• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Towbars

CHEAP TOWBARShttp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...category=10410
    Thanks to mazzerman

Originally Posted by adyrips
    trying to get a tow bar to fit my gen 3 surf in stainless but hitting a bit of a brick wall. there seems to be loads for the hi lux pick up any one know if these would fit or am i stuck with the standard steel item. plus keep seeing people suggesting fitting a colorado lwb item does this work?watling tow bars do one specific for gen 3 surfs £220 but colorado lwb 97-on £160 is there a difference or are they just trying to stiff the surf owners as there not as common -------- yet!!!!
    surf and colorado both use a KZN185
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yeah, the colorado one fits... same bumper on the back too, so a stainless one would fit the same - dabigman
    Last edited by marky; 31 January 2004, 14:23.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

towing

i better buy a trailor then hadnt i oh dear more money lol
      black n tan
      black n tan
      yes i am a dobermann man

Comment

Originally posted by slydog
        i better buy a trailor then hadnt i oh dear more money lol
        try the autotrader there is usually quite a few secondhand ones in
        (\__/)
        (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
          try the autotrader there is usually quite a few secondhand ones in
          or e-bay
          Enjoying Life after Cancer
          Pops

Comment

Caravan Tips

FAQ's
            Question 1:
            How do I get rid of the black marks that are still visible on my caravan even after I cleaned it?
            Answer:
            The black marks can be removed by using Fenwicks Caravan cleaner. Using a damp cloth apply neat solution to the mark and work in until the mark is removed, and rinse off.

Question 2:
            My window blinds seem to have lost their tension, what can I do?
            Answer:
            If it's a modern cassette type there is a tendency for the spring to lose its tension. This generally happens if the blinds are left down for any prolonged length of time for example during winter storage. On most blinds they have a retention screw at one end of the cassette, if you turn the screw this usually solves the problem. However, to gain access to the adjuster you may have to first remove the cassette completely.

Question 3:
            My Submersible pump doesn't seem to work properly, any suggestions?
            Answer:
            Submersible pumps generally have a small filter fitted on the bottom, this protects the small impeller or "paddle wheel", and occasionally this sticks. Try removing the filter; on removing the filter you should be able to see the small impeller. Using a long thin screwdriver turn the impeller, this then may solve the problem. If by turning the impeller it does not move freely then the pump may need replacing.

Question 4:
            My Refrigerator doesn't appear to be functioning correctly when I am on mains on site, any advise?
            Answer:
            You may find that if the site is very busy the 230v supply drops as low as 190 - 195v on account of the large numbers of caravanners hooked up to the supply. If this happens we suggest you use the gas. Avoid over-packing your refrigerator; air must be able to circulate. The cooling fins at the back of the food compartment must not have items such as cans pressed up against them. In order for your refrigerator to work efficiently the ambient outside temperature must be right; if the temperature is to high you may have to consider the fitting of a fan or if the temperature is to low the fitting of winter covers could be an option. Prior to departure it is advisable to pre-cool the food compartment by running the refrigerator for three hours or more. If your caravan is at home, it is often possible to couple the hook up lead to a 13amp socket.

Question 5:
            I am having difficulty in pulling my Awning through the awning rail. I do have a slight bump in the rail, which I think is causing the problem. What do you suggest?
            Answer:
            On sale in our Leisure Superstore we have an Awning Rail Care Kit. It contains a spreader for removing minor bumps and blockage. A brush to remove any dirt or mud. A lubricant that is non-greasy, emulsion silicon to make it easy for you to thread your awning through the rail.

Question 6:
            I think my micro switch in my tap is not working, how can I be sure?
            Answer:
            Make sure that the pump circuit is switched on at the control panel. Disconnect the two wires that go to the faulty tap. Then touch the two terminal together and the pump should work. All you have done in effect by touching the two terminals together is recreate a switch. If the pump doesn't respond the micro switch is not at fault.

Question 7:
            How do I clean the Canvas on my Awning?
            Answer:
            Try using Alpha123 Canvas Cleaner, which is on sale in our Leisure Superstore. It comes in a large spray and a handy stiff brush for application. Note bird dropping contain acid this may fade the canvas. Alpha123 affect the water resisting properties of the material. This can be restored but using Fabsil waterproofer.

