No announcement yet.

Hello!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just because the engine is hot doesn't mean the fan is in lock up.
    The fan needs to sense hot air at its bi metal sensor to lock up.

The fan will be stiff to turn when you first try to turn it.
    After the engine has run for a few mins the oil will be forced out of the clutch rings and into the reservoir
    One way to check it is to idle he engine till normal temps are reached
    Turn engine off leave for a few mins then try to turn by hand if working ok the fan will be stiffer to turn hence lock up
    Putting new oil in is fairly easy search for a how to here
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Ah okay, right.

Well I've just had my original radiator recored and pressure tested, etc, so that will be operating very efficiently all being well.

Symptoms are:

Relatively stiff to turn when cold.

Ran it for a few miles (in cool morning temperatures) to get it to operating temperature, switched off and let it cool for a min like you suggested, checked it again and it was able to spin a little more freely. Not freewheeling, but requiring less effort to get it to turn. If I gave it a proper shove it might have span for maybe one or two blades before stopping. So not much, but definitely easier than cold.

After an hour-long motorway trip yesterday (it was a warm evening but not hot), and with the truck as warm / hot as you would expect from a long run, I checked after I parked up and it was able to spin very easily.

The truck operates fine with no overheating in day to day commuting, town, country, hills, motorway, hot day cold day, you name it. The ONLY two times since the work was done that the temp gauge has climbed was after a long very steep hill (gauge climbed to two-thirds by the top but settled down quickly afterwards) and on another long hill (not as steep, but this time I had O/D off as a precaution), and again it climbed up near two-thirds on the gauge and backed off back to normal quickly at the top.

I'll see if I can work out how to check the fan oil, though now I'm confused that maybe it's working fine, it's just it hasn't got hot enough yet for me to check if it locks up?

Owen

Comment

It's probably gonna be low on oil.
        The easiest thing to do is to get some shock oil from your local radio control car shop or eBay.
        I got mine off eBay for less than a tenner.
        I used 10000cst although I think it is 3 or even 6000 cst originally.
        60cc btw.

Follow the guide on here to take it apart.
        I used an impact driver to ensure I didn't damage the screw heads.
        Split the casing
        I used a thin blade worked all the way around the seal then a light tap with the wooden end of a hammer and the casing halves split open.

Drain out the remaining oil and flush out to remove the remainder

Check the seal is still ok?
        I happened to have a o ring the right size

Pour the new oil in make sure you use all the oil and carefully reassemble.
        Follow the guide on here it has pictures to help you.
        It is pretty easy once you have the fan out.
        Last edited by shokenore; 12 September 2014, 14:46. Reason: Cos I is forget fall
        Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

I think a few people here have the TM2 and a few the engine saver low coolant alarm, has anyone got the combination product?

http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk/shop/i...od&productId=9

Seems a tad steep at £170? Or is that about right?

Owen

Comment

Working...
          X