Just wondering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
    Allegedly, and I've never been able to confirm this, an aircraft once landed in Islay with an almost zero airspeed. I suppose, theoretically, it's possible, but would a pilot attempt it (unless he HAD to).

I was in Islay when Prince Chic crashed
    I've 'Harriered' a model down with low airspeed before.

Wouldn't like to be in a real one when it done it.
    Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
      Allegedly, and I've never been able to confirm this, an aircraft once landed in Islay with an almost zero airspeed. I suppose, theoretically, it's possible, but would a pilot attempt it (unless he HAD to).

I was in Islay when Prince Chic crashed

Helicopter?

Comment

Originally posted by puddlesurfer View Post
        Then turn it around and take off in the opposite direction Simples
        If they were in the Gulfstream that airplane would have changed into a submarine or maybe a ship.

If that tail wind was created by the JetStream....You'd be home a bit earlier!!
        Now it's time to play!

Comment

In the mythbusters test (i was surprised) the prop was moving enough air over the microlights wings to get it off the ground, try it with something bigger with a much bigger wing

Back in the day Baby

Comment

Originally posted by Vultch View Post
            In the mythbusters test (i was surprised) the prop was moving enough air over the microlights wings to get it off the ground, try it with something bigger with a much bigger wing
            I expect it would work better. Bigger wings means more power (probably) so even less effect from the minimal friction.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
              Helicopter?
              No, a wee commercial plane. 28 seat twin prop, I think it may have been a Saab.
              Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

If you'd watched 'Flying Wild Alaska' you would have marvelled at those bush pilots landing in 50ft regularly. Planes with 35mph stall speeds in 50mph headwinds opens up the possibility of landing in reverse - which I've done with a model
                Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                  If you'd watched 'Flying Wild Alaska' you would have marvelled at those bush pilots landing in 50ft regularly. Planes with 35mph stall speeds in 50mph headwinds opens up the possibility of landing in reverse - which I've done with a model
                  So my tale may be true? If a commercial pilot had the balls or the urgency to do it...
                  Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Absolutely yes. No technical reason at all why not. Airspeed is everything, ground speed means nowt.

I used to fly an own design forward swept wing slope soarer - forward sweep very benign at low speed. I used to regularly reverse it in to the slope to land it. Easier than flying round the back of the slope to land conventionally, with all the attendant turbulence and 'sink'.
                    Last edited by Apache; 17 July 2011, 23:22.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                      Absolutely yes. No technical reason at all why not. Airspeed is everything, ground speed means nowt.

I used to fly an own design forward swept wing slope soarer - forward sweep very benign at low speed. I used to regularly reverse it in to the slope to land it. Easier than flying round the back of the slope to land conventionally, with all the attendant turbulence and 'sink'.
                      Apart from the noise from the back...
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3bN4c7CfVM
                      it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt View Post
                        Apart from the noise from the back...
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3bN4c7CfVM
                        I went on one of those twin engined otters in Fiji on a connecting flight between Nadi Airport and Vunisea Airport on Kadavu Island. Really enjoyed the flight and the views but it was very noisy, although not quite as risky a landing as Lakla airpot thankfully.

That is scary!!
                        Now it's time to play!

Comment

60 odd pages last time out
                          a web site dedicated to the question...
                          http://www.airplaneonatreadmill.com/

and it all boils down to how you interpret the question.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned but can't be ar$ed to read 60 pages, then another 6 new ones!

Happy flying guys!

"B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                          www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Changing the subject a bit = Any of you model flyers after a Kyosho PBY Catalina? I've got a (badly, but not by me) half built model in the garage could use a good home - Has twin Irvin .25's.
                            “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

The size of the plane or its wings is wholly irrelevant. All the matters is whether it's drive goes through the wheels (won't take off) or not (will take off precisely as normal). Since no plane has drive through the wheels...

Comment

Originally posted by puddlesurfer View Post
                                Changing the subject a bit = Any of you model flyers after a Kyosho PBY Catalina? I've got a (badly, but not by me) half built model in the garage could use a good home - Has twin Irvin .25's.
                                Might be interested actually. How badly built though? Retrievable?

Comment

Working...
                                X