X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
    head gasket failure.
    Shh! Don't say that.

Blown down fuel line to no avail, but the batteries are pretty dead again now so I've got them on charge.

So... . I'll try and see if I'm getting fuel at the pump if I can, try and start it again once the batteries are up to it and if no joy then get a mobile mech out.

Best to get them to start with a compression test?

Or, pull the filter on the tank and check it? From memory you can do this by cutting an access hole under to rear seats? EDIT: see JAky Cakes mentioned this and included pics earleir which I missed at the time or he edited since. Thanks JK

Thanks for all the input everyone. It's appreciated.
    Last edited by biosurf; 20 March 2011, 22:45.

Comment

Originally posted by biosurf View Post
      Shh! Don't say that.
      Sancho asked...

So... . I'll try and see if I'm getting fuel at the pump if I can, try and start it again once the batteries are up to it and if no joy then get a mobile mech out.
      yeah, the spill control valve still isn't in the clear unless your getting decent fuel delivery to injectors. Did you ever unplug it and check power to it from the ECU?

Best to get them to start with a compression test?
      its a good start if you're getting fuel

Or, pull the filter on the tank and check it? From memory you can do this by cutting an access hole under to rear seats?
      Got to find your back seats first, I've never seen them under all that junk...

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

It's an interesting point. If I got rid of the back seats I would have space for more junk!

I'll read up on the spill control valve and see if it's idiot proof enough for me to have a look.

Cheers Tony.

Comment

OK, had a little time to tinker tonight.

2 things.
          I’ve blown back towards the tank with both my mouth and a little can of air. I can feel a lot more resistance than I would expect.
          Also, having done this I cannot get the fuel primer to go hard. Pressed it for a good 10 minutes. Eventually, pulled one of the fuel exit lines from the filter and continued to pump and was just getting occasional squirts of fuel.
          This would seem to imply that maybe I do have a blockage somewhere and its worth investigating the filter in the tank.
          (Fuel cap was off so it’s not vacuum issues)

However, I also tested what I think was the right bit on the pump to test voltage of the Spill Control Valve. I tried the wires at both points where I’ve put arrows in the pic. I did this with the ignition on.

Not used a multimeter before but borrowed a friends. Earthed the black probe (checked it was a good earth by touching the red to the positive terminal on the batt and getting a reading) and touched the red to the red wires I’ve indicated.
          Got nada.
          Is that the correct way to check the SCV?

Odd if its both a SCV prob and a fuel pickup problem.

It’s just occurred to me that I haven’t checked the fuses, so I’ll do that when I can too.

Many thanks as ever…
          Attached Files

Comment

Pulled all fuses tonight and they're all fine.

I'm going to try and pull the filter out of the tank on Saturday as it'll be interesting to see even if the problem turns out to be the SCV.

Comment

Is that the correct way to check the SCV?
              Not quiet, test it across the two wires, instead of to a seperate earth.

Also best to check the plug in the loom, not the fuel pump.

Did you rememebr the immobilser again when testing it? As the immobilser turned off ECU.

RE the primer, its not the end of the world, mine never goes hard just pumping, have to start the motor (or have someone cranking it on key) then pump it hard. Its not right, but it will start with a duff primer as long its not letting air in, just the primer not pumpiung properly.

Comment

Grr!!! Nope didn't think to test it with the damn immobiliser off! Didn't occur to me at all as I wasn't wanting to start the engine. Makes sense though. Well, live and learn and all that.

I did try it to both wires as well as using a seperate earth but obviously to no avail.

Thicky question as per usual. Where and how to I check it at the wiring loom?

Thanks

Comment

Thicky question as per usual. Where and how to I check it at the wiring loom?

Thanks
                  unplug that grey plug in the pump pic, but poke the leads up the socket hanging on the wires from the truck, not the bit connected to the pump.

Comment

unplug that grey plug in the pump pic, but poke the leads up the socket hanging on the wires from the truck, not the bit connected to the pump.
                    Thank you!!!

If you mean the light grey/off white one in the middle of the pic that I've pointed arrows at I just unplugged the truck side of that and stuck the connectors in it (can't admit to being that enthusiastic about it as I was trying to be quiet. Its dark and my new neighbours probably already think I'm odd with chip fat piled outside my door without banging around too much with a head torch on) but I got a reading of 1.88 volts. (I know it's meant to be 3-5 isn't it?)

I'll give it a pop again first thing when I can see what I'm doing (might buy my own multimeter tomorrow as this one seems to be a bit erratic)

Comment

Grrr! Sod it, I give up.

Just for my peace of mind and because I've been wanting to have a look inside my tank since I started getting odd deposits in my filter ages ago I cut an access hole to my tank and had a look. It's actually not too bad and the strainer though dirty wasn't blocked, but gave it a clean through.

To see if the line from the tank to the fuel filter was OK I blew through from the engine end. It still felt like there was resistance so I squirted a bottle of Redex that I had handy from the engine end of the fuel line to the tank end. It went through OK so the fuel line seems fine.

Pulled a line off the fuel filter and got Faye to turn the engine over and got no fuel but did when I pushed the primer at the same time as being turned over on the key.
                      Reconnected fuel line and tried turning over whilst pressing the primer and still no joy.

So, I think it's time to get someone out and in the absence of a Tony in every area it'll have to be a random mobile mech (I've found one on CheckaTrade though its not as if anyone gets bad reviews on there!)

If it is the Spill Control Valve is it just a case of replacing it? Can it be done in situ or is it a fuel pump out job?

In case it's of use to anyone, heres a couple of pics of the access hole I cut to remove the fuel pick up lines (complete with cardboard and duct tape spark-shieldy gubbins that did the job pretty well)
                      P.S. What is the existing access plate near the one I cut for? Doesn't seem to be accessing much at all
                      [IMG][/IMG]

Comment

I forget now, but did you check that all the timing marks are correctly lined up.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                          I forget now, but did you check that all the timing marks are correctly lined up.
                          Thanks Vince. I had checked the two under the timing belt cover and completely missed that there was a third on the crank pulley (bang head emoticon doesnt quite do it justice)
                          Just lined up the two under the timing belt cover but though I've found the pointer for the crank pulley one I can't see any notch! Probably being an idiot though, but may mean that its where I can't see it from the top. If it is the timing its beyond me I think so I'll call somone tomorrow (been surfless for so long now and I'm not here much for the next week and I think fixing it is beyond my (minor) capabilities.

Brian, thanks for the heads up. Appreciate it.

Comment

Where abouts in Surrey are you, buy me a tank of diesel and I'll come and have a peek if you want.

Comment

Where abouts in Surrey are you, buy me a tank of diesel and I'll come and have a peek if you want.
                              Tony you must be mad (but I've sent you a PM in case you're not!)

Many thanks for the offer.

Comment

Been having a think

I have been thinking
                                Have you checked for a snaped camshaft! i know it is a long shot but i have come across it once before on a rover it had the same starting prob as you are having .

D

Comment

Working...
                                X