X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fatfires
    replied
    if you trust your gauge (I dont ) you should be able to get in 20 ltrs - that isn t
    too far off 50/50, as a first time trial should suit the bill!

Leave a comment:

• stormforce
    replied
    theres a 55l,60l and 65l tank on the surfs.The best thing to do is to wait till the gauge is low and then fill up to see what size tank you got.I think most are about 65l though

Leave a comment:

• shabby
    replied
    tank size

hi all
    iam gong to try a 50/50 mix with diesel and svo, daft question but what size is a 2.4 surf tank?, if i have half a tank of diesel how mich svo can i put in so not to over fill
    cheers
    daz

Leave a comment:

• malxwal
    replied
    Heat exchangers

Can anyone give an account of experience/advantages or disappointments regarding the addition of a heat exchanger to their fuel system for running on veg oil with petrol (or kero) as a thinning agent, without any other mods ?
    My Surf was a bit unhappy this morning with the temp drop from yesterdays' sunny heat, starting on a mix of about 90% SVO, 8% diesel and 2% petrol, although this could be due to the fuel filter needing changing. Ran sweet as the rest of the day though.
    Plenty seem to run almost all year on solely oil and petrol with no mods, but it does get -5c regularly here in Winter, and I'm wondering if the addition of 5% petrol will prevent the waxing effect alone (and save pump seals), or if I'll need to fit a pre-heater, and a heat exchanger to help the filtering process.
    Last edited by malxwal; 14 July 2010, 21:45. Reason: Additional info

Leave a comment:

• dieselboy
    replied
    Okay Jess,

Leave a comment:

• Diezel Weazel
    replied
    Originally posted by Rupadarshin View Post
    OK, summertime - I'm going up to 50% rapeseed oil on top of standard diesel. What's this about turps - or a dash of 4 Star? Does it apply to diesels or is that petrol engines only? Or is it about thinning down the veg oil / keeping the tank clean and sludge free?
    Have a read here... Happy reading
    http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=55767

Jess

"Cos short cuts cost more in the long run"

Leave a comment:

• Diezel Weazel
    replied
    Hey what Tony, Apologies !! Get outta here ...
    No Apologies needed Buddy (I got Rhino skin)

Jess

Leave a comment:

• Rupadarshin
    replied
    OK, summertime - I'm going up to 50% rapeseed oil on top of standard diesel. What's this about turps - or a dash of 4 Star? Does it apply to diesels or is that petrol engines only? Or is it about thinning down the veg oil / keeping the tank clean and sludge free?

Leave a comment:

• weldaboy88
    replied
    veg oil

Just to let others know my experience,,
    I ve owned 3 hilux,, my 1988 import surf runs on almost anything,,even 100% in winter with no fuel heater.I only use new veg oil .
    THE TWO 1995 3 LITRE 4 RUNNERS I VE OWNED DID NOT LIKE VEG OIL OVER 50% ISH,, TRIED ONE ON 100% OIL AND FUEL PUMPED STARTED KNOCKING INSTANTLY ,,HAD TO DRAIN TANK.
    I ve ran my 2.4 turbo surf on all sorts for 2 years now with no problems other than sluggish performance ,,dependant on whats in the tank,,
    I ve been informed there are many different types of fuel pumps used hence the difference...

Leave a comment:

• Diezel Weazel
    replied
    Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
    I'm keepin you on ya toes!
    (Oh ya won't know, we've not met yet)
    On me sticks more like for (those that know n have met me)

"Cos short cuts cost more in the long term"

Leave a comment:

• biosurf
    replied
    Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
    Dont you guys put white spirit in the tank? Some people use a little bit of petrol but I've not tried it personally.
    My 2.4 used to leak when I used more than 50% veg on the second fill up. So, Whenever I filled it up I used to stick 1 litre of cheap white spirit or two, and it never ever leaked at all after that.
    I put 5-10% petrol in with the rest WVO - 10% petrol thins the oil by 50% making it a much similar viscosity to diesel.

Leave a comment:

• dieselboy
    replied
    I'm keepin you on ya toes!

Leave a comment:

• Diezel Weazel
    replied
    Tony ya really are being picky now ... as I don't use it much, whatever is the cheapest Petrol at the pumps then OK

Leave a comment:

• dieselboy
    replied
    Cant even buy 4star from pumps these days. Unless possibly aviation grade. I dont even recall seeing lead replacement fuel anymore from pumps. Its just the unleaded variation and the two diesels

Edit. I really should invest in some filtering equipment. I live a 4 minute walk from two local chippys.
    Last edited by dieselboy; 1 April 2010, 10:43.

Leave a comment:

• Diezel Weazel
    replied
    Tony never used it meself, If I need to, I add a drop of 4 star ..

"Cos short cuts cost more in the long term"

Leave a comment:

Working...
X