Just wondering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chillitt View Post
    Maybe, two things though, you ant change the question to suit your answer, and anyway you cant push a rope...
    I didn't change the question to suit my answer, I just chose to interpret it differently...!

You are mistaken. You can push a rope. It wouldn't do you much good but you could push it. I suggested using a tensioned wire to provide the forward thrust, similar to how a glider can be launched, or how a steam catapault launches aeroplanes from aircraft carriers.

In the context of the question a tensioned wire would merely provide the necessary force to allow the aeroplane to remain "stationary" while the conveyer belt moved underneath it. Without this forward thrust the aeroplane would move "backwards" along the conveyer belt.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
      Why do you have to be such a miserable sack of shit?

I was just harking back to those days and thinking that most of the people that contributed to that thread had moved on and that we could have a bit of fun by getting some of the newer members into that debate again, but Mr Self-Righteous had to jump in and #### on everyone's chips again.

There's no apostrophe in a possessive 'its' by the way.
      Now, now no need to get in a flap, however, the abusive statement is very entertaining.
      Brian

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
        You're thinking like I did in the orginal thread, the plane is jet propelled, the speed of the conveyer and the wheel speed of the planes wheels are irrelivant. The conveyer can whizz along as fast as it likes, the JET engines will push the plane forward to take off speed.

no it doesn't because "conveyor belt is computer controlled such that its speed is always the same as that of the aircraft" the belt speed always matches the propelled aircraft therfore making it stay still ... no ?

Comment

Originally posted by g3po View Post
          no it doesn't because "conveyor belt is computer controlled such that its speed is always the same as that of the aircraft" the belt speed always matches the propelled aircraft therfore making it stay still ... no ?
          Correct, no.
          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Oh for goodness sake...

HOW does the conveyor affect the speed of the aeroplane if the aeroplane has wheels which are free to move - other than a minimal amount of friction from the tyres on the conveyor?

Imagine yourself sitting on a skateboard on the conveyor belt. Now think of yourself holding on to a rope. You can keep yourself stationary in relation to the world outside the conveyor yes? However, your wheels will be turning exactly opposing the speed the conveyor moving the other way, OK? The conveyor can move at whatever speed it likes (up to the speed the wheels catch fite obviously!)

Now imagine yourself pulling on the rope and moving along the conveyor - the speed of the belt is irrelevant. Takes very little extra effort over keeping yourself stationary. You pull on the rope, the plane pulls on the air. Ergo, the plane accelerates to take off speed and takes off.
            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
              Now, now no need to get in a flap, however, the abusive statement is very entertaining.
              A flap? Very good! This thread is being propelled into insanity again though, as you're ail er ron - g.

Comment

This question makes me wonder how people think aircraft stay airbourne.

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                  This question makes me wonder how people think aircraft stay airbourne.
                  Suction innit?
                  Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Invisible turtles. They're responsible for more than you think!!

Comment

Originally posted by slobodan View Post
                      Suction innit?

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                        Bugger

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                          ??
                          Both would stay where they are unless they had a means of propulsion to overcome the speed of the conveyor/tablecloth.
                          The means of propulsion to overcome the speed of conveyor is the engine - the jet or whatever is pushing against the air not the ground the ground (and speed of) is irrelevent.

Originally posted by g3po View Post
                          No - As Animal said in his post.

If the Plane is pushing forward at 100mph, the ground is travelling in the opposite direction also at 100mph - the wheels are turning at 200mph but the plane is travelling through the air at 100mph giving it lift
                          “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

Originally posted by puddlesurfer View Post

If the Plane is pushing forward at 100mph, the ground is travelling in the opposite direction also at 100mph - the wheels are turning at 200mph but the plane is travelling through the air at 100mph giving it lift
                            What if they were in the gulfstream and there was a 100mph tailwind?

Comment

Originally posted by slobodan View Post
                              What if they were in the gulfstream and there was a 100mph tailwind?
                              Then turn it around and take off in the opposite direction Simples
                              “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

Allegedly, and I've never been able to confirm this, an aircraft once landed in Islay with an almost zero airspeed. I suppose, theoretically, it's possible, but would a pilot attempt it (unless he HAD to).

I was in Islay when Prince Chic crashed

Comment

Working...
                                X