Finally decided to do a Vince on the viscous fan. However,
    just wanting to check before I start the job, what is the way to
    remove the viscous fan from the engine bay? As a slight side
    question, does anybody have a recommendation as to what
    is the lowest temp thermostat for the Surf that won't be
    counter productive. Was thinking of replacing it with a lower
    temp one. Standard 88 in at the moment.

Cheers.

just done this. take the top half of the rad cowling off, then it will slide out. careful undooing the screws holding the 2 halves of the coupling together, the screws are quite soft, and very tight.
    it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

You can use a 82 deg stat from a 3.0.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Cheers chaps.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
          You can use a 82 deg stat from a 3.0.
          Would anyone happen to have the Toyota part number for that one?

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
            I seperated the two halves of the coupling, removed the center plate,
            gave it a wipe out, re-assembled it and drilled through the whole unit
            as indicated in the pic.

Okey dokey then. Looking through one of the archived posts, (that's
            where I've nicked the above quote from Vince), , looking at a
            disassembled viscous fan here in front of me, which is the centre
            plate? Nothing inside appears removable.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
              Would anyone happen to have the Toyota part number for that one?

Cheers.
              Not a Toyota part number, but roughtrax sell a genuine toyota part.
              It just does, OK?

Comment

if you get the piece with the flange that bolts to the engine rather than the half the fan bolts to, hold the body, and turn the mounting, thats it!
                i just cleaned mine out and packed it full of silicon sealer. if you do this, you need to leave it open to the air for a bit to let the stuff start to cure. if you do make it solid, its a fair bit louder. doesnt half move some air...
                it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
                  if you get the piece with the flange that bolts to the engine rather than the half the fan bolts to, hold the body, and turn the mounting, thats it!
                  Right. I know I'm going to get called a dense bugger now, , but how could
                  that bit be removed? That's what the flange is connected to, isn't it? If it was
                  removed, what would the flange connect to?

Also, just out of curiosity, underneath that flange plate, there are three screws
                  that don't appear to do anything. Do they actually do anything?

i just cleaned mine out and packed it full of silicon sealer. if you do this, you need to leave it open to the air for a bit to let the stuff start to cure. if you do make it solid, its a fair bit louder. doesnt half move some air...
                  Packed it with silicon instead of bolting it? With regards to making it louder,
                  it's not as if the Surf purrrrrrrs to start with, is it. Glad to know it makes a
                  noticeable difference. Going to fit an override to the electric fan as well. If
                  that don't keep her cool, something's seriously wrong.

Comment

the three screws adjust the temp that the fan cuts in at, when its working properly. and i have no idea how you get that bit off!
                    it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Thats what I did as a temporary measure over a year ago

Comment

Okey dokey then. Looking through one of the archived posts, (that's
                        where I've nicked the above quote from Vince), , looking at a
                        disassembled viscous fan here in front of me, which is the centre
                        plate? Nothing inside appears removable.

The vicous coupling is made up of three parts, the two outer halves and a plate between them. I removed the middle piece, (just to save a bit of weight really, centrifugal forces and all that!) and screwed to outer halves back together. It's easier if you remove the whole assembly from the engine, it's only four nuts. No need to slacken the fan belt.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                          The vicous coupling is made up of three parts, the two outer halves and a plate between them. I removed the middle piece, (just to save a bit of weight really, centrifugal forces and all that!) and screwed to outer halves back together. It's easier if you remove the whole assembly from the engine, it's only four nuts. No need to slacken the fan belt.
                          Five parts actually. Guess who was up till six this bl**dy morning
                          doing this thing, and I still haven't drilled or bolted it yet. Just for
                          future ref if anyone's interested, working from front of assembly:

Front outer housing.

Adjustable friction plate inside front housing, (attached to spring on
                          front housing).

Large friction plate inside rear housing.

A plate between rear friction plate and rear housing, (held in place
                          by three screws).

Rear housing.

Managed to remove the front friction plate and spring. The rear
                          friction plate is obviously pressed onto the engine mounting flange,
                          so the rear two plates are stopping. Quick question, to save me
                          any more grief. Would it be okay to put the bolts through the rear
                          housing and friction plate only, without going through the front, or
                          would it be better going the whole way through the housing and
                          internals.

BTW, I am trying to resist the urge to have the housing sand blasted
                          so that I can paint it a garish colour before reinstalling it. Verdict?
                          Should I be a sad get or not? Opinions please.

Cheers once again.

Comment

BTW, I am trying to resist the urge to have the housing sand blasted
                            so that I can paint it a garish colour before reinstalling it. Verdict?
                            Should I be a sad get or not? Opinions please.

Cheers once again.
                            erm.........NO

Comment

Originally posted by dave.j.robbo
                              Not a Toyota part number, but roughtrax sell a genuine toyota part.
                              Cheers for that link Dave. I've ordered it from the Toyota dealer, (I'm
                              one of the lucky ones with a helpful dealer), but at least I knew which
                              one to ask for thanks to that link. Have ordered seal and 82 degree
                              thermostat for a KZN130 3L. That is the right one, isn't it? Thanks once
                              again.

Comment

Working...
                              X