No announcement yet.

AT Tyres recommendation........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm accepting of the fact i may lose one or two MPG but that's not a big issue when the truck does 26.5mpg on a run to Scotland at around 75mph from Northampton, which for what it is i think is pretty good. Much less economical 4x4's out there.

As for looking cool.....yep sounds good to me. Just an added bonus along with much better grip than road tyres regardless of how wide the A/T's end up.

I was told today there wasn't a huge margin in off-road grip between BFG A/T's and M/T's and there were A/T and M/T users doing the same techy bits of the course with A/T users managing as well as M/T users but they all said the A/T's were definitely a better drive generally on-road and perhaps a tiny bit quieter than M/T's but again not a lot in it.

There were bits of the course that everyone was struggling on, including those 4x4's with a big lift, big chunky M/T tyres and lockers both ends but i think it's down to what the truck and the driver get on with best, and the feedback from users of BFG's has so far been very positive.

275/70/16's sounds like a plan. It's fair to say bigger isn't always better but it does look good.
    Now it's time to play!

Comment

My 255/40/20 Toyo tyres are useless in the mud and wet grass, but excellent on dry roads!

Comment

I currently run Runway Enduro HT and i thought they coped really well with the rough stuff today. Not bad through deep standing water on the motorway at over 70-80-mph either but crap in the snow and ice.

Could be due to their 400 treadwear rating, might just bee too hard when really cold.
        Now it's time to play!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
          You certainly don't!

How many have you tried now?
          Lol, no doubt it won't be my last, they are in my blood now.
          I think my next one will have to be something special, black with really nice alloys maybe!!!!!
          If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by ROMEROTECH View Post
            That's exactly what i want to hear. Awesome!

Went to Gt.Brickhill off-road play site today with Northants 4x4 club. It was very well attended with 30 odd 4x4's there. Mostly Landys but a couple of Yotas and other makes. What a lot of fun for not a lot of money. Awesome day out and what a nice bunch.

Firstly i am in awe of the capability of these trucks in factory tirm and on road tyres. Totally gobsmacked at what it can do. Some of the muddy and heavily rutted ascents looked impossible but once you did a couple the rest were no problem. Having that LSD is a bonus.

I'm so glad i bought the truck, and i totally love it again after today. bigtime looking forward to fitting BFG A/T's, it will give me the confidence to try out some of the more technical bits.

I'd like some 275/70/16's instead of 265's. So long as they don't rub anywhere, specially when tackling some of the more angled and rutted bits of a course i'll go for those.

Surfs rock!
            My tyres do rub very slightly on the front wheel arch extensions when articulating, just a little scrub noise occasionally. (only just makes contact)

Ride height is a little increase with these bigger tyres, and like the guys said fuel economy is reduced by a couple of mpg (I now average 26.6mpg)
            Attached Files

Comment

Your truck looks in lovely condition. Those wheels look good with the slightly bigger tyres, in fact they look mint.

You are currently getting 26.5mpg with the bigger BFG A/T's, that's pretty good.

I'd have said the bigger diameter tyre would lower the rpms you travel at for any given speed so even though you might lose a couple of mpg using the A/T i wonder if the bigger diameter tyre/lower rpms negates that loss.

I may well end up not losing out mpg with any luck.

Is your speedo more accurate?
              Now it's time to play!

Comment

On our first truck we fitted 265/75/16 BFG ATs. The speedo and milometer were almost 100% accurate (when measured against a GPS) with the higher profile tyres as opposed to over reading with std tyres.
                They did lightly rub on the front plastic wheelarch liner on full lock.
                Mark

Comment

Originally posted by markp2 View Post
                  On our first truck we fitted 265/75/16 BFG ATs. The speedo and milometer were almost 100% accurate (when measured against a GPS) with the higher profile tyres as opposed to over reading with std tyres.
                  They did lightly rub on the front plastic wheelarch liner on full lock.
                  Mark
                  A little bit of rubbing shouldn't be too much of an issue to sort out. File a bit here, file a bit there.

I want the 75 profile because it's 1" more total diameter so 1/2" higher off the ground and, i noticed for whatever reason they are better rated in the wet on-road than the 70 profile. No idea why but the 75's get an 'A' rating and the 70's a 'C'.

Better in the wet is a no brainer, 1/2" more clearance is a no brainer too. I am now however debating whether to go KM2's or stick to the original plan of A/T KO's. Very similar price and also rated 'A' in the wet and 'C' road noise rating which is identical.

Thinking what to do because the time to order them is almost here (this week!)

Thoughts please
                  Now it's time to play!

Comment

My mate has always had BFG All Terrains on his Nissan X-terra.
                    At the beginning of the winter he fitted BFG Mud Terrains.
                    He reckons the M/T's are noisier and wear faster (mostly on-road driving) and he is now switching back to A/T's.

Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

If they were too noisy it might get a bit much on one of our trips to scotland.

I wonder if it has anything do with the vehicle they are on. Are they noisier noisier on some trucks than others?
                      Now it's time to play!

Comment

There's a new BFG M/T tread pattern out now and it's as quiet on the road as the A/T.

Comment

KM2's have been out a while though. Is this the new tread?

Now it's time to play!

Comment

Originally posted by ROMEROTECH View Post
                            KM2's have been out a while though. Is this the new tread?

Yeah that's the one, I have a truck here with them on in 33" flavour and they make no noise at all on the road.

Comment

I think you just might have swung it for me. Even if they only last 30K miles at the price i'm paying that's just fine.

Here's the links to both the A/T's and MK2's.

http://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyre...r16-120q-57111

http://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyre...r16-123s-59605

Having looked extensively over here i cannot find them even close to that price.
                              Now it's time to play!

Comment

Having other thoughts..... Insa Special Tracks - Sahara - Dakar - Kingpin Advantage

What are they like to live with on a daily basis.

Same for Dakars and Saharas. Been looking at Kingpin Advantage as well.

Does anybody have any of the above used for sale for a reasonable price?

I think i'm now going the way of the two sets of tyres unless the above are ok to live with, so if i'm going to get some off-road tyres they may as well be proper ones.
                                Now it's time to play!

Comment

Working...
                                X