Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surf 2.4 ln130 will not start

Hi guys

This is my first post on here, and I have a problem with my Toyota surf ! It cut out and will not restart ! (no fuel at injector pipes) it has been running fantastic up until this happened, no warning, no noises, just like I had taken the ignition key out.

I have tried another ECU and there are no faults when I have checked the diagnostics light etc

Is there any of you guys that live in Bristol UK that could shine a light on whats wrong please

many thanks

Paul

KISS
    first are the batteries ok and you can turn it over ok?
    You say you have no fuel at the injector pipes
    do you have fuel at the fuel filter and is it primed ?
    Undo the fuel filler cap a bit does it hiss?
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Hi Shokenore

Thanks for the reply !

The batteries are fine, and in times gone bye, when its been very cold and havn't used the car for a while, when the batteries have been down it has still started ok

The fuel filter was full at the time it broke down and still is and the hand primer is also fine, it goes hard after a couple of pumps and vacuum pressure on release of the fuel cap !

I am still convinced it is an electrical fault somewhere, but where and what ?

I have also put a jump lead on to the engine because I have read somewhere that the earth leads break at the back of the cylinder head but to no avail.

All the dash warning lights are working including the glow plug light, I have also checked all the fuses

Any help would be appreciated guys, getting fed up with it now, seeing that it broke down in July ?

Many thanks

Paul

Comment

Ok
        what voltage do you have at the spill control valve?

3-5 v from memory

Just to refresh when cranking it over have you one of the feed pipe to the injector cracked off?
        Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Hi again, Thanks for sticking with me on this

Havn't measured the voltage at the spill valve yet because I need a volunteer to crank it over when checking it, (from what I have found out on the forum the ECU will send a pulse to the spill valve only when it is being cranked over and obviously when it is running) will find some help over the weekend and let you know what I find

And yes I have left number 1 injector pipe loose in anticipation !

many thanks

Paul

Comment

Cool beans
            you could just jerry rig up a bit of flex and stick it in the connector and the other end to you test probs then stick the multimeter where you can see it.
            Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

LOL Now that's a good idea

why didn't I think of that ?

Probably because all I feel like doing to the surf at the moment is setting fire to it ?

Will get some wire and try that on the week end

I suppose if we do get a normal reading from this test, it will prove that the ECU is working and probably ok and point to the spill valve itself.

I hope I don't have to remove that pump again ! have already done that twice in the past due to fuel leaks

I have in my mind that it may be something to do with the immobilizer but I could also be wrong LOL

Nice one

Paul

Comment

It's always easier when stood back from an issue
                Immobiliser link that s!hit out !!!

Fingers crossed
                Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Where would you start with ripping that out

where does the wiring go and there seems to be lots of it, havnt traced any of those wires yet, looks like a nightmare

Cheers

Paul

Comment

Aftermarket ones could be anywhere

Check the spill control valve wiring first.
                    see if there any link wires tucked away or they may have stuck it up by the windscreen wiper motor.
                    Or
                    They may have wired it in near the ECU.

I dont think the pump has to come out to change the spill valve.
                    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

I have managed to check voltage at wiring connection going to the spill valve and it is reading 7 to 8 volts ! Is this about normal ?

Cheers

Paul

Comment

um I was under the impression it was 3-5 volts and would rise with throttle position.
                        Perhaps your spill control valve is US

do you know what the resistance is on the valve ?

Just checked a spare valve and I have 1.7 ohms across the wires.

So just to check trying to start you wait for the glow plug sequence to finish
                        you should hear a click and you should see a slight change in the voltmeter guage.
                        Then you try to crank it?
                        How long are you cranking for?
                        And
                        is this accompanied by any smoke out the exhaust?
                        Last edited by shokenore; 27 September 2015, 13:02.
                        Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Checked the resistance of the spill valve and its 1.7 to 1.8 also rechecked the voltage going to the spill valve and when cranking the engine over its 7 to 8 volts !

Reconnected all back together and still no fuel at injector pipes ? Fuel system filter and pump full of fuel but nothing no smoke and no fuel ?

Cheers

Paul
                          Last edited by AVONANIMAL; 28 September 2015, 17:27.

Comment

ok
                            crack off the banjo on the fuel pump from the fuel filter and see if you have fuel there?

Bit wierd though and I can understand what a complete ball ache all this grief is
                            Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Hi Shokenore

Already tried that several times, even the AA man done the same at the time it broke down ? but she just don't wont to start ?

anymore suggestions before I buy a gallon of petrol and put it out of its misery

I have had it sort of running on carb cleaner just to rule out other aspects (they don't like easy start)

cheers

Paul
                              Last edited by AVONANIMAL; 28 September 2015, 18:19.

Comment

Working...
                              X