Question 8:
            Can I use my corner steadies to change my wheels?
            Answer:
            No. Never ever lift a caravan using the corner steadies. This may distort the mechanism and possibly result in a split floor panel. Always use a jack suitable for caravan use. You can use a hydraulic bottle jack providing that they include a support that would cradle the hexagonal axle tube. If in doubt ask in our Leisure Superstore for requirements.

Question 9:
            I am thinking of having a Motor Mover fitted, can I use my 85amp battery?
            Answer:
            The simple answer is yes, however we strongly suggest the use of a higher rated battery such as 110amp. The amount of power drawn from the battery is quite high and if you have a small amp battery it may not have enough power for lights etc should the need arise until the battery has been topped up by the main charger unit.

Question 10:
            Can I use the site electrics when I go to France this summer?
            Answer:
            Yes. We advise to take a polarity tester and a suitable conversion hook up lead.

Question 11:
            How do I calculate how long a battery will provide between charges?
            Answer:
            1. First you need to establish the wattage of appliances. For example Colour TV 50w, Water Pump 50w, strip light (single) 8w.
            2. Then work out how long in hours (or fraction of an hour) they are going to use in a 24-hour period.
            3. Then multiply the wattage by the number of hours in use.
            4. Add together the total of Watt hours.
            5. Divide Watt hours by the volts to get Ampere hours (Ah).
            If your caravan is fitted with a 85amp battery and uses a total of 40Ah in a 24-hour period it will last for two days before it needs recharging. This is only a rough guide and assumes that the battery is being used correctly.
            (\__/)
            (")_(")

Comment

Hi Markey, very interested in your comments re towing your caravan. I have not yet hitched my van to the Surf but if your 2.4 tows like a dream then the 3.0 should float on air. mine is a twin axle Bailey Senator also with the SSK stabiliser. They fitted a Witter tow bar but have not added the uprated ball hitch, luckily I took the original ball off the Disco before I sold it.

Is there any noticible increase in fuel consumption when towing?
              Visit all the Surfin Elkhounds at [url="http://www.malenibo.co.uk/"]www.malenibo.co.uk[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Malenibo
                Hi Markey, very interested in your comments re towing your caravan. I have not yet hitched my van to the Surf but if your 2.4 tows like a dream then the 3.0 should float on air. mine is a twin axle Bailey Senator also with the SSK stabiliser. They fitted a Witter tow bar but have not added the uprated ball hitch, luckily I took the original ball off the Disco before I sold it.

Is there any noticible increase in fuel consumption when towing?
                The best way ive found is o/d off on hills with ect on as ect will give more revs in each gear before it changes up a gear once you get up to max speed just cruise o/d on. fit that swan neck towbar make sure its dry no grease or oil. pack your trunks & beer & off you go
                Towing Tips

If you are new to towing then you might find this article of interest. If you are an old hand read it anyway. You might just find something you didn't know. I have many thousands of kilometres experience driving in many countries around the world. The following are gained from direct experience and not copied from any publications. This was
                1) Don't be in a hurry to get to your destination. Excessive speed kills and towing speed limits are set for good reason.

2) Maximum Towing speed limit in U.K. is 60 m.p.h. Be warned.. when travelling around Europe it can be less. Be aware of speed restriction signs directly aimed at towing drivers, especially in Scandinavian countries where traffic police strictly enforce the law. Unlike the current situation in U.K. there is no shortage of them in Europe.

3) Two lane dual carriageways in many parts of Germany restrict the use of the outer lane during daylight hours. That means trailers of any shape or form so you will be compelled to join the endless convoy of trucks. There are no exceptions to this rule and German Police will ruthlessly enforce it. Times vary so watch for the signs. Mainly Northern Germany.

4) Towing can be tiring and stressful. Stop frequently & have a brew up. While the kettle is boiling have a walk around the outfit and check the wheels & tyres. Imbalanced tyre pressures will cause all kinds of handling problems you wouldn't want to experience. Hot wheel rims can indicate binding brakes or dry bearings. Binding brakes can cause bearing failure. Failed bearings result in wheels falling off. End of holiday!! It only takes a minute to check and it can save you an awful lot of heartache.

