Man Cave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Thrifty
    Is your Neighbour Doctor Who? or is that a tardis i see in that garden?
    You didn't read the thread then?

Originally posted by Apache View Post
    It appears to me that Dr Who has stopped in next door. Cant you just get him to wind time forward a bit so it's finished and it's next spring?

Originally posted by knicko View Post
    [ATTACH]32406[/ATTACH]

Site visit by 'The Doctor', accompanied by his mates from the Planning Dept !!
    Last edited by slobodan; 21 January 2012, 17:21.
    Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

• [QUOTE=slobodan;752527]You didn't read the thread then?

Remember who you're talking to............
      " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

• Originally posted by madcampbell View Post
        Ah something like this? Faced with blocks
        ]
        Yep box section catnic as in you picture.
        Brian

Comment

• Thanks for all the encouragement over the months. Waiting on ventilation blocks arriving. However, that aside the block work is finished!

Alan and a few mates are coming over on Saturday to get the trusses into place and the weather looks like it will play ball. Things should move along a lot faster now as frosty nights are not a concern, until we get to the roof ridging process.

Picture to clear up the lintel debate.
          Catnic faced and topped with blocks.

Last edited by yoshie; 26 January 2012, 23:49.
          Brian

Comment

• Hipped roof is more complicated than we thought, mind you none of us have ever tried to fit any type of roof before.

The help, our Alan and a couple of mates.

So far so good

Got a little more complex so as you can see we still have another shift to finish.
            Day off tomorrow and we will get back at it next Saturday weather permitting.

Brian

Comment

• Originally posted by yoshie View Post
              Hipped roof is more complicated than we thought, mind you none of us have ever tried to fit any type of roof before.
              Yeah, it is isn't it, I thought that when first saw your plans.

I wished I done Gables every end of our house now, my first ever roof is T shaped, Hipped one end Gables each end the 'T', valleys and dormers! Just me, Linda and Google..

What a way to learn, lol, and no prefabbed rafters, all made from scratch.

Nothing like leaping in with both feet.

Its looking good though mate. I've really enjoyed building our house.
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

• Top Job Yoshie !
                Death rides a Black Horse

Comment

• Thanks guys, the progress feels greater now that it has started to resemble a garage.

From scratch Tony that must have been a fair bit of work mate. Even with some prefab parts I still have plenty of running of string lines and notching of Hip boards and the like.

All the corner infills have to be hand cut with many like the Hip boards having angle cuts on two planes. Much easier if it was steel, quick carve with the plasma and a couple of tack welds I am not handy when it comes to joinery so slowly slowly will be the order of the day to make sure it's level for my mate to lay felt and tiles.
                  Brian

Comment

All the corner infills have to be hand cut with many like the Hip boards having angle cuts on two planes.
                    Jack rafters.

Done a few hipped roofs years ago, last century actually!

Garage is looking great Brian, first time I've seen a photo of it from the front, looks a lot bigger now, perfect tinkering space.

Comment

• Looking good Bri, i bet you sit at the window in the house wishing it was finished.
                      If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

• Thanks Vince, would have been handy to have you supervise as we were making it up as we went.

Si every morning when I go in the back room for a shirt I check to see if the garage fairy's have done me turn as I slept.

I canny wait to be in there building new benches and organising all my junk, before getting on and messing it all up again.
                        Brian

Comment

• Pity you are so far away, with two people that could be finished in a day,( one cutting ,one fitting) compound cuts are not the easiest things to do when you have never done them before. Might be worth getting a carpenter involved in it for a days work. But then again what do I know?

Comment

Thanks Vince, would have been handy to have you supervise as we were making it up as we went.

Si every morning when I go in the back room for a shirt I check to see if the garage fairy's have done me turn as I slept.

I canny wait to be in there building new benches and organising all my junk, before getting on and messing it all up again.
                            That's the best bit, going through all your crap & saying to yourself "I'm gunna be ruthless" & throw loads away only to find that in the end you've thrown nothing.
                            If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

• It's coming along nicely M8 great job !

Comment

• Shame you'r the other end of the land Brian, I'd have been round to help if it was down the road!

Alan
                                www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                                X