• Show
Clear All

• Its either a leak, faulty pump or microswitch on one of your taps is dodgy
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparky
      a low battery can cause this to happen. the pump can't spin fast enough to put enough pressure on the sensor and so tops itself up every couple of min's.
      or the pressure sensor may need adjusting.(it's a small white device on or near the waterheater and has an adjustable wheel on it.
      Sounds about right mate - adjust the switch with the tap running, it should take a sec or two to run off once you close the tap. When it is exact it should not keep running - if it is the valve is open too much i think.
      Usually under front right seat depending on the van.
      Tim
      Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

• I forgot about the pressure adjustment thing.
        (\__/)
        (")_(")

Comment

• Originally posted by firefly
          back from a long weekend in Blackpool.
          had a slight problem with the van wondered if anyone had any ideas what it could be,
          set van up no problems, but then noticed the water pump light kept coming on for a second then going off listened to hear if pump was turning on and it was, i had water both hot and cold and also a good pressure too, no air leaks ok air locks, it seemed to be a gap of 20 seconds or so and then the pump would come on for litterally a second and back off again, checked the whale pump and connections everything seems fine, even spent ages looking to see if we had a water leaks anywhere joints or pipes throughout the whole system, nothing so does anyone have any ideas its a abbey oxford caravan 1998 with the carver water heated, at a complete loss.........
          Is the Oxford one of the County Range? We have the Abbey County Dorset (2 berth/rear bathroom/shower/wardrobe and centre galley). We are very pleased with it.
          It's only a hobby!

Comment

• We found ABBEY to be very high spec & full of goodies so i got my ABBEY SPECTRUM Twin axle beast, A 5* hotel on wheels.
            Attached Files
            (\__/)
            (")_(")

Comment

• cheers will have a go at the tips and see what happens
              if a politition is talking its lying

Comment

• Originally posted by marky
                We found ABBEY to be very high spec & full of goodies so i got my ABBEY SPECTRUM Twin axle beast, A 5* hotel on wheels.
                Looks like you have the same occasional table. Our cooker is on the opposite side. Bathroom cabinets and mirror look about the same. The only problem we have with ours is that the veneer is staring to bubble on some of the top lockers and one of the curtain pelmets has come un-stuck. I have tried double sided tape. The guy at the caravan centre reckons that the last resort is, "Silicon sealer, REPEAT, silicon sealer."
                He rockons he told someone that and they used No More Nails
                It's only a hobby!

Comment

• NO-MORE-NAILS is good but dont get it on the upholstrey, never tried it on my van though
                  (\__/)
                  (")_(")

Comment

• this is a common problem with Abbey's (the pelmet) what we did was clean the plastic track and araldit glued (scuse spelling) some velcro strips along the track then my wifey stitched the other velcro onto the fabric to fit the one on the track and hey presto comes of and can be cleaned if needed
                    if a politition is talking its lying

Comment

• In need of reassurance

Hi Chaps and Chapesses
                      Just found this thread and read through getting a little concerned as I did so. I have just traded in my trusty petrol manual 4Runner after seven years of sterling service. Pulled the caravan to the Vendee in France and many times up Telegraph hill in Devon without the temperature guage even twitching above its normal half way position. Never needed any additional cooling devices or suspension enhancements, I did replace the shockers with Procomp ES9000s but only because the originals died of old age. I am now a proud owner of a stunning 3.0L diesel automatic 3rd Gen Surf. I havn't yet fitted a tow bar as like Marky we are fine weather tin tenters. I decided to change the car expecting the diesel version to make a better tug due to the greater torque produced and of course being diesel give me a few more miles to the gallon. Please tell me I've done the right thing, do I really need to add a transmission oil cooler and uprated rear springs. I have already noticed that the rear suspension seems a little softer on the 3rd Gen. Our caravan is a 2001 model Sterling Europa 520, fully laden weighs in at 1200kg.
                      I look forward to your comments.
                      [U]Cheers Ian[/U]

Comment

• Best thing to do is try it and see how it goes. I'm not sure but I think the 3rd Gen may not suffer from the same overheating problems as the 2nd Gen. Isn't the rad different. The big problem on 2nd Gens is the design of the ATF oil cooler in the bottom of the rad that slows down water circulation and therefore doesn't allow the coolant to cool down sufficiently when the ATF fluid really needs the extra cooling under load (does that make sense?).

As yours is 4 years younger than mine you probably shouldn't have too many problems with it. However, ALL auto's CAN suffer from ATF overheating when towing heavy loads, whatever the engine type / size but the MTPLM of 1200kgs is really quite light for the Surf to pull so you may not have any problems with it.
                        Mike G

Comment

• Originally posted by InfraRed
                          Hi Chaps and Chapesses
                          Just found this thread and read through getting a little concerned as I did so. I have just traded in my trusty petrol manual 4Runner after seven years of sterling service. Pulled the caravan to the Vendee in France and many times up Telegraph hill in Devon without the temperature guage even twitching above its normal half way position. Never needed any additional cooling devices or suspension enhancements, I did replace the shockers with Procomp ES9000s but only because the originals died of old age. I am now a proud owner of a stunning 3.0L diesel automatic 3rd Gen Surf. I havn't yet fitted a tow bar as like Marky we are fine weather tin tenters. I decided to change the car expecting the diesel version to make a better tug due to the greater torque produced and of course being diesel give me a few more miles to the gallon. Please tell me I've done the right thing, do I really need to add a transmission oil cooler and uprated rear springs. I have already noticed that the rear suspension seems a little softer on the 3rd Gen. Our caravan is a 2001 model Sterling Europa 520, fully laden weighs in at 1200kg.
                          I look forward to your comments.
                          As TALLYMAN suggests try it first dont worry too much as i think you will be fine. My 2nd gen 2.4 pulls my ABBEY SPECTRUM 1500KGS with no overheating problems. Its not about putting your foot down slow & steady is the way to go.
                          (\__/)
                          (")_(")

