Just wondering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes plane will take off.
    The wheels are not connected to any drive system so as the plane is moving forward at 50mph the conveyor will be moving backwards at 50mph , but the wheels will be spinning at a relative 100mph .
    Plane is actually moving therefore will create lift and take off.

Simples
    PayPal for stickers : scuffsnscrapes@hotmail.com

Comment

Excellent.

The old thread just proved some people are to far up their own arses to ever dared to be questioned or proven wrong.

Bring it on.....fly plane fly.. (or not as the case is) and relax...
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
        I'm glad to see that NASA refer to gravity as 'weight'. They're really on top of things.
        Weight is the correct term for the force produced by the action of gravity on a mass.

Did you know that you weigh less at the top of mount Everest than you do at sea level because you are further away from the centre of mass of the Earth?

Comment

Originally posted by Rustinho View Post
          Weight is the correct term for the force produced by the action of gravity on a mass.

Did you know that you weigh less at the top of mount Everest than you do at sea level because you are further away from the centre of mass of the Earth?
          Yes. I also know that the plane would take off....

Comment

And would take off like...whoosh!!!
            Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by animal View Post
              Yes plane will take off.
              The wheels are not connected to any drive system so as the plane is moving forward at 50mph the conveyor will be moving backwards at 50mph , but the wheels will be spinning at a relative 100mph .
              Plane is actually moving therefore will create lift and take off.

Simples
              That was a better explaination than mine.

I think the aircraft would take off

It doesn't make a difference how fast the conveyor is going if the fuselage and wings of the plane is being pushed through the air at 100Mph even if the conveyor is doing 200 Mph the wings have 100Mph of airspeed
              Last edited by puddlesurfer; 17 July 2011, 17:35.
              “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

An interesting observation from the mythbusters test:

The aeroplane is definitely in forward motion therefore the conveyer belt is not counteracting the forward motion of the aeroplane with an equal and opposite velocity.

Also, the original post states that the air is still. If the air is still then the air would not be in motion (by definition). Air flow is required for the Bernoulli principle to take effect therefore the aeroplane would not generate any lift and hence not become airborne.

(Yes, I am desperately searching for a reason to explain why I'm right.)

Comment

An interesting observation from the mythbusters test:

The aeroplane is definitely in forward motion therefore the conveyer belt is not counteracting the forward motion of the aeroplane with an equal and opposite velocity.

Also, the original post states that the air is still. If the air is still then the air would not be in motion (by definition). Air flow is required for the Bernoulli principle to take effect therefore the aeroplane would not generate any lift and hence not become airborne.

(Yes, I am desperately searching for a reason to explain why I'm right.)
                  Keep trying..
                  it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

The wing is not moving through the air therefore it cannot create lift if it is motionless

Comment

Originally posted by g3po View Post
                      The wing is not moving through the air therefore it cannot create lift if it is motionless
                      You're thinking like I did in the orginal thread, the plane is jet propelled, the speed of the conveyer and the wheel speed of the planes wheels are irrelivant. The conveyer can whizz along as fast as it likes, the JET engines will push the plane forward to take off speed.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt View Post
                        Keep trying..
                        If, for example, the forward thrust on the plane was provided by a tensioned wire rather than by the engines on the aeroplane I don't think it would take off...

Comment

If, for example, the forward thrust on the plane was provided by a tensioned wire rather than by the engines on the aeroplane I don't think it would take off...
                          Maybe, two things though, you ant change the question to suit your answer, and anyway you cant push a rope...
                          it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

bit like saying if a long jumpers run up speed is normally 20 mph and he can jump 20' at that speed.
                            Lets say he does his run up on a conveyor belt going the opposite direction at the same speed he runs at will he still be able to jump 20' ?
                            Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                            My choice
                            Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Koi View Post
                              bit like saying if a long jumpers run up speed is normally 20 mph and he can jump 20' at that speed.
                              Lets say he does his run up on a conveyor belt going the opposite direction at the same speed he runs at will he still be able to jump 20' ?
                              Of the conveyor belt, yes.

Comment

Originally posted by puddlesurfer View Post
                                That was a better explaination than mine.

I think the aircraft would take off

It doesn't make a difference how fast the conveyor is going if the fuselage and wings of the plane is being pushed through the air at 100Mph even if the conveyor is doing 200 Mph the wings have 100Mph of airspeed
                                ??
                                What happens to the crockery when the tablecloth is quickly yanked out from under it?

Replace the crockery with a plane and the tablecloth with a conveyor belt.

Both would stay where they are unless they had a means of propulsion to overcome the speed of the conveyor/tablecloth.

Comment

Working...
                                X