Disassembling viscous fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my mod is going wrong....again
    the kenlowe comes with a silicone rubber band that goes on the top hose to seal in a temp sendor that sits inside the top hose , nobby here snapped the band so has to order a new one.
    if you look at my avatar you will see my prob, i have 4 spots on those bars so i had a very restricted air flow in front of the rad.

the atf cooler is now fitted so when i get the new band i will be able to set the fan up and report on here.

as for the surfs std electric fan the sensor by the stat is an earth wire, the surf useses lots of earth/negative swiching in its electrics so were the sensor wire come from the sensor just cut it and exten the wires into the cab and put a simple switch across the 2 wires and and then u can turn it on independantly, also if yuor wire brakes the fan will come on all the time rather than fail to work--i used the rear window heater swicht as my switch as the heated rear is fryid
    Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Matt, Do you have spotlights in front of your grille?

Comment

second to last pick shows my temp fan over ride where i cut into the sensor wire and took it to the switch on the dash

the last pick is of the silicone band i broke
        Last edited by mud skipper; 28 March 2008, 14:26.

Comment

John, is your water pump still driven by a belt? as I can't see it in the pics.

Comment

this is the reson i had a free air flow prob, i changed those spots for bigger ones and added 2 more 1 either side of the number plate
            from the front there was only 6 inch visable of the rad and the under slung aircon stopped all air flow as u can see in the prev shot
            Last edited by mud skipper; 28 March 2008, 14:30.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
              John, is your water pump still driven by a belt? as I can't see it in the pics.
              yes the 2 belts are there it was the angle of the pick

Comment

Phew!!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                  Matt, Do you have spotlights in front of your grille?
                  Not now. There was a pair of IPF's on when I got her, but I whipped
                  them off a few months ago.

Comment

Originally posted by john.sally
                    second to last pick shows my temp fan over ride where i cut into the sensor wire and took it to the switch on the dash

the last pick is of the silicone band i broke
                    Christ. Had you been furrowing fields with your aircon rad?
                    The Kenlowe and atf cooler look good. Bash plate looks rather
                    fetching in silver. Have you put the atf cooler inline with the
                    original cooler, or independent from the main rad?

With regards to that silicone band, can't you just use some gasket
                    compound on the hose/rad join to seal where the wires go in? I see
                    I'm not the only one who has cr*ppy luck.
                    Last edited by MattF; 2 July 2006, 23:38.

Comment

• Originally posted by MattF
                      Sorry. Open circuit. Disconnect that sensor and the fan will kick in.
                      Easiest way to check if the fan is working is to unplug the connector
                      from the sensor. Fan should then kick in. No idea as to what type of
                      feed/switching arrangement it uses as of yet. Been meaning to check
                      it out, but haven't got round to it yet.
                      Thanks Matt, Dont know where i got two wires from as there's only one Gonna have a go at it tomorrow Ian
                      Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

• Good pics John, Regarding the spot lights, I've got six on there plus the number plate and i have'nt really noticed any difference in heating up before of after i fitted em, Its about the same and i have caned it when i've been to Brighton, Possibly the mud giveing you problems?? Soon see when you get her back together Ian

Comment

• Originally posted by ian619
                          Thanks Matt, Dont know where i got two wires from as there's only one Gonna have a go at it tomorrow Ian
                          I'm planning on doing the same to mine. Never hurts to have an
                          extra bit of backup cooling at will as well as temp. I keep getting
                          distracted with other things. (Like bright blue, used to be viscous, fans).

Comment

• Right, I've finally given her the torture test today. The doomsayers
                            had made me that paranoid I finally thought sod it. Decided to
                            wrag the knacks off her. Thought if it is going to explode on me,
                            might as well do it in style. Still intact, no wobble, and a sound
                            to die for.

Comment

• Originally posted by MattF
                              Right, I've finally given her the torture test today. The doomsayers
                              had made me that paranoid I finally thought sod it. Decided to
                              wrag the knacks off her. Thought if it is going to explode on me,
                              might as well do it in style. Still intact, no wobble, and a sound
                              to die for.
                              Looking and sounding good then!! You've sold me, I like idea of a "big noise",
                              I think i'll have a go at this, I've been driveing my son's Saxo this week as he's away and while it's very nippy i cant hear the engine when its idleing so i keep thinking its cut out and it feels like your arse is on the tarmac, Much rather drive the surf, But free petrol!!! I can suffer for a week,

Comment

• If you like a roar as you accelerate, pull the rubber elbow off the intake trunking that comes from behind the passenger headlight, and turn it around so it faces the bulkhead (you can remove it completly if you like) and you'll get an induction roar. I've done it and the truck seems to 'breathe in' better.

Comment

Working...
                                X