• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks TonyN.

much appreciated.

andyL

Comment

Andy that oil cooler isnt big enough, i`ve got a 19 row one in mine and a couple of weeks ago the a/t temp light came on for the first time while i was towing up a big hill, theres enough room to fit two coolers on mine so im going to do that at some point.
      Cheers

Mart 870

Racing for Thomas

Comment

Mart870,

Have you got an electric fan to assist the trans oil cooler when the ground speed is slow? My understanding is that the surf comes with one of those originally (the one in front of the rad). All I am trying to do is improve upon the design a little, that would mean keeping that electric fan, albeit a more efficient one.

19row? where did you squeeze that one in?

andyL

Comment

I cant comment on the 2.4 but on my 3.0L the electric fan in front of the rad is for the air con rad, the only transmittion cooling on a standard 3.0L auto is through the cooler in the bottom of the rad.

There`s no fan on my setup for the oil cooler but when the temp light came on the car was doing 35 so i would have thought there would have been enough air flow at the time. It`s never done it before going up the same hill even in the summer the only difference this time was having my dad on board lol.

I`m going to fit another cooler next to the one i`ve already installed, there`s enough room and it`s simply a case of daisy chaining them together.

http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/sho...t=feeling+heat here`s some pics, hope they are of some help.
          Cheers

Mart 870

Racing for Thomas

Comment

Thanks Mart,

I'll investigate a larger oil cooler.
            Waiting to hear the latest from Geoff (Rubblebags) on how his rad is performing.

Cheers, andyL

Comment

Originally posted by AndyLala
              Thanks Mart,

I'll investigate a larger oil cooler.
              Waiting to hear the latest from Geoff (Rubblebags) on how his rad is performing.

Cheers, andyL
              So Far so good. Will go up to the caravan this week end and give it a tow around.
              Rubblebags (Geoff).

Comment

Originally posted by mart 870
                I cant comment on the 2.4 but on my 3.0L the electric fan in front of the rad is for the air con rad, the only transmittion cooling on a standard 3.0L auto is through the cooler in the bottom of the rad.

There`s no fan on my setup for the oil cooler but when the temp light came on the car was doing 35 so i would have thought there would have been enough air flow at the time. It`s never done it before going up the same hill even in the summer the only difference this time was having my dad on board lol.

I`m going to fit another cooler next to the one i`ve already installed, there`s enough room and it`s simply a case of daisy chaining them together.

http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/sho...t=feeling+heat here`s some pics, hope they are of some help.
                The electric fan in front of your Radiator is not for the Aircon, This is an extra cooling fan controlled by a sensor near your Thermostat.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by mart 870
                  Andy that oil cooler isnt big enough, i`ve got a 19 row one in mine and a couple of weeks ago the a/t temp light came on for the first time while i was towing up a big hill, theres enough room to fit two coolers on mine so im going to do that at some point.
                  Check the type of oil you are using , also the quantity as this is not normal, My 2.4 puls my 1500kg caravan fine with no problems at all.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                  (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
                    Check the type of oil you are using , also the quantity as this is not normal, My 2.4 puls my 1500kg caravan fine with no problems at all.
                    Plus its only about 2 or 3 loops of pipe in the bottom of the rad and works fine 99% of the time
                    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

The fan is for the air con, it sits over the air con rad is about the size of the air con rad too and comes on when my air con is on. What would be the point of putting a fan for the cooling system rad infront of another rad?

Theres only three loops in the internal oil cooler but they are very long, we worked it out that with my 19 row cooler the length of pipe is about the same as the internal only the air cooled cooler doesnt have the benefit of a constant supply of "cooler" water running round it.
                      Last edited by mart 870; 8 October 2004, 23:37.
                      Cheers

Mart 870

Racing for Thomas

Comment

Gentlefolk,

My top tank is starting to weep, so won't be long now. The top tank had already been replaced once. Ho hum, more encouragment to make a descision and fix it once and for all.

TonyN... with my A/C condenser underslung, there is about 1/4 to 1/2 and inch clearance between the two. So I could get the new rad extended to close that gap a little. The Aussies seem to prefer that idea, and there has been some mention of keeping it three core and just having a closer gap, ie. longer deeper tubes, more fins and tighter packed. Something about four cores getting a hot spot in the centre...?

