No announcement yet.

AT Tyres recommendation........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had BFG on my first Surf and then on my 4Runner, behaved on and off road no complaints with them at all.
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

The more i think about it the more i want some BFG's on the truck.

I won't be trying another set of AT's though for some time as the BFG's last so long so got to be the right choice.

Even so, looks like a no brainer.
      Now it's time to play!

Comment

Originally posted by ROMEROTECH View Post
        The more i think about it the more i want some BFG's on the truck.

I won't be trying another set of AT's though for some time as the BFG's last so long so got to be the right choice.

Even so, looks like a no brainer.
        If your planning on keeping the truck for a long time then it's worth it, you know it makes sence.
        If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

I've had the old bugger 2.5yrs now. I get really attached to my vehicles so it will be a long term thing. Had my Subaru for 9yrs now, had the Jag for nearly 5yrs so it looks like a keeper.

The Surf ss an awesome piece of kit out of the box however, the more i watch these Australian Outback adventures in Yotas the more my mind starts whizzing with plans of lifts, lockers and big tyres. I then i come back down to earth with thoughts of how much it will all cost.

I've got to stop watching this vids though, i'm addicted!
          Now it's time to play!

Comment

A V8 soon then.

Comment

In all seriousness i was thinking 4.2
              Now it's time to play!

Comment

Originally posted by ROMEROTECH View Post
                In all seriousness i was thinking 4.2
                It won't fit.

Comment

Bummer!! I'll have to get a Landcruiser then
                  Now it's time to play!

Comment

Big tyres

I've got 275/70/16 Bfgoodrich on my 97 gen3 at standard ride height.

People spoke about them being quite a hard compound and that they were not good in the wet, also I read they were noisy at motorway speeds...

I have had them now for about 20,000 miles and firstly the grip in the wet and dry is far superior to the yokohama's or Dunlop I have used before.
                    They tread wear is not noticeable so far as they still look newish. As far as the compound being hard - this related to the older bfgoodrich at tyres which were way harder than the new ones you will buy now days, also they have a high silica content and extra 'sipes' (little cuts in the treads) which mean they are now excellent in ice and snow aswell.

Noise is not noticeably different, slightly louder when you corner hard at higher speeds.

Biggest difference with these compared with other at tyres I have used is the firm (puncture resistant) sidewalls on these, they make the ride much firmer but this seems to make the car handle better on and off road.

Oh yeah, only downside I've found is they seem to pick up stones a lot. (which later get fired at passing cars on the motorway :-P
                    Hope this helps :-)

Comment

That's exactly what i want to hear. Awesome!

Went to Gt.Brickhill off-road play site today with Northants 4x4 club. It was very well attended with 30 odd 4x4's there. Mostly Landys but a couple of Yotas and other makes. What a lot of fun for not a lot of money. Awesome day out and what a nice bunch.

Firstly i am in awe of the capability of these trucks in factory tirm and on road tyres. Totally gobsmacked at what it can do. Some of the muddy and heavily rutted ascents looked impossible but once you did a couple the rest were no problem. Having that LSD is a bonus.

I'm so glad i bought the truck, and i totally love it again after today. bigtime looking forward to fitting BFG A/T's, it will give me the confidence to try out some of the more technical bits.

I'd like some 275/70/16's instead of 265's. So long as they don't rub anywhere, specially when tackling some of the more angled and rutted bits of a course i'll go for those.

Surfs rock!
                      Now it's time to play!

Comment

Wider tyre may look cool but they won't necessarily give any more useful grip.

Wider tyre more footprint on the ground which will spread the load more to give less weight on each tyre, but could give more of a chance to find grip.
                        Narrower tyres may allow the tyre to bite down on the loose surface and give more grip but cutting through.

But wide tyres look cool.
                        Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
                          Wider tyre may look cool but they won't necessarily give any more useful grip.

Wider tyre more footprint on the ground which will spread the load more to give less weight on each tyre, but could give more of a chance to find grip.
                          Narrower tyres may allow the tyre to bite down on the loose surface and give more grip but cutting through.

But wide tyres look cool.
                          Also....
                          Wider tyre = Bigger footprint = More drag = Uses more fuel.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                            Also....
                            Another one or two less MPG won't kill Vince, after all you don't buy a surf for its economy characteristics.
                            If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                              Also....
                              Not necessarily.
                              You may have less contact with the road depending on tread pattern.less contact with road will mean less friction.
                              Unless you mean drag caused by air flow.
                              But it's late and my head hurts.
                              Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by si tate View Post
                                Another one or two less MPG won't kill Vince, after all you don't buy a surf for its economy characteristics.
                                You certainly don't!

How many have you tried now?

Comment

Working...
                                X