X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Towing Sizes

Maximum sizes for towing
    Towing vehicle under 3500kg GVW

Length (excluding the coupling and drawbar)
    7.0 metres

Maximum width
    2.3 metres

Towing vehicle over 3500kg GVW

Length (excluding the coupling and drawbar)
    12 metres if at least 4 wheels

Maximum width
    2.55 metres

Length of towing vehicle & trailer combined
    18 metres

Maximum overhang of load from rear of trailer
    3.05 metres

Further information from: National Trailer and Towing Association (NTTA)
    www.ntta.co.uk/law/law/

Maximum trailer sizes
    Type 01: unbraked trailers - max. 750kg gross trailer weight or half the towing vehicle's kerb weight - whichever is less.
    Type 02: trailers on overrun brakes - max. 3500kg gross trailer weight.
    1982 regulations require that all trailers, including unbraked ones, must be clearly marked with their maximum gross weight in kg. This may be checked at any time by the police at a weighbridge. Since 1 January 1997, all unbraked trailer plates must show the year of manufacture.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

First Time Towing

Well folks...here it is, the first time I hitched up the Horse Trailer. Unfortunatley it was taking wood upto the stables and this was the first time reversing with the trailer on..oops forgot to get the car straight.

It certainly does help to practice reversing if you can. Once back to the stables I practiced some tricky manoeuvres to get used to placing the trailer where I wanted it (not just straight back reversing). It sure did help to get the trailer round a near 90 degree turn to reverse the trailer back into its location.
      Attached Files
      Gaz

Comment

TIP when reversing many people use the top of the steering wheel as normal.
        you will find reversing with a trailer easier with your hand at the bottom.
        you will find that the direction is now determined by your hand at the bottom of the wheel. TRY IT !!!!
        (\__/)
        (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by dabigman
          just remember to put on your handbrake in the motor... we've recently had a bloke killed (on HGV, but similar) the trailer park brake wasn't on and he hitched up and didn't put on the handbrake, so when he connected the airline the whole rig started to move. He jumped off and went around the front of the vehicle and was crushed against another trailer.
          ...so no matter how long you've been doing it, double check everything!
          only thing to do if it happens to you is grab onto something and pull the airline back off again

Comment

Droplate.Tow ball. Arrester Bar.

The first two pictures show the way in which I consider to be safe for my towing needs.

Vehicle specification: Second gen wide body 2.4 desiel.
            The rear has been lifted 2" by means of longer coil springs.
            I have welded together two 4" drop plates giving a total thickness 20mm.
            The 4" drop plates were used to achieve a tow ball height of 17". The correct height for my Bailey Pageant.
            The reason for using two is the extra strength, with which I feel happer with.
            The plates are bolted on the top two holes and a second pair of holes that I transfered thru from the tow bar. (4 nuts and bolts in all ). The tow ball as can be seen are bolted on the lower holes of the drop plate along with the stabiliser fitting ( snake master ).
            While I am not happy with the looks of this set up I'm cofident it is strong enough. It could be said that lower strech bars to the chassis or tow bar side plate bolts would not go a miss.? or even change my stabiliser to an AL-KO (yes please, money permitting ). The electrics have been fitted to the bumper so that the tow ball and associated plates can be removed for off roading.
            The second two pictures are of an arrester bar that I fabricated. For those people who have not seen one before it takes in my case, a tow ball.Its very handy as the peple in my street are not at all helpfull, when it comes to parking with regards to getting the caravan on my drive.

Tip:
            Those of us who have fitted our own tow bar electrics. And pushed them down thru the plastic cap under the trim in the rear. Its a good idear until you go through deep water. I have now put silicone rubber around the cable and hole. My carpet still smells from the Mid Norfolk outing.

Geoff
            Attached Files
            Rubblebags (Geoff).

Comment

Towing and Lifting

We've got a Swift conquoror 580 Nt (1600kg fully loaded!) and I need to change out the rear springs (shocks appear ok) coz of bad butt sag! Now the questions is:

1) Replace rear springs and shocks with 2" lifted springs and shocks ?

2) Replace rear springs with 20% stonger Milner's job and leave shocks retaining hard/soft settings ?

3) Replace rear springs with 20% Milner's and replace shocks with after market jobs (standard height) ?

My main concern is that lifting by 2" all round is not gonna cure the sag at rear under towing and I may have to lower tow ball to correct for height. However, the 20% springs may give a ruff ride under normal use?

Any suggestions ? Only want to increase height coz I think it looks good ! Sad I know but there you go!

cheers
              Mart

......surf's up pal!

Comment

if you are not going to raise your surf go for the standard length springs but 20% uprated you can still keep the original adjustable shocks
                (\__/)
                (")_(")

Comment

Mart, I'd just fit LA Supertrux +2" HD rear coils, and leave the shocks for now if you want, or Procomps are only cheap, just choose 3000 (oil) or 9000 (gas, slightly firmer but better IMHO)

oh yeah, and a 2" drop plate for the towball.
                  4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by marky
                    if you are not going to raise your surf go for the standard length springs but 20% uprated you can still keep the original adjustable shocks
                    You can still keep the standard adjustable shox with lifted springs but you wont get full range of movement off road! It will limit the droop range of the rear axle but If you arn't doing a lot of off road work they will work fine!
                    www.europa88.co.uk Loadsa mods!

Comment

Cheers guys. Looks like the concensus is 2" lifted springs and leave the shocks till the budget can stretch.
                      Mart

......surf's up pal!

Comment

im off this weekend for our first outing...
                        only problem is when i came home today to get van ready, the hitch was a pain to get off ive a alko stabilizer and it just didnt want to part company with the tow ball....i used a citroen xantia before this and because of the suspension it was a doddle.. any tips on un hitching
                        if a politition is talking its lying

Comment

Wind the jockey wheel down till the back of the surf rises. pull on small handle as your alko handle will be raised & stand on the rear bumper step & it will seperate i have the same problem.
                          (\__/)
                          (")_(")

Comment

cheers marky will give it a wirl and try will let you know if it works
                            if a politition is talking its lying

Comment

so how did it go ?????
                              (\__/)
                              (")_(")

Comment

ok, this has probably been done before, but... what is the absolute maximum you can tow on a car??

it's just that dave wants to get a big trailer and tow 2 suzuki's on it... reckon they're about 750kgs each i've towed a 2 ton boat before so i can't see 1.5t + trailler will be a problem?... it will probably just attract more attention having 2 cars on the trailler.
                                i have B+E on my licence so i'm all ok there, just don't wanna get mr plod asking questions!
                                nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Working...
                                X