Bala to Barmouth off road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by osker
    I'm working in N Wales Thurs/Fri and supposed to driving back on Fri Night but I'll see if I can get out of this and join up with you good folks for the weekend. Might have to bring the wife and crazy 18-month-old baby along!...

I'm staying near Capel Curig Wed/Thurs night ... Barmouth ... humm .. perhaps Sat night ... need plan ... more whiskey ...
    NOOOO!!!! No f*ckin whisky this time!!!!
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by john.sally
      well guys i met Keith today and he says he will change the route so it runs from bala and will take in around 100 miles and end back at bala later in the evening,
      he is doing this as a special for the forum.
      if i can bring myself to getting the new surf dirty then i may think about coming along if not il join in with the camping/carvaning
      John.
      Gotta agree with Apache - the run was supposed to end up in Dolgellau - that's why I've been checking out campsites in Barmouth.

Does going back to Bala involve some nice road that we would otherwise miss????
      Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo
        Gotta agree with Apache - the run was supposed to end up in Dolgellau - that's why I've been checking out campsites in Barmouth.

Does going back to Bala involve some nice road that we would otherwise miss????
        I can just imagine Bala to Barmouth and back round trip would be pretty full on and by the time you transit back to Barmouth there'd be little time for a beer / barbie. Think I'd rather do Bala to Barmouth which is already a substantial run offroad.

Still haven't told Vicki...

Comment

Originally posted by Apache

Still haven't told Vicki...
          The longer you leave it..............

Comment

I can reccomend the 'Happy Valley' route - just come back from there this weekend. Not sure if closed or not though as someone had put a 'Road Closed' sign up. Opinion was that this was entirely unofficial (unnapproving local residents?). We saw several signs put up on Byeways which are really open. But might be worth checking with the Council- if only to report the illeagal use of signs.

If doing the 'Happy Valley' mountain route it's best to head East to West and climb up the first hair pins out of Happy Valley rather than be descending them. I'm sure going down would be 'interesting' but I wouldn't fancy it in a long wheel base Surf! If wet you will be slithering down solid rock in places.

Top section of Happy Valley mountain road- view of Dovey Estuary. Track is rocky in places.

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock99
              I can reccomend the 'Happy Valley' route - just come back from there this weekend. Not sure if closed or not though as someone had put a 'Road Closed' sign up. Opinion was that this was entirely unofficial (unnapproving local residents?). We saw several signs put up on Byeways which are really open. But might be worth checking with the Council- if only to report the illeagal use of signs.

If doing the 'Happy Valley' mountain route it's best to head East to West and climb up the first hair pins out of Happy Valley rather than be descending them. I'm sure going down would be 'interesting' but I wouldn't fancy it in a long wheel base Surf! If wet you will be slithering down solid rock in places.

Top section of Happy Valley mountain road- view of Dovey Estuary. Track is rocky in places.
              Sheesh! I used to drive roads worse than that in my GT4 when I lived up that way!

Comment

Thought the plan was to end in Barmouth (where the tents will be!). Ending up back in Bala would mean another hours drive on the road to Barmouth after driving to Bala for the start of the run...

Yours confused!
                i agree with you bala to barmouth is about 3/4 of an hour run, kind of him (kieth) to offer a longer run but hey it shortens the drinking/bbq time and make for a more expensive day as regards fuel
                john
                Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Sheesh! I used to drive roads worse than that in my GT4 when I lived up that way!
                  That's not a bad section- just the summit part!

Comment

Have told Vicki I'm comin - A-OK!

She even threatened to come with me as long as it's not too extreme. I cant see it being gnarly if unmodded soft-roaders can manage it.

Comment

Originally posted by john.sally
                      kind of him (kieth) to offer a longer run john
                      Yep, and maybe something to keep in mind for another time, but this time I think people are gearing themselves up for the meet in Barmouth and a big game of footy on the beach

Comment

OK - I have just been chatting to Keith at Simply4x4.

The extra route (to end up back in Bala) is a tarmac road going over a mountain pass. It is not an off road section. We would be in Bala at 7ish, so not getting back to Barmouth till 8ish.

So I have said to stick to Plan A - end up in Dolgellau by 6ish to be back in Barmouth by 6.30ish.

Is everyone OK with this?

regards

Comment

Sounds good to me. It would be nice to have a bit of time to lounge in the sun on the beach in the evening.

Comment

YEah thats ok with me! its still an 80 mile trip!!

Comment

Sounds good to me. It would be nice to have a bit of time to lounge in the sun on the beach in the evening.
                              you know something we dont.....you are predicting with certainty that it will be sunny, we are talking Wales here!
                              Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

It's always sunny where I am

I have every faith that the weather will be wonderful!

Comment

Working...
                                X