Comment

• Thanks for the replies lads. Can't wait for next season. Can't persuade the other half to attempt cold weather camping. Never mind. I'm just starting to get the hang of this forum thingy. Trying to work out how to post some pictures, I'm sure I'll find how soon.
                            [U]Cheers Ian[/U]

Comment

• Originally posted by InfraRed
                              Thanks for the replies lads. Can't wait for next season. Can't persuade the other half to attempt cold weather camping. Never mind. I'm just starting to get the hang of this forum thingy. Trying to work out how to post some pictures, I'm sure I'll find how soon.
                              My CARAVAN is in HIBERNATION as you cant just throw another LOG onto the fire. Its far too cold.
                              (\__/)
                              (")_(")

Comment

• Some Useful Info.

FAQ's
                                Question 1:
                                How do I get rid of the black marks that are still visible on my caravan even after I cleaned it?
                                Answer:
                                The black marks can be removed by using Fenwicks Caravan cleaner. Using a damp cloth apply neat solution to the mark and work in until the mark is removed, and rinse off.

Question 2:
                                My window blinds seem to have lost their tension, what can I do?
                                Answer:
                                If it's a modern cassette type there is a tendency for the spring to lose its tension. This generally happens if the blinds are left down for any prolonged length of time for example during winter storage. On most blinds they have a retention screw at one end of the cassette, if you turn the screw this usually solves the problem. However, to gain access to the adjuster you may have to first remove the cassette completely.

Question 3:
                                My Submersible pump doesn't seem to work properly, any suggestions?
                                Answer:
                                Submersible pumps generally have a small filter fitted on the bottom, this protects the small impeller or "paddle wheel", and occasionally this sticks. Try removing the filter; on removing the filter you should be able to see the small impeller. Using a long thin screwdriver turn the impeller, this then may solve the problem. If by turning the impeller it does not move freely then the pump may need replacing.

Question 4:
                                My Refrigerator doesn't appear to be functioning correctly when I am on mains on site, any advise?
                                Answer:
                                You may find that if the site is very busy the 230v supply drops as low as 190 - 195v on account of the large numbers of caravanners hooked up to the supply. If this happens we suggest you use the gas. Avoid over-packing your refrigerator; air must be able to circulate. The cooling fins at the back of the food compartment must not have items such as cans pressed up against them. In order for your refrigerator to work efficiently the ambient outside temperature must be right; if the temperature is to high you may have to consider the fitting of a fan or if the temperature is to low the fitting of winter covers could be an option. Prior to departure it is advisable to pre-cool the food compartment by running the refrigerator for three hours or more. If your caravan is at home, it is often possible to couple the hook up lead to a 13amp socket.

Question 5:
                                I am having difficulty in pulling my Awning through the awning rail. I do have a slight bump in the rail, which I think is causing the problem. What do you suggest?
                                Answer:
                                On sale in our Leisure Superstore we have an Awning Rail Care Kit. It contains a spreader for removing minor bumps and blockage. A brush to remove any dirt or mud. A lubricant that is non-greasy, emulsion silicon to make it easy for you to thread your awning through the rail.

Question 6:
                                I think my micro switch in my tap is not working, how can I be sure?
                                Answer:
                                Make sure that the pump circuit is switched on at the control panel. Disconnect the two wires that go to the faulty tap. Then touch the two terminal together and the pump should work. All you have done in effect by touching the two terminals together is recreate a switch. If the pump doesn't respond the micro switch is not at fault.

Question 7:
                                How do I clean the Canvas on my Awning?
                                Answer:
                                Try using Alpha123 Canvas Cleaner, It comes in a large spray and a handy stiff brush for application. Note bird dropping contain acid this may fade the canvas. Alpha123 affect the water resisting properties of the material. This can be restored but using Fabsil waterproofer.

Question 8:
                                Can I use my corner steadies to change my wheels?
                                Answer:
                                No. Never ever lift a caravan using the corner steadies. This may distort the mechanism and possibly result in a split floor panel. Always use a jack suitable for caravan use. You can use a hydraulic bottle jack providing that they include a support that would cradle the hexagonal axle tube. If in doubt ask in our Leisure Superstore for requirements.

Question 9:
                                I am thinking of having a Motor Mover fitted, can I use my 85amp battery?
                                Answer:
                                The simple answer is yes, however we strongly suggest the use of a higher rated battery such as 110amp. The amount of power drawn from the battery is quite high and if you have a small amp battery it may not have enough power for lights etc should the need arise until the battery has been topped up by the main charger unit.

Question 10:
                                Can I use the site electrics when I go to France this summer?
                                Answer:
                                Yes. We advise to take a polarity tester and a suitable conversion hook up lead.

Question 11:
                                How do I calculate how long a battery will provide between charges?
                                Answer:
                                1. First you need to establish the wattage of appliances. For example Colour TV 50w, Water Pump 50w, strip light (single) 8w.
                                2. Then work out how long in hours (or fraction of an hour) they are going to use in a 24-hour period.
                                3. Then multiply the wattage by the number of hours in use.
                                4. Add together the total of Watt hours.
                                5. Divide Watt hours by the volts to get Ampere hours (Ah).
                                If your caravan is fitted with a 85amp battery and uses a total of 40Ah in a 24-hour period it will last for two days before it needs recharging. This is only a rough guide and assumes that the battery is being used corr
                                (\__/)
                                (")_(")

Comment

Working...
                                X