Rubblebags, I am exploring the idea of the ram effect that we discussed (draught excluder), and also John's (Viking Rads) idea of working on exiting the hot air from the engine bay, to get air flow through the rad. Its just the idea of cutting holes in the bonnet. So it'll be a Pacet bonnet fan, or some boy racer bonnet vents (not scoops). Something like the Lancia Intergrale bonnet vents up near the windscreen edge...

As for the other suggestions of exploring why the engine is running so hot. Yes I will add an external (fan assisted) oil cooler for the gearbox, probably with the thermostat valve on it. Yes I will do the EGR mod, if it makes a difference. This will probably mean one of the newer water pumps with the fewer and longer vanes as well.

This is getting to the point were I must consider whether the grin value is out weighed by the constant expense.

So I would welcome any suggestions, comments or criticisms... 'cos I am running out of options... and the sledge (persuader) is looking more persuading every day.

AndyL

Comment

Results

Hi Andy

Have given the caravan a tow around and so far it seems to be cool. However the little bit of extra cooling I thought I had ( due to the needle position ) appeares to have gone. So it's back to normal. John at Vikings suggested that it may not make any difference. Looks like he is right. But I do have a good four core rad and peace of mind.

Before you go cutting the bonnet around I have an Idear Im going to try.
                          I am going to put a piece of wood (2x1) between the bonnet and the slam plate and wire it shut and take it for a gentle run. The idear is to see if the extra air getting to the engine over the top of the radiator helps with engine tempreture. This could prove or mis-prove the idear of the air being traped.????????

Wish me luck.

Geoff
                          Last edited by rubblebags; 10 October 2004, 04:59.
                          Rubblebags (Geoff).

Comment

Geoff,

But as John mentioned when we were there, entry into the rad doesn't appear to be (much of) an issue, but rather because there is no flow after the rad, then the rad becomes the bottleneck. Perhaps bonnet vents may be the solution then you would have slightly cooler air from the rad exhaust flowing over the turbo and cylinder head.

AndyL

Comment

Originally posted by AndyLala
                              Gentlefolk,

This is getting to the point were I must consider whether the grin value is out weighed by the constant expense.

AndyL
                              Why not just get a new stock rad and go with the flow (sic! )

99% of other Surfs are running around quite happily. Its easy to get carried away with everyone giving advise and opinions (half of which are second hand, the Web is the biggest 'you don't wanna do that....' guy around! Me included, not a dig at anyone.) but your not towing 2 tons of trailer across the Sahara desert on a highly modified engine!

If stops becoming fun, don't do it! Just relax and get back to driving the thing.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Agreed,

Advise I have always given, the minute you stop grinning with a vehicle get shot of it.

Surfs notoriously have problems with cooling. Resolve the heat issues and you can enjoy it.

So what can cause it to overheat. Blockages or restrictions in the coolant system (incorrect coolant causing deposits over time), Poor design in the coolant system, poor engine oil coolant design, poor airflow through the radiator, poor gearbox cooler design (and location within the rad), Viscous fan leaking, etc. etc.

So what is the definitive answer to this?

My research has led me to the following:
                                • Re-core the rad - perhaps slightly large surface area
                                • through flush to remove blockages and restricitions
                                • Increase the airflow through the rad (improve rad exhaust airflow)
                                • move the gearbox cooler from the rad - maybe add a fan
                                • change the viscous fan for an electric one
                                • EGR Mod (Possibly - vacuum pipe or plate on pipe)
                                Is this appropriate, is it just hearsay (read cr*p), or just plain overkill. At what point do you draw the line? I do not relish the idea of being stuck in the back of beyond with my little treasures in the back... having to rely on someone else to get me out of the poo. It just seems that my surf has needed a lot of attention lately, and I simply will not spend much more. check out thread on aircon clutch, which actually looks like the bearings on the compressor...

Sorry TonyN just getting a little hacked off with it, and venting a little... If someone should offer me a hard bodied Pinzgauer for a swap, I would probably bite their hand off right now.

AndyL
                                Last edited by AndyLala; 10 October 2004, 10:45.

Comment

Working...
                                X