92 smoke on start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh well, good luck!
    If the mountain wont come to mohammed..... smash the place up!!

Comment

well i gues i wont be rebuilding this engine as there is no one who will do it here in canada, i wont settle for a used egine as i do not want to go through this again, so looks like i will be converting the engine to a 3.4ltr gasoline, cheaper in the long run and better fuel economy as well as more horse power and more available parts.

Comment

i decided to rebuld the engine the surf is in the shop now, i had found out the cylinders were tapered a bit, and the exhaust valves were out of spec, another week i will have the surf back, will update when complete

Comment

Congrats Kit, hope it comes back like new. H

Comment

now everything seams to be in order, still have a cold start issue, everything is operating as it should and everything is lined up as it should be, still a rough cold start with very little smoke(white) now i believe this is due to my timing on the injector pump, i have a slight knock when cold, im thinking my timing should be retarded? not sure, not getting a complete burn, my injector pump is a reman and i am not sure if it is calibrated to my surf, i have heard of people playing with the timing on the injector pump? any info?, and yes i have reset the ecu

Comment

so i checked my glow plugs with a multi meter, everything is good in all cycles, i did notice that after my 10.5 v glow it fires up nicely but when the plugs cycle to 6.5 v while the engine is running it coughs and spits, so i think the 6.5 v isnt enough power to the plugs for the cold weather here in Canada, so im thinking of a manual glow plug system any input?

Comment

I am having a somewhat similar problem to you but only sometimes. I am in Canada as well in NW Ontario. So I do get the cold temps too. I have a 1kz-te though. Mine always starts on the first crank but then after a few seconds it will start to miss and smoke some until it finally levels out and runs smooth. I've recently had my injection pump and injectors rebuilt and nothing changed. If anything my mileage and power dropped a bit from those two things. I had a leaky plunger on my fuel filter housing but I replaced the whole thing with a 2 micron CAT filter and plunger setup so thats all fine. I haven't changed the temp sensor or the glowplugs but as the truck starts right away no problem I didn't think it would be the plugs nor bad compression as it will start at -30 fine too.

When mine smokes it is some white and blue smoke and it happens only during the warm up period. I'm curious too. If you rev your truck up in neutral to over 2500rpm does it miss and spit and smoke some? Mine does and a few others on this continent do. Mine misses and smokes like crazy when revved with no load. Mine has 380000kms on the clock right now with no considerable oil consumption (1L every 5000kms).

Comment

yes my surf is the same as you describe, i have come to the conclusion that the preheating system on a surf is not that great in cold climates, i am working on a suplement system , check out my other thread

Comment

Hello all

I live in the uk (surry/hampshire border) and mine is identical to as scott324 describes his, almost like he'd used my Surf and worded the symptoms perfectly. We have been getting colder but nothing like you guys would be experiencing, and it's acting up a little more as it gets colder. I had kind of resigned myself to a possible air leak in the injector lines (although i'm sure it would leak, and it doesn't appear to be). Let me know what you find.
                    If the mountain wont come to mohammed..... smash the place up!!

Comment

I just read this thread in one sitting and it sounded so like a problem I had with a petrol BMW I once owned that I thought I would just put my pennyworth in:
                      I lived at sea level in Durban in South Africa and the car started well there. I drove nearly every week north to Johannesburg, about 400 miles but crucially about 6000 feet above sea level. It would be fine the day of arrival but the next day was a PIG to start. Long story short, it was valve wear and the much lower air pressure combining to create a situation that appeared not to be a problem at sea level. I note that there is a big altitude differential between home and work for Kit05, and that the exhaust valves were "out of spec", whatever that means. Pressure testing of the head when it was off for the rebuild should have revealed any valve problems though and I'm sure any engineer would re-seat them ALL anyway. Hope your problems are over by now...

Comment

Working...
                      X