No announcement yet.

1994 4Runner V6 3.0 aka The Beast..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tore the Top End of the 3VZ-E a couple of weeks ago, managed it in a single day which pleasing - this was my first time, so I really had no idea how it was going to go..

Had no Bad Luck on the way down, with all the Head Bolts coming out without issue / breakage / snappage etc.

Head Gaskets still in place in the Photo above, so we could inspect the condition and failure point..

The Usual Suspect was the blame, with the Gasket failing around Cylinder Six.. Visible Signs of the failure with a nicely washed Cylinder thanks to the Coolant.. Anyways, moving on..

Heads went off to a local Machinist..
    Last edited by kingroon; 27 February 2024, 10:50.

Comment

If anyone needs a Machinist in the South East / Brighton area, I can recommend Sprabuild.. Old School Perfection..

​Back in the Garage, time to prep the Block to take the Heads.. WD40, Flat Iron Block and some Emery Cloth to smooth out any imperfections.. Nice and slow, steady and uniform down the length of the Cylinders..

Air blown Threads clear and clean, time for the Head Gaskets to be offered up..​

Job made easier with L & R markings to correspond with the Pistons..

Lovely skimmed Heads, with new Valves, Springs, Guides and Seals.. On they go, then the Camshafts removed to gain access to the Bolts..

RTFFSM..

Speaking of which, I host the Full Service Manual on my Dropbox, made Public..
      Last edited by kingroon; 27 February 2024, 10:14.

Comment

New Knock Sensor Cable, new Lower Intake Gaskets..

Tackled the Fuel Injectors at this point, with a new Seal Kit from Mr Injector UK. For the 3VZE you need Kit 109, and one of two Seal Kits depending on your Engine Spec; 14mm or 16mm. They sent me both as I was unsure, turned out to be the latter.

They came up pretty good..

Last edited by kingroon; 27 February 2024, 10:54.

Comment

Cam Pulley back Plate, Cam Pulleys on..

Cam Pulleys Cover, Fuel Rail and Rocker Covers on.. Upper Plenum Gasket offered up..

..and finally the Plenum itself.. And then Vacuum Hoses, Throttle Cable and Electric Connectors reunited..

Comment

While it looks as though it was Plain Sailing from the Photos above, I can tell you that it was not.. The Rebuild took 3 Days that were beset with distractions, interruptions, crossed Threads, late delivery of parts, Coffee Runs and a rather serious issue discovered with the Steering Column; we had to remove it to gain access to and allow movement of the OS Exhaust Header, and glad am I too that we did..

It became apparent that at some point during the disassembly or reassembly of the Body and Chassis while the 4Runner was in Somerset, the Steering Column was not attached/detached properly and was pulled, dislocating the Retainer Clip that holds the Engine Bay Column Section into the rear of the Cabin Section of the Steering Column, meaning that the section was held in by its position only; it was not secure.

When I applied a small amount of force, pulling the Column, it fell out of the Connection causing the two to be disconnected and hence No Steering. It was quite a terrifying prospect to think that this could have happened on the Open Road, or Motorway, or even whilst driving through a Town or Village jolted by a Pothole, Speed Bump, whatever. Indeed, when I used the Tilt mechanism, it fell out of its own accord. Like I said, terrifying stuff..

I haven't contacted the Garage on Somerset about this yet, but I intend to.

You can see here how the Circlip should be, in a Steering Column I managed to source during the Week between Teardown and Rebuild..

So, fitting the replacement Steering Column ate up a bit of time..

Once removed, we needed to transplant the Ignition Arm and Barrel from the old to the new unit; welding on a Nut to the Sheer Bolt and then teasing out with a Wrench..

Comment

Back to the Rebuild, it came time to address the Fluids.. First on the List was to check the Old Oil..

We knew it would be an Emulsified Soup of Oil and Coolant, but we needed to check for any Metal.. Good News again, with no Flecky Sparkly bits..

New Filter threaded on and Coolant Hoses reattached, the 3VZ-E was topped up with Toyota 10W-40 and Long Life Red Coolant, both sourced from Rough Trax..

Comment

The Top End Rebuild Saga continues..

I left the 4Runner in Brighton with Andy as he did not want to let me have it back without a decent Road Test; he wanted it to be 100%.. Good job too..

While driving the 4Runner, the Engine Temperature Gauge would sit happily at the midway, the Coolant being cooled sufficiently. However, when sat idling, the Engine Temp would rise slowly but surely, until rev'd beyond 1000RPM, thereafter the temperature lowering to an acceptable reading. It was a little puzzling..

After a phonecall and some discussion, it was decided that the introduction of the upgraded Aluminium 4 Core Radiator was to blame..

The 3VZE Engine holds approximately 9.5L [out of the Factory] of fluid in its Cooling System, but the introduction of the new Radiator upped this capacity to nearer 13L which put additional, and as it turns out untenable, pressure on the Water Pump to do its job; it simply couldn't push that amount of Coolant around the System at idle / 750RPM.

Short of the introduction of an additional Water Pump such as a Davies Craig unit, a return to OEM Stock Radiator was the only option..

Comment

I opted for a Mishimoto unit, which is a quality brand and an endorsed replacement for the 3VZE Radiator. Only trouble is, they tend to be manufactured on demand from Denmark, rather than held in stock, and since no UK Supplier had one, I tracked one down in stock at FR Sport in the US; moreover, it was in a Sale and they shipped Worldwide.

In it went..

Topping off the Job, literally, is a 0.9 Bar Rad Cap [not supplied with the Radiator rather frustratingly] and with the requisite Litres of Red Coolant poured in and the System bled, the Job was [finally] done.

Lessons learned..? You betcha. And expensive ones too; but there’s an idiom about that, I’m sure.

Burbling back home through the Sussex & Kent Countryside, looking over the Steering Wheel, I found myself experiencing a sense of Pride. Pride that I had Top End rebuilt the V6 under that Bonnet, something I had never done before, something at great emotional expense [as well as financial, obviously].

Comment

Working...
                  X