No announcement yet.

KZN185 Cut out & won't restart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The pumps are pretty bullet proof so check the intake filter and the filter on the side of the pump..
    (17mm on top of the pump where the fuel enters, small basket filter inside, and 22mm on the side towards rear with eletrical connector)

Comment

Thank you, I'll check everything that I can before I take the unit down to the Denso dude. I have read on other posts that the solenoid (Spill control valve) can be an issue as well as the filter that you also mention. Incidentally, when I spoke to the Denso guy and described the problem the first thing he did was pull a Landcruiser pump off the shelf and point to the SCV as the probable issue, so let's see!

Comment

Another day of back & forth and the possible cause of the problem has maybe shown itself.

The mechanic was getting ready to take the pump off when de checked the wires again, the same ones I got an eventual reading from on Saturday now had zero volts. He introduced 12v to the pump-side connector and the motor started, but the revs went sky high. So I've told him to leave the pump on for now as with voltage the fuel is clearly getting through.

So........do we think then that it's a definite ECU issue? We took it off in preparation to send off, just in case

Comment

hi
          the reason for high revs when you put power to that valve
          is because there should not be a continues power feed
          the ecu sends a pluse to it to start truck then disconnects itself
          try to put volts to it and as soon as truck starts disconnect it
          you will find truck runs but sometimes a bit eratic
          if that is how it goes it is a deffo yer ecu
          the old git

Comment

I think that when he diconnected the power supply the engine stopped.

Comment

Sounds like the problem I had. See here: http://toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/viewt...hp?f=7&t=33796

Comment

Nice post link to the Aussie site yorta, thanks. Yes it's all sounding very similar I'm afraid to admit

I'm going to take my ECU down to the local guy to see if he does them as well as the injectors etc. I have a price from the ECU Dr of around £175+vat to rebuild so if the Denso guy is a lot cheaper I'll get him to do it, otherwise I'll bite the bullett and get the referenced Doctor on to it.

Comment

Well I'm not sure if this is good or bad news but the ECU Dr says the unit is 100% functioning correctly. They also say the the voltage that goes to the Spill Valve does not come from the ECU.

So, any more suggestions?

Comment

well i think you should get someone else to take a look
                    well he be correct in one sense there is no voltage to it
                    the ecu sends a pulse and when it starts there is no volts going to it
                    until you want to start it again
                    can you get someone to loan you a ecu to try then you will know
                    for deffo
                    when mine when everybody said the same
                    but got to it myself and low and behold ECU
                    got a second hand one been going ever since
                    the old git

Comment

Unfortunately because of the remoteness of where I live there isn't another Surf to be seen.

Comment

Inside the ECU is a circuit board. A tv repair technician will be able to test it and see if any of the resistors, capacitors etc need replacing. They are very cheap to buy. That's probably what the ECU doctors and sinilar companies do. Cheers

Comment

Thank you, but my unit is already on its way back from the ECU Dr with a clean bill of health....apparently!

Comment

The ECU has arrived back so I thought I'd get it plugged in just to see if a week's disconnection made any difference. It did not
                            The engine still turns over but not starting.

Another theory is that the cable from the Spill Valve is damaged somewhere along its length, so we're going to try and bypass the cable at the valve and run a fresh length to the ECU. Just to at least rule something out. So......does anyone know which pins on the ECU go to the Spill Valve?

Comment

Found this link which may also be useful for others; http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsit...%20pinouts.jpg

The red arrows are on the original pic, not my doing!

Comment

Have you had the pump shut off solenoid tested?

Only other thing I can think of, besides low compression on cylinders.

Hope you get it sorted.
                                l'm FAME-ous!

Comment

Working...
                                X