyone who just remembers me from school etc. I find that creepy as ####.

Oh, and I rarely post on my own timeline. I don't get those who post their breakfast etc. Each to their own, though

Comment

Originally posted by Koi View Post
                  Small elite club of non facebook users join here

Can't see the point, yes yes I hear all that shite about keeping in touch with friends etc but that's what the telephone is for?

I really don't give a damn that someone's going shopping, for a coffee
                  do people really think others care what they are doing?

At work I was asked are you on facebook?
                  me: no
                  them: you should be
                  me: why
                  them: because I can add you and you can see my holiday photographs
                  me: I work with you because I have to it doesn't mean I want to spend my spare time looking at your holiday photo's. (we actually get on fine)
                  them; speechless
                  others; just pi***d them selves laughing
                  I guess they can not begin to comprehend the enormity of the feck I do not give
                  Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

i had to block someone off my news feed for posting a picture of pretty much every meal she ate, even breakfast..!!! I suppose if you have to ask you don't understand

Comment

We had a bloke at work who we befreinded out of manners, but soon regretted it, as his posts were practically incessant, and utterly banal:

"Wonder what's for dinner?"
                      "wtf???!?" (no further explanation)
                      "Morning!"

All day, every day, even during work. It got to the point where we actually doubted he did anything at work other than fb. Another bloke confirmed he did actually do something else...

.. Twitter.

I de-friended him and he was straight over the next day to ask why. I told him I didn't want to read any of his posts. He said I could have just ignored him, he was quite put-out. I think a lot of people are protective about their "Friend count".

His Mondeo often had a flat tyre in the car park, which we would point out to him regularly. He said it had a slow leak, which he was "Monitoring". Then the car suddenly sprouted two large magnetic signs on his doors for his alternative medicine business. Yes, really. He was then posting about how expensive these signs had been.

The other lads from work began to question (to him, on fb) why he hadn't repaired the tyre on the car he drove his kids around in, instead, highlighting if he wasn't bothered about his own kids, he's risking the lives of other road users when it pops.

He began accusing (on fb) his workmates of bullying him, and then de-friended them all, saying he'd never mix work and pleasure again as it wasn't professional. (LOL). 6 months later, he was sending them friend requests again.

He was a bit of a weirdo, overreacting and very insecure I guess. Somehow the constant streams of messages from his "Friends" were what made him feel popular.
                      Last edited by J i m s t e r; 30 January 2015, 09:32.
                      Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

I don't think Facebook as an active member would work for me. I only have half a dozen close friend's and I counted my brother to reach that many. I understand the keeping in touch with family or friends out with easy visiting distance and the shared interest element like the surf section. The rest just seems a bit pointless, or should I try it before I finally dismiss the idea. It does appear fairly benign not with standing the odd loon as described above so maybe my resistance is unfounded.
                        Brian

Comment

there is no harm in trying, although in fairness, you aren't missing that much. I get info about music, photo's and things that interest me on there but there is an awful lot of crap that appears on your wall as well.

Comment

My local councillor uses FB, and is very active in the area which is a very useful source of information.
                            I also follow a few of the old off roading crew, and some businesses that I'm interested in.
                            Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

The new surf page on there has taken off massively It's good Yoshie.

Alan lives on there but it's through that I now know who he is after shooting him down for claiming to have built my bumper

The problem with real names vs user names on here.

Comment

Originally posted by robjames View Post
                                The new surf page on there has taken off massively It's good Yoshie.

Alan lives on there but it's through that I now know who he is after shooting him down for claiming to have built my bumper

The problem with real names vs user names on here.
                                Bwahahahahahaha.I like that one.
                                www.overfab.uk

Comment

Working...
                                X