No announcement yet.

Hello!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure of the reason for the hostility on here.

I bought a Surf that has a full UK service history with every old receipt and every old MOT. It has been kept indoors as a second car for the last 12 years by a middle age gent who didn't use it to go trashing around green lanes. It is in very good condition, has never overheated to his knowledge and everything works on it. Bar importing one myself it's in about as good condition as you'd find one. Bar buying one that's just had an entire head replacement there wasn't a lot more I could have done to find a good one.

Thinking I'd like to keep it for as long as possible I brought it in to my local - and up to this point reliable -garage to give it a coolant change and have a general once over. It overheats shortly after picking it up, probably blows the head and leaves me pretty gutted and looking at a massive bill.

Thinking I'd ask for some advice off some of the wise minds on this forum I'm then up against a few sarcastic comments and people doubting me for some reason?

I am a member on some other forums, which by comparison so far are a fair bit less aggressive and more helpful. Nonetheless, I'd like to thank those people who have genuinely offered their time to write some helpful replies which I can ask the garage to follow in the replacement. You're what forums are about.

Owen

Comment

Originally posted by pyemaster View Post
      Not sure of the reason for the hostility on here.

I bought a Surf that has a full UK service history with every old receipt and every old MOT. It has been kept indoors as a second car for the last 12 years by a middle age gent who didn't use it to go trashing around green lanes. It is in very good condition, has never overheated to his knowledge and everything works on it. Bar importing one myself it's in about as good condition as you'd find one. Bar buying one that's just had an entire head replacement there wasn't a lot more I could have done to find a good one.

Thinking I'd like to keep it for as long as possible I brought it in to my local - and up to this point reliable -garage to give it a coolant change and have a general once over. It overheats shortly after picking it up, probably blows the head and leaves me pretty gutted and looking at a massive bill.

Thinking I'd ask for some advice off some of the wise minds on this forum I'm then up against a few sarcastic comments and people doubting me for some reason?

I am a member on some other forums, which by comparison so far are a fair bit less aggressive and more helpful. Nonetheless, I'd like to thank those people who have genuinely offered their time to write some helpful replies which I can ask the garage to follow in the replacement. You're what forums are about.

Owen
      You are quite right Owen, mate. This forum does suffer from "playground syndrome", where sarcasm and "cliquiness" rule. In this very thread someone just calle dme a troll because I think that 3.0 surfs are better than the 2.4s...(I used to play football so I've been called a lot worse... )
      However if you keep your surf,don't be fazed and stick with the forum. There is lots of invaluable info on here.
      To avoid the "know it all" bullies use the search button. These cars have been around a long time, almost every technical issue has been dealt with in past threads.
      All the best.
      Last edited by tashtego; 29 June 2014, 14:23.

Comment

Which ones are the "know it all" bullies?
        If it's "Cliquiness" you're after, check out the pickup forum!

Owen, once the head is replaced with the newer design, you'll never have any more problems with it.

Comment

Originally posted by tashtego View Post
          You are quite right Owen, mate. This forum does suffer from "playground syndrome", where sarcasm and "cliquiness" rule. In this very thread someone just calle dme a troll because I think that 3.0 surfs are better than the 2.4s...(I used to play football so I've been called a lot worse... )
          However if you keep your surf,don't be fazed and stick with the forum. There is lots of invaluable info on here.
          To avoid the "know it all" bullies use the search button. These cars have been around a long time, almost every technical issue has been dealt with in past threads.
          All the best.

Yawn
          Change the tune dude.

If every now and again you kept your thinking to yourself and didn't at every opportunity roll out the same biased view all the time then perhaps you would not have been labelled a troll, and you too would be secretly invited to join the clique

Why not name and shame these "playground bullies" that have irked you so much or is it just you can't have an adult discussion with anyone that holds a different opinion to yourself?

Prove me wrong and how about a positive contribution for a change?
          Last edited by shokenore; 29 June 2014, 22:54.
          Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Guys, roughtrax do full cylinder head kits for circa £800.

http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=11&cid=614

The kit includes the full head gasket kit, but I'm wondering if I need all of those extra seals in the kit?

The site sells just the head gasket by itself separately, which I presume I could mate up with the standalone head which they also sell?

Could anyone who has changed a head gasket on a 3ltr tell me if I need the whole kit or whether just the gasket would be okay? Obviously I'd need to buy the bolts and cambelt separately too, but I'm trying to understand what are must haves and what are nice to haves.

Also is roughtrax the only place for this really? I see there are some cheaper heads on ebay but they come from Malaysia and I don't trust them.

Thanks for your help fellas.

Owen

Comment

Just read up on the mythical Stevo, does anyone have an up to date number for him?

Owen

Comment

Roughtrax all the way guv. Ebay heads should be avoided like Ebola. Just replace all your peripherals like water pump, stat, radiator if the one you have does or has had steel seal through it.
                Like professor Whacker of bushes said, once replaced, the only thing you'll need to ever change after, is your birds name on the windscreen strip.
                Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

He is called the stockport engine co.
                  Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Doesn't seem to still exist?

Owen

Comment

I don't think for price availability and delivery that you are going to beat the roughtrax price.

You may be able to source the AMC head cheaper but by the time you have added on gaskets and head bolts and all the other bits and bobs and then add on delivery for all the separate items the Roughtrax one comes out on top.Unless you can get trade discount from somewhere?

See if you can give Barry at Roughtrax a call?

I get all my important Surf parts from there, but I do save on the delivery costs as I am often passing their place.

Yes it is expensive very expensive especially on top of your investment already, but like Gra said fit it and forget it.
                      Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Thanks chaps. And the AMC one is definitely the one to get?

Owen

Comment

Thanks chaps. And the AMC one is definitely the one to get?

Owen
                          FFS!
                          Read the previous posts including the links and you could answer your own questions.

Comment

Just wanting to double check and get a second opinion, chill out. I've seen Chinese and Malaysian heads for sale, and am just wondering why this Italian head is considered better. I'm not doubting it, just would like some fresh reassurance before parting with north of £800.

Thanks for your help, you sound like a gent.

Owen

Comment

Just wanting to double check and get a second opinion, chill out. I've seen Chinese and Malaysian heads for sale, and am just wondering why this Italian head is considered better. I'm not doubting it, just would like some fresh reassurance before parting with north of £800.

Owen
                              Ha ha...the league of gentlemen indeed!

I did warn you tho'....

Cheers

Comment

Owen
                                The AMC head is the one that nearly all the reputable stockists sell.
                                It is good value for money.
                                I should imagine that the amount of in warranty claims are very very low.
                                Ask Barry at Roughtrax how many heads he gets back via warranty.
                                Have a search here for warranty returns on AMC heads.

Yes it is a lot of money, but then again not really.
                                Assuming your radiator is still a radiator and the water pump is good and assuming someone hasn't filled the system up with rad sealer steel seal etc just to make sure it doesn't boil over before it disappears from the sellers view then once the head has been competently changed it will last a long long time.

Or not.
                                But it will probably be ok.
                                Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Working...
                                X