Lexurf V.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lord lucan View Post
    any luck with them wiring diagrams vince ?

Wiring diagrams?

Comment

aaaah i see - it steps the filter forward, will that let you fit the remote housing and give the clearance ok or are the alloy fittings still a problem. just order it if thats the answer vince.

i didnt realise it was so close - thats why i just got a remote kit - ooops

Comment

Ask for the bolts for the soarer filter mount also as one of the LS bolts is too short for the casting..apparently. I have the soarer one to go on mine but didn't know about the bolts until recently. If you want me to measure the casting i can do.?

Comment

Originally posted by gary-r View Post
          aaaah i see - it steps the filter forward, will that let you fit the remote housing and give the clearance ok or are the alloy fittings still a problem.
          My understanding is that a normal filter can be used with the Soarer bracket, no need for a remote kit. But given my recent track record, I'll be wrong on this too (even if I'm actually right, someone will argue that I'm not.).
          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by an1mal_69 View Post
            Ask for the bolts for the soarer filter mount also as one of the LS bolts is too short for the casting..apparently. I have the soarer one to go on mine but didn't know about the bolts until recently. If you want me to measure the casting i can do.?

Thanks mate, but I've got two other V8s here with the Soarer brackets on them, plus a bucket full of nuts and bolts from all the LS400s I've stripped.

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
              My understanding is that a normal filter can be used with the Soarer bracket, no need for a remote kit. But given my recent track record, I'll be wrong on this too (even if I'm actually right, someone will argue that I'm not.).

100% correct this time Andy, but I'm fitting an oil cooler rad to this one so I'll still need to fit the filter kit.

If you look at the engine photos, you'll see the braided hoses with the AN fittings on the adapter.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                If you look at the engine photos, you'll see the braided hoses with the AN fittings on the adapter.
                I saw the hoses, but didn't realise they were for a cooler, I thought it was just a remote filter kit.

While I'm here; what make of Timing belt idler and tensioner pulleys did you buy?

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                  I saw the hoses, but didn't realise they were for a cooler, I thought it was just a remote filter kit.

While I'm here; what make of Timing belt idler and tensioner pulleys did you buy?

There's going to be two 13 row coolers fitted where the air-con rad was, one for engine oil and the other for ATF.

No idea what make the idler bearings were, I didn't look. They were part of the kit Garry ordered from the States.

Comment

just went back and checked the order andy - e-bay usa, mizumo auto parts.

it was a special offer kit - aisin water pump, oem japan idler and tensioner, belt was as available from stock (ask vince the make, i never saw the parts)

£86-00 + £38-00 tracked delivery.
                    great value compared to uk prices.

Comment

Originally posted by gary-r View Post
                      just went back and checked the order andy - e-bay usa, mizumo auto parts.

it was a special offer kit - aisin water pump, oem japan idler and tensioner, belt was as available from stock (ask vince the make, i never saw the parts)

£86-00 + £38-00 tracked delivery.
                      great value compared to uk prices.
                      That is a good price, off to search! I was going to buy a genuine belt, but will wait and see what the kit comes with.

Still a good price, even if I don't use the belt.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                        Thanks mate, but I've got two other V8s here with the Soarer brackets on them, plus a bucket full of nuts and bolts from all the LS400s I've stripped.
                        Cool..don't s'pose you have a soarer sump to swapsies or part ex for LS front pan

Comment

No, sorry.

Are you sure you want a Soarer sump? they sit too close to the diff. in the Surf.

The actual sump pan is pressed steel, so it can be choped and welded to any shape you want really, might be easier for you.

Comment

Yea, im putting a solid axle under whilst it's all in bits. Thought it made sense, so i can juggle everything around to fit rather than fit the motor and then struggle with the axle because I've not considered X interfering with Y (ain't that always the way).

Comment

Originally posted by an1mal_69 View Post
                              Nice work vince.!!

I'm on with pulling the motor out of the LS400 at the mo, had an afternoon on it yesterday uncoupling all the life support won't have time to pull it until nxt wkend though
                              Just a heads-up, there are cables bolted to the cross member under the engine, make sure you release them before lifting the engine out!

Also, I don't know if you've disconnected the propshaft yet, but I've found the easiest and quickest way is to chop a big square out of the tunnel to expose the prop and then just chop through it.

Make sure you chop the three bolt flanges off the CATs, as you'll need them when fabricating your exhaust.

Comment

Are they the 3 10mm ones too the alty.?

The car is up on ramps so i scuttled underneath to do the shaft, they were relatively easy, i.e. didn't need the breaker bar like the surfs, but failed when i realised I couldn't turn the shaft for the top 3 so i jacked up the back corner to spin the trans'.

Didn't think of chopping the inside, i guess im not fully in the mindset that the car is going to scrap..lol

I'll probably hack through to disconnect the shifter linkage. That and power steering lines, disconnect alternator is all that's left I think.

Comment

Working...
                                X