My Head has gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Head has gone

Hey guy's, surf has been coughing out white smoke, difficult to start, at one point was hydro locked, but turned over eventually, I cant afford to pay a garage to do a head job,so I have started striping down bits and pieces myself,

I am using the 1Kz-te PDF manual for guidence but I am still finding things tricky(not an experianced mechanic)
    I am at the stage of removing the turbo, but I am wondering how to remove the Turbine outlet elbow, the pic in the manual is a bit confusing, is anyone got other guides or info on how to access the 4 nuts that the manual refers to?

also, will I need a breaker bar, or just a torque wrench? also will I need this
    09268-64020-01 DIESEL INJECTOR SOCKET WRENCH?

and is it worth doing the water pump, thermostat and glow plugs at the same time, I will be calling stevo for a head this week.

I hope I dont feck this up,

thanks v. much.

Paul.

When i did my head i did not have to take off the turbo.But i did replace water pump, thermostat and glow plugs at the same time with a rad and new set of belts.

Comment

Originally posted by Wez ssr-x View Post
      When i did my head i did not have to take off the turbo.But i did replace water pump, thermostat and glow plugs at the same time with a rad and new set of belts.
      I have the same engine as you, so maybe i dont need to either , But I am only following the manual? so now am I on the wrong course?
      what did you use as a guide or are you just clued up, unlike me lol
      cheers

Comment

Messed about a little but just went for it took 3 hrs to get head off.Take off all the bits over the head,leads,vac pipes(i took pic's of where it all went)then took sheild off the turbo and unbolted it from the manifold on the inlet side took pipes off back of pump.Made sure cam was lined up took belt off then Undid head bolts and lifted off all in one took manifold's off on the bench.In all cost £1100 head from rough trax,rad etc etc but worth it and felt good knowing i had done it

Comment

Originally posted by Wez ssr-x View Post
          Messed about a little but just went for it took 3 hrs to get head off.Take off all the bits over the head,leads,vac pipes(i took pic's of where it all went)then took sheild off the turbo and unbolted it from the manifold on the inlet side took pipes off back of pump.Made sure cam was lined up took belt off then Undid head bolts and lifted off all in one took manifold's off on the bench.In all cost £1100 head from rough trax,rad etc etc but worth it and felt good knowing i had done it
          Thats a clean looking engine bay! it's crazy to see the Rad that gleaming!
          very nice job! do you recommend a new Rad and what would be the reason?
          I get what you mean about lifting if off in one piece, with the manifold attached
          I am glad cos that Turbo looks tricky! thanks for helping BTW
          Cheers
          Paul
          Attached Files

Comment

Idid mine exactly the same way leaving both manifolds attached, its heavy so I used a set of steps to stand, straddling the engine bay, to lift it off. Strip and clean on the bench, I also blocked the egr, fitted a tranny oil cooler, an aftermarket temp guage and replaced the viscous fan oil as well as a few other bits n bobs and its running great now.

I recommend doing the temp guage mod and definitely the V fan as I put this down to the overheating with the fan operating incorrectly under load due to the fluid/oil being kaput, oil from here:

http://www.fastrax-rc.com/rc-product...0002849&cat=GA

I used the 6000 wt, and if your towing with the truck fit the tranny cooler too, available from the scrapyard, Rover 75 has an ideal one which fits in the bumper valance. H

Comment

Originally posted by Hazzo View Post
              Idid mine exactly the same way leaving both manifolds attached, its heavy so I used a set of steps to stand, straddling the engine bay, to lift it off. Strip and clean on the bench, I also blocked the egr, fitted a tranny oil cooler, an aftermarket temp guage and replaced the viscous fan oil as well as a few other bits n bobs and its running great now.

I recommend doing the temp guage mod and definitely the V fan as I put this down to the overheating with the fan operating incorrectly under load due to the fluid/oil being kaput, oil from here:

I used the 6000 wt, and if your towing with the truck fit the tranny cooler too, available from the scrapyard, Rover 75 has an ideal one which fits in the bumper valance. H
              ok nice one thanks, feel a bit better now, as some of those bolts looked impossible,
              did you get your head from roughtrax?
              is the fan easy to perform oil change?

I am not towing with it so shouldn't need tranny cooler.

I hope this all comes together!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hazzo View Post

hazzo have you used the rover cooler as a complete bypass for the original radiator cooler or used it on the feed and kept it running through the rad???
                I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

Ok, how did you guys get this bolt off?!!?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Surfsupdudes View Post
                    With a ring spanner.
                    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                      With a ring spanner.
                      tried it wont go over the nut because of the pipe next to it.....
                      tried two different spanners and sockets, they all dont sit flush on the nut, and i defo dont want to strip the head!

Comment

Originally posted by Surfsupdudes View Post
                        You need a 3/8 socket set i think it is.Put the socket on the nut first and then you can get the extension bar on at a slight angle to be able to undo it.This is the only way i found in doing it without one of those special extension bars that wriggle about in the socket for hard places
                        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
                          You need a 3/8 socket set i think it is.Put the socket on the nut first and then you can get the extension bar on at a slight angle to be able to undo it.This is the only way i found in doing it without one of those special extension bars that wriggle about in the socket for hard places
                          ok I will need to borrow one then, thanks for that! ok will try sort that tomorrow,it's only that one nut holding that side up, so I moved on to the inlet side,
                          I have aligned pully one/two to TDC so I am now ready to take the belt off and cam shaft pulley one, but do I need to turn the camshaft pulley anti-clockwise 90 degress?? or leave as is and remove belt and pulley?

thanks
                          Attached Files

Comment

I fitted the new rad as i had spent so much money already an extra £200 seamed like a drop in the ocean.That back nut i did the way Stormforce said and timed it up the way you have then took the belt off.

Comment

once you have got the timing marks all set up then just cut the old belt off and fit a new one.I wouldn't re-use the old belt if your fitting all other new stuff
                              https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Working...
                              X