5) Be aware when boarding or disembarking from some of the smaller ferries in Europe & UK. Some ramps can catch you out and you may find your drawbar, jockey wheel or tail grounding. If you are a bit doubtful it may help to attack the ramp at a slight angle so all the wheels engage separately.

6) Incidents of trailers detaching from ball hitches are occurring all too frequently. This is very rarely down to mechanical failure. The most common fault is the very act of hitching up. Whatever the circumstances it is imperative that you are not distracted in any way when doing so. Ignore everyone around you until you complete the operation. An innocent interruption by a family member or friend and the distraction can lead to disaster. Ignore them and do it !!

That's all for now folks but I will keep you informed of any new tips that come my way.
                Last edited by marky; 1 February 2004, 22:01.
                (\__/)
                (")_(")

Comment

Safe Towing
                  Over a period of many years, a great deal of knowledge and experience has been accumulated about caravan towing. The following recommendations will help drivers to ensure that their towing vehicle and caravan do not present a danger on the roads

Factors which must be considered for safe towing:

The actual laden weight of your caravan should be as low as possible. The lower the weight the safer the caravan and towing vehicle will be.
                  Match your car and tourer properly. Your car must have enough power to tow your caravan safely so that you are safe on the road and not a nuisance to other road users. Getting the weight ratio balance between car and caravan is even more important than engine power.
                  Your loaded tourer should be no more than 85% of your car's kerb-side weight.
                  Load your tourer evenly and correctly. Overloading the back of the vehicle can cause safety problems - if you find yourself in a snaking situation, the caravan will take control, making it very difficult for you to keep control of the car and caravan. Putting too much weight at the front of your caravan will add to the noseweight. In general, the heaviest items should be packed over the wheels of a single-axled tourer. Exceeding the noseweight will put additional strain on the car or caravan chassis and could cause expensive damage.
                  Invest in a good set of extended mirrors. However, ensure they do not project more than 200mm outside the width of the caravan when being towed or the width of the towing vehicle when driven solo.
                  For beginners - Take greater care when manoeuvring. Practice towing, reversing and parking on a quiet road. Speed should be built up gradually to get used to the different handling and braking characteristics.

Word/Phrase Meaning

Vehicle Kerbweight The weight of the towcar often indicated in the manufacturers specifications..

Maximum Permissible Towing Weight The maximum weight that the vehicle is allowed to tow.

Mass in Running Order The weight of the empty caravan.

User Payload The weight if all tems carried in the caravan.

Actual Laden Weight The total weight of the caravan and the user payload.

Maximum Technically Permissible Laden Mass ( M.T.P.L.M) - The maximum permissable actual laden weight of the caravan.

Noseweight The weight exerted on the towbar. Special scales are available from accessory shops for calculating this weight.

Train Weight The maximum permissable combined weight of towcar and tourer.

The performance of the towing vehicle has an important bearing on it's suitability for towing and on the selection of the caravan. Towsafe is a comprehensive and up-to-date car/caravan matching facility available, providing an instant answer to the question "Can my car tow this caravan safely?"
                  http://www.towsafe.co.uk/
                  Last edited by marky; 1 February 2004, 21:39.
                  (\__/)
                  (")_(")

Comment

caravan safety

Caravan Safety
                    If you are new to caravans it is important that you find out about Caravan Safety. This section includes a guide to safe towing, gas safety, as well as guidance when purchasing a used caravan.

New Requirements for LPG in Caravans
                    Calor has supported the caravan industry since the company was first established in 1935. For over 65 years, Calor has invested in the ongoing development of new products and safety initiatives to benefit owners of both touring caravans and holiday homes throughout the country. A fact-sheet is available which is intended to provide clear guidance on the latest installation standard to affect caravanners, continuing Calor’s long tradition of commitment to all sectors of this market. Click here to read this important document.

Combat Caravan Crime

Before buying a caravan check with CRIS, the Caravan Registration and Identification Scheme, to ensure that the seller is the registered keeper. CRIS is run for the National Caravan Council by leading vehicle information provider HPI, and can tell you if the caravan you are thinking of buying has outstanding finance recorded against it, has been written-off by an insurance company, or is currently recorded as stolen. Owners of all UK-Manufactured caravans can now apply for their caravan to be CRIS registered and electronically tagged. Call 01722 411430 for details or visit their website by clicking here.

