No announcement yet.

Surf Towing & Caravan Things

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This will be my third year of towing with the beast, I must say she is the best towing vehcile I've owned, apart from the fact that the old trailer was too small to be seen (couldn't reverse the thing, or feel it when towing ( I'm sorry officer what do you mean I'm towing)).
    I think the best thing for me to do is stop playing with the scales and just load it, after all I've never got it wrong in the past.
    Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

• thats it mate just stick it on the back and go
      I have never ever measured noseweight, I just try and run level.
      Tim
      Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

• Well Ive done it I'm jumping in the deep end with my new surf just booked our summer holiday. Committed to a 1000 mile round trip through france with caravan in tow. Not totally new to it as I did a similar trip with me old 4Runner. Looking forward to burning a lot of that cheap French diesel this time though. If any one else is interested had a great deal on P&O Portsmouth to Le Havre, they seem to have a fixed price deal going at the moment £250 return including the caravan, the night sailings are a little dearer though as you have to pay for some accomodation. Complete 2 week trip is costing me around £550. Why stay in the UK rain.
        [U]Cheers Ian[/U]

Comment

• Originally posted by InfraRed
          Well Ive done it I'm jumping in the deep end with my new surf just booked our summer holiday. Committed to a 1000 mile round trip through france with caravan in tow. Not totally new to it as I did a similar trip with me old 4Runner. Looking forward to burning a lot of that cheap French diesel this time though. If any one else is interested had a great deal on P&O Portsmouth to Le Havre, they seem to have a fixed price deal going at the moment £250 return including the caravan, the night sailings are a little dearer though as you have to pay for some accomodation. Complete 2 week trip is costing me around £550. Why stay in the UK rain.
          ENJOY IT MATE. Im all excited waiting for the end of the month. LANGDALE here i come.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
          (")_(")

Comment

• Wet Wet Wet .. ughhhhhh

Originally posted by InfraRed
            Well Ive done it I'm jumping in the deep end with my new surf just booked our summer holiday. Committed to a 1000 mile round trip through france with caravan in tow. Not totally new to it as I did a similar trip with me old 4Runner. Looking forward to burning a lot of that cheap French diesel this time though. If any one else is interested had a great deal on P&O Portsmouth to Le Havre, they seem to have a fixed price deal going at the moment £250 return including the caravan, the night sailings are a little dearer though as you have to pay for some accomodation. Complete 2 week trip is costing me around £550. Why stay in the UK rain.
            We agree,wet wise .. £250 is a good price - we paid £376 without a van three years ago.Mind you they are shutting this route down in the future ! - I thought Brittany Ferries have taken it over anyway - non ? We have just arrived back from SE Spain with El Vano after staying there this time for 4 1/2 months for the winter.It,s a round trip of around 1000 miles,and we found that provided you split the journey (we did the leg down in one go !) everything is fine.You never realise the power of that 3.0 ltr.diesel until it,s under real pulling load - fantastic.As for P and O - we are fed up paying c £780 to go to Bilbao and back,surrounded by people who have only paid £69 for their mini cruise.So I think we will travel down thro France in The Autumn instead.As you say the fuel is more or less half price there .. and my wife is French !! Anyway have fun .. I see that we are more or less neighbours I live at Chepstow ! There is another Surfer who lives at Caldicot as well ..oh yes .. be careful where you park up in France .. never do it alone .. lorry parks are good .. there are many reports circulating regarding Banditoes operating on the autoroutes over there at the mo.Certainly in Spain the sods are alive and well.Many travellers had been robbed where we were staying.

Surfin

Comment

• They can get in your van while you are asleep & steal all your £££££.
              Some reports of putting some gas through the vents to knock you out.
              (\__/)
              (")_(")

Comment

• That as well Marky !!

Originally posted by marky
                They can get in your van while you are asleep & steal all your £££££.
                Some reports of putting some gas through the vents to knock you out.
                You wont get a tan in Langdale I,ve got a good raincoat if you want to borrow it mate !

Comment

• Originally posted by surfin
                  You wont get a tan in Langdale I,ve got a good raincoat if you want to borrow it mate !
                  I got a nice TAN last JUNE.
                  (\__/)
                  (")_(")

Comment

• Hi thinking of getting an Ace twin axle caravan the MTPLM would be 1600kg I know marky has a twin axle how does the surf manage with this leviathan of a van.
                    if a politition is talking its lying

Comment

• You certainly know its there, You get a great feeling of being a TRUCKER you need to buy some YORKIES. TWIN AXLES ARE MORE STABLE.
                      My van is coming home this week for a good clean in preperation for LANGDALE.
                      BRING IT ON!
                      (\__/)
                      (")_(")

Comment

• Here it is Chaps finally got a pic.
                        Attached Files
                        (\__/)
                        (")_(")

Comment

• Originally posted by marky
                          Here it is Chaps finally got a pic.
                          That scene looks familiar. Had it just rained or something LOL. How many miles did you do before all the windows were steamed up?
                          It's only a hobby!

Comment

• Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
                            That scene looks familiar. Had it just rained or something LOL. How many miles did you do before all the windows were steamed up?
                            The heating was on as we got soaked as you saw, Did it stop raining in time for you to pull down your Awning.
                            (\__/)
                            (")_(")

Comment

• Caravan mag CARAVAN gives a great write up for the surf in the used 4x4 of the year supplement inside
                              Last edited by firefly; 5 May 2005, 20:33.
                              if a politition is talking its lying

Comment

• Originally posted by marky
                                The heating was on as we got soaked as you saw, Did it stop raining in time for you to pull down your Awning.
                                No! I pulled the awning out of the caravan when we got back and the water ran out of it. It is pretty well dry now that has been on top of the zook since Wednesday. I had to leave all the windows open in the Surf, while it was in the garage, to dry it out I also removed another load of that fibre stuff from the rad yesterday and jet washed the car three times before I dare put a chammy to it.
                                I have left the night vents open on the caravan skylights as I can't get to the storage until Monday. I am working 12hr shifts Fri, Sat & Sun.
                                What do you reckon to these breathable caravan storage covers? I think they may be a good investment.
                                Last edited by kitesurf_phil; 5 May 2005, 21:39.
                                It's only a hobby!

Comment

Working...
                                X