No announcement yet.

Tow-bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I`ve just rang up to speak to Tom, was`nt there, got to ring tomorrow. The guy I spoke to said they had loads of bars left.

One thing i`m not sure about, would drilling the chassis not weaken it and make it a possible MOT failure?

How about a secure fit, is the bar substantial enough to tow a caravan?

I hope these questions don`t seem too obvious as i`m new to surfs (only had mine 6 weeks and wow, what a motor, 95 `N` 3.0L TD for £2,500).

Great website too!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Monk67
      I`ve just rang up to speak to Tom, was`nt there, got to ring tomorrow. The guy I spoke to said they had loads of bars left.

One thing i`m not sure about, would drilling the chassis not weaken it and make it a possible MOT failure?

How about a secure fit, is the bar substantial enough to tow a caravan?

I hope these questions don`t seem too obvious as i`m new to surfs (only had mine 6 weeks and wow, what a motor, 95 `N` 3.0L TD for £2,500).

Great website too!!!!
      Hi and welcome to the madhouse
      Good price for a 95 3.0L
      Just make sure you paint the chassis where you drill or waxoil it for protection against rust
      If it aint broke dont fix it

Comment

hooray finally took the plunge to get a towbar.... bought one off fleabay...

not a bad price... looks like the ones toequip are selling for 129.99

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=260039763571

Will let ya know when i get it n fit it...

Stu
        http://www.manicgamer.net

Comment

Ordered my towbar today, should be here Friday, has anyone got any tips on fitting, Is it best to redrill the holes in the towbar or just go straight to the chassis?

Comment

Towbar fitting destructions

Anyone got any clues on where the towbar goes. Got mine today from Bullivants (tom) for £40, nice bar too, just no instructions

Comment

Anyone got any clues on where the towbar goes. Got mine today from Bullivants (tom) for £40, nice bar too, just no instructions

I think what you need is on page 2/3 of this thread!
              Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Does`nt help much, I need to know where the top flanges go, do they fit on top or at the bottom of the chassis???

I`m a bit confused with it, I suppose if I persevere over the weekend i`ll get there

Comment

Does`nt help much, I need to know where the top flanges go, do they fit on top or at the bottom of the chassis???

I`m a bit confused with it, I suppose if I persevere over the weekend i`ll get there
                  Mines a different design - two large triangular plates are bolted to the chassis and the tow bar is welded to them.

Offer yours up to the chassis and see what you can see - it shouldn't be a problem - just use nice big high tensile bolts, well tightened.
                  Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Normally at the back...

>legs it<
                    http://www.manicgamer.net

Comment

Once you get under the truck it will mostly become clear. I removed my back section of exhaust, as you have to redrill the mounting but I had a small hole in it so was taking it off for welding.

The nearside one has an extra lug welded on for the exhaust this goes to the outside so it easily identifies each part. Don't assemble it before fitting, I started at the offside, offer it up to the chassis, there is a cutout on the arm which goes against the chassis once you can see that the rest falls into place. Put the top bolt through & let the arm hang, it doesn't go anywhere, then decide which order you put the spacers, tubes etc I'm still working on that one for the middle fixing. Don't tighten anything up yet, then do the same for the nearside. Then offer up the crossmember, the flange goes to the top & it mounts under the arms, put the four bolts in & finger tight.

Then go round the rest & give a good tighten, I would then say drill the holes, but I haven't done mine yet, been too busy & can't decie on order of tubes, spacers etc. To get this far is less than 30 minutes. I removed the exhaust bracket & drilled it on the bench.

If you need photo's then I'll get some after work tomorrow, weather permitting.

Alan..

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst
                        hooray finally took the plunge to get a towbar.... bought one off fleabay...

not a bad price... looks like the ones toequip are selling for 129.99

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=260039763571

Will let ya know when i get it n fit it...

Stu

Did you not read the first post in this thread???

Comment

Thanks Alan, I think some pics would help as I can`t decide how far towards the rear to mount the side plates.

Once I can spend some time on it, i`m sure i`ll have no probs.

Also, has anyone had any trouble logging onto this site, I hav`nt benn able to log on for ages??????

Cheers

Comment

Thanks Alan, I think some pics would help as I can`t decide how far towards the rear to mount the side plates.
                            Not sure what you mean here, there's only one place to mount them?

Hope these help

Originally posted by monk67
                            Also, has anyone had any trouble logging onto this site, I hav`nt benn able to log on for ages??????
                            Cheers
                            Looks like it's been down all weekend, time to pay my dues & become a member I think, so the guys/girls can have some new hardware to play with.

Comment

Very nice but! Your'e back bumper is looking rather RUSTY on the inside
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                              (")_(")

Comment

Many thanks Alan, Thats just what I needed and so quick too, hope the site does`nt go down again....I was lost without it.

Comment

Working...
                                X