yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

some ideas needed... well more like questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just to add my miserable tuppence worth...

Some WORKING people struggle to afford to run these things - as a student, you will need a very decent part time job, rich parents, stop eating and drinking, or you wont be going far.

35s? Forget it, for the reasons already outlined. It will do about 18mpg tops, will handle like a dog on the road, will be shoite offroad (assuming you go the affordable way to lift it), will be painfully slow unless you regear it yadda yadda yadda.

Why not start standard and concentrate on getting it in top notch nick before you start on the expensive mods?

Unless of course you just want to big it up in a quest to impress the ten year olds outside the local school...

Now THERE'S miserable!
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach View Post

my surf was truly, truly awful on fuel! i guessed around 15mpg.. I've just got a (f**ked) Jaguar XJ8 an its doing 17.9mpg an its ligher on the wallet by a fat chunk!!!
      ok... that kinda settled it for the tires... i'll have to go with 33' then i assume the 15" x 10" alloys are for the 35" of will they be ok for the 33"?
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      All I want for X-mas is a garage stocked with tools and a manual 3.0td Surf

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post

Some WORKING people struggle to afford to run these things - as a student, you will need a very decent part time job, rich parents, stop eating and drinking, or you wont be going far.

35s? Forget it, for the reasons already outlined. It will do about 18mpg tops, will handle like a dog on the road, will be shoite offroad (assuming you go the affordable way to lift it), will be painfully slow unless you regear it yadda yadda yadda.

Why not start standard and concentrate on getting it in top notch nick before you start on the expensive mods?

Unless of course you just want to big it up in a quest to impress the ten year olds outside the local school...

Now THERE'S miserable!

Oooooo
        How can I be lost when I've got no where to go

Comment

Originally posted by Bibs View Post
          I should think so too young man
          forgive me!?

Comment

Originally posted by 00Brood View Post
            ok... that kinda settled it for the tires... i'll have to go with 33' then i assume the 15" x 10" alloys are for the 35" of will they be ok for the 33"?
            Its not much better on 33's!
            I have givien up calculating the MPG, sometimes I pretend the ODO is reading in miles instead of KM's, makes me feel better! "oh look, I just did 350 miles to that £58" ....
            Ebay search item 230357761354 !

Comment

Now THERE'S miserable!

well i've joined the working life... so i can kinda afford one of these beasties... i used to drive this one in the pic below... still have it but not here...
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach View Post
                forgive me!?
                With a smile like that.....of course
                How can I be lost when I've got no where to go

Comment

On 33s (ATs) I get perhaps 22mpg on a steady run. More normally around the 20 mark. Muds (if you really think you need them) will drop that a bit lower and not last as long.

Comment

well i've joined the working life... so i can kinda afford one of these beasties... i used to drive this one in the pic below... still have it but not here...
                    I'm more used to students as being floppy haired ne'r-do-wells who need a bomb up their ar5e to get them to move from MSM and facebook and do some ferkin work - sorry

Comment

On 33s (ATs) I get perhaps 22mpg on a steady run. More normally around the 20 mark. Muds (if you really think you need them) will drop that a bit lower and not last as long.
                      well the aim is to use it for occasional trips to work but mainly as a weekend vehicle... so not too worried about mpg...

Comment

I run 35's off road .....33's will be best without regearing the diffs . Bodylift see stein
                        ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

35s? Forget it, for the reasons already outlined. It will do about 18mpg tops, will handle like a dog on the road,
                          In all honestly... it aint that bad on road! Not going to be worse than running 33's!

but 18mpg is VERY, VERY optimistic!

An Brood.. You say you dont mind about mpg but honestly mate, when its about 12mpg at best it makes going anywhere painfully expensive and annoying!! just to arrive to find you can park anywhere...

Trust me bud! im 22 an had a surf jacked up on 35's for over a year and owned basically nothing but hiluxes since i was 17!

Now THERE'S miserable!
                          Wouldn't expect any less mate!!

Comment

If you want to run the big tyres then make sure you buy a 3.0 and not a 2.4.

My 2.4 has enough trouble on hills on 31's let alone 35's. (no wonder Rod's 2.4 was crxp on fuel with 35's / standard gearing )

Even with a 3.0 I'd still want new gears for the bigger tyres.

Factor in ~£1100 for the proper 4" lift (procomp price), add another what ~£600 for wheels and tyres and ~ dunno, say £600 for front and rear gears ?? - guess ? - Rod ??

So you're looking at over £2000 + the price of the truck to do it properly..

If you run it as a daily driver you'll get peed off with the amount of time you spend at the petrol garage. Mine still frustrates me and I have a 1.2 corsa to use for work everyday..

Rob.

edit: the 3 or 4 posts above were posted while I typed this....
                            Last edited by wishbone; 27 April 2009, 23:18.

Comment

Regearing is about £500 depending on the HMRC ( i wouldn't bother if not running 35's)

a cheaper lift can be done for about £600

Land cruser springs
                              top hats
                              extended shocks
                              ball joint spacers
                              extended brake lines

body lift about a ton from stein . www.outrageousoffroad.co.uk

wheels about £600
                              Last edited by BioHazard; 27 April 2009, 23:21.
                              ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
                                If you want to run the big tyres then make sure you buy a 3.0 and not a 2.4.

My 2.4 has enough trouble on hills on 31's let alone 35's. (no wonder Rod's 2.4 was crxp on fuel with 35's / standard gearing ) i had gears.. just never installed them!

Even with a 3.0 I'd still want new gears for the bigger tyres.

Factor in ~£1100 for the proper 4" lift (procomp price), add another what ~£600 for wheels and tyres and ~ dunno, say £600 for front and rear gears ?? - guess ? - Rod ?? Im not 100% sure i'd pay out for a procomp bracket lift. Its good yeah! But your looking at the cost of another truck just for that! as per reply to bio's post a full regear would be around £1000 + fitting.. ive heard of quotes as low as £80 per axle to £200 per axle.
                                So you're looking at over £2000 + the price of the truck to do it properly..

If you run it as a daily driver you'll get peed off with the amount of time you spend at the petrol garage. Mine still frustrates me and I have a 1.2 corsa to use for work everyday..

Rob.

edit: the 3 or 4 posts above were posted while I typed this....
                                Originally posted by BioHazard View Post
                                Regearing is about £500 depending on the HMRC ( i wouldn't bother if not running 35's)

£500.... an axle!! Once you have the gears theres about £150 worth of bearings and seals and shims to buy!

I've got a complete set up for a rear diff for sale, I think stormforce is having it at some point. That cost me just over £500 including tax.

Also, as far as tyres are concerned.. They can really add up. My BFGs were just under £1200 for the 5 with the black mods.

Ive still got all the recipets... i dont dare look! I poured thousands an thousands into that truck!!

Comment

Working...
                                X