It is always a worry when you leave for caravan for any length of time. You can't always take all your valuables with you especially in this technological age when so many people take their laptops on holiday with them. Have a look at Autosafe. They have developed a lockable steel safe that is designed to be secured to the inside of your hatchback, car boot or any vehicle by an ingenious steel rope system.

Safe Towing

Over a period of many years, a great deal of knowledge and experience has been accumulated about caravan towing. Take a look at the Safe Towing section for information that will help drivers to ensure that their towing vehicle and caravan do not present a danger on the roads

Gas Safety

Your Caravan Holiday Home was built, and the gas appliances installed, in accordance with the safety requirements of British Standards. It is essential to maintain your caravan to prevent any risk to you and your family
                    (\__/)
                    (")_(")

Comment

PRACTICAL CARAVAN LINK http://www.practicalcaravan.com/
                      Last edited by marky; 9 February 2004, 14:05.
                      (\__/)
                      (")_(")

Comment

Its neartly that time again service & clean the cararvan, everybody rates meer polish so ive bought some. 18ft of caravan to polish soon, ready for the trip to langdale
                        (\__/)
                        (")_(")

Comment

just remember to put on your handbrake in the motor... we've recently had a bloke killed (on HGV, but similar) the trailer park brake wasn't on and he hitched up and didn't put on the handbrake, so when he connected the airline the whole rig started to move. He jumped off and went around the front of the vehicle and was crushed against another trailer.
                          ...so no matter how long you've been doing it, double check everything!
                          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Well its time to give the caravan a Spring clean before the trip upto LANGDALE, Wash & a polish charge battery check electrics etc.
                            i cant wait
                            (\__/)
                            (")_(")

Comment

We are picking up our "new" caravan on Monday. Its a 1997 Abbey County Dorset. It should tow well at 850Kgs (Before Mrs Kitesurf fills it with all the necessaries for a week away ).

If you see a Burgundy Surf, with a big aerial, towing the above this summer- give us a toot!
                              It's only a hobby!

Comment

Weight Glossary

GROSS WEIGHT
                                The total weight of the trailer (or towing vehicle) and load Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) or Gross Weight Mass (GWM) The total weight of the towing vehicle and its load.
                                GROSS TRAIN WEIGHT
                                The maximum allowable combined weight (combined MAM) of the towing vehicle and trailer as set by the towing vehicle manufacturer.
                                KERBWEIGHT
                                The weight of the towing vehicle (without payload), including all fluids required for operation, 90% full tank, 68kg driver and 7kg luggage.
                                MAXIMUM GROSS WEIGHT
                                The maximum figure set by the manufacturer for the gross weight. This will normally be the technically permissible maximum based on the carrying capacity of the tyres, axles, coupling, suspension and chassis but may have been adjusted downwards for commercial reasons.
                                MAXIMUM AUTHORISED MASS
                                As above
                                MAXIMUM TOWING LIMIT
                                The most weight a car may tow (specified by the manufacturer).
                                MTPLM
                                The maximum weight of the caravan, as stated by the manufacturer (pre-1998 caravans: MGW, or Maximum Gross Weight).
                                NOSEWEIGHT
                                The maximum downward force your towball can bear, or your caravan exerts.
                                MASS IN RUNNING ORDER (MIRO)
                                The weight of the caravan equipped to the manufacturer's standard specification.
                                UNLADEN WEIGHT
                                The weight of the trailer (or towing vehicle) less removable optional equipment and load.
                                USER PAYLOAD
                                The user payload comprises all extra items not included in the manufacturer's standard spec. The user payload is the MiRO subtracted from the MTPLM.
                                VERTICAL STATIC LOAD/NOSE LOAD
                                The weight imposed on the towball or eye by the trailer coupling.

* NB: For the purposes of determining the gross vehicle weight of the towing vehicle, the noseweight of the caravan is included as part of the car's payload. Consequently, the gross train weight is really the sum of the gross vehicle weight including the noseweight plus the axle weight of the caravan, not its total weight. If the noseweight is not included in the vehicle weight but in the weight of the caravan, there is a danger of overloading the car.
                                (\__/)
                                (")_(")

Comment

Working...
                                X