Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd Gen Lift

Righty ho chaps,

The Service and MOT is coming up on the Mistress in August, and I don't want to have to replace any tyres on her for the MOT that I'll have to replace again, so the time for the summer lift is now!

The Mistress is a 3rd Gen 3.4 V6 N reg 1996/7
    1. I am planning to use the roughtraxx lift kit (once it is in stock: end of the month aparently)
    2. I'm also looking to do a 2 inch body lift
    3. I'm hoping to run 33 12.5 R15's on it (as had these before on a 2nd Gen)

What I would appreciate is some advice on any suggested kits for the body lift, as I have no way to manufacture my own.

Also, if anybody suggests a better way than going the suspension lift kit from roughtraxx route.

Also, what other parts are worth upgrading at the same time as the lift (brake hose's, bushes etc. seem to be available from roughtraxx)

Also, if anybody has any concerns with the tyres. Am planning to get some Geral Grabber AT's with modulars 10" wheels. They seem to be around £700 all in and balanced from eBay or £630 bought seperately to be fitted balanced afterwards.

I'm in Edinburgh these days, but will be driving the Mistress down to my trusted mechanic in London to do the work. I'll be providing him with much of the walk through information available on this site for reference, but if anybody thinks I need to advise him of anything else......

Comments suggestions and offers of help appreciated !!!
    Take your words, put them on a plate, add a little bit of humble pie, and eat them!

dont think the 15" rims will fit a 3rd gen due to bigger callipers ect..

Comment

think trevs right 16"
      Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Hmm - cheers, that could have been embarassing. will check out the 16's
        Take your words, put them on a plate, add a little bit of humble pie, and eat them!

Comment

315/70/r16's I think...
          "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
          www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

305/75/R16 is the equivalent to 33"/12.50/R15.
            As fitted to Lexurf VI (2nd gen, 16" alloys)

Comment

Cheers guys

any ideas about the body lift? Is anyone manufacturing them on the forum at the moment?

Comment

Hmm

305/75/R16 ?

Are you sure as, judging by google, It would be easier to find 4 giant pandas to fit the truck!

Can't find them anywhere.

Comment

305/70/R16, I think.
                  Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Cheers - will have a look about.

Have seen these body lift kits for 1/2/3 inch lifts:

http://xpajun.com/index.php?cPath=41

Anybody used these?

Comment

Those lifts are not complete, 3" will require lots of other effort, like longer pipes for fuel filler and breathers, the auto shifter and T/case lever needs adapting, and cables are a little stretched. 2" goes it ok without stretching wires and brake pipes to much, but still usually requires mods to the shifter holes. 1 1/2" goes in easily and the best option if your not looking to get max lift at expence of other things.

You also need bumper and rad brackets to fit it properly, and 3rd Gens need a spacer for the steering shaft the same height as the lift.

I have a couple of lifts to make for people at the mo, but can't make them as cheap as that, but they are complete with all the brackets you don't get with that Co.

I normally make the 3rd Gen steering spacer to suit, so maybe tricky without truck here, you have to careful with the size as the exhaust is close and the steering shaft lock bolt can hit the manifold on 2" lifts.

The Roughtrax suspension lifts are very good, I like the Monroe shocks so far, and their springs have always been good. I fit very little else these days, TJM are higher quality, but over twice as much to buy, and hard to get hold of too, as are other brands.

Remember body lift raise the center of gravity, without any increase in spring rates or damping, so body roll will increase the higher you go. Suspension lifts are designed with this in mind so things are uprated to allow for the extra momentum of more weight higher up.

Lift as little as possible, to get the tyres you want to clear without rubbing is the right way to go.
                      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks Tony

I previously had a 2nd gen with what I was told was a 2.5 + 2.5 lift susp / body and it was running 33 12.50 15's

Now as I didn't have the lift done myself, I can't vouch for the figures, but I liked the tyre size. From what's said above an equivalent on 16's would be a 305 70 16 and I'd need to fit them on 16 * 10" rims. Would probably be GG AT2s.

That said, would I get away with a 1.5" body lift and the susp lift from roughtraxx? It's quoted as 2", but I'm sure I've ready somwhere on one of your posts that they are closer to 40mm, which is really only just over 1.5".

Would definitely prefer to get the body lift kit from you if your making some up. It looks like I'll be waiting till end of July for the springs to be in stock at roughtraxx anyway. Then the MOT's due in August, so hopefully no delays.

Thanks for the help all.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaft120 View Post
                          Hmm

305/75/R16 ?

Are you sure as, judging by google, It would be easier to find 4 giant pandas to fit the truck!

Can't find them anywhere.
                          Four giant Pandas won't fit, they're too fluffy.

Sorry, I meant 70 not 75 profile.
                          Camskill have them, unless I've recently bought the last five left.

Comment

Hmm - ta - they have them in and for £130ea, best I've seen.

.. saying that, the Kumho KL71's were out of stock, but did look sweet in the comparison.. Anybody know how these would compare ?

Comment

Where in Edinburgh are you getting the suspension lifted? I'm considering getting the exact same Roughtrax kit fitted soon as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X