X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel offset

Hi all
    Stupid question no. 312

Just got a second hand set of wheels with m/t's on. Taken off the factory wheel and fitted the new one and the wheel centre sits much prouder than before and doesnt look right.

Is it a different offset? Do I need spacers?
    Not that I'm a newbie at all. ahem
    Attached Files

Nowt to do with offset. The reason is your new wheel is steel and so thinner than an alloy. Thats why the hub sticks out further. The offset is a measure of how far the centre of the width of the rim is from the mounting flats measured horizontally.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

soooo.... they are ok to fit?

Comment

Dunno without knowing the offset...

Do they rub at all on full lock? How do they look? (ignoring the hub area)

If they dont rub and dont stick out miles they should be OK.
        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Damn it. Fitted one on the passenger side, pulled out of the drive and in full lock theres a squeaking rubbing noise.
          Got out and had a look and cant see where it's rubbing though.

Think the guy I got them from had a 2" suspension lift, would this make the difference? They are the same size wheels as the a/ts I have now but as you say the wheels fit very differently.

Could this be the excuse I need to get some 2" uprated springs??

Comment

Sorry Paul, didn't think of anything like that

My truck was actually in theory +4", or on the back anyway. I had it dropped after the tyres were removed but its still +2"

Cheers

Chris
            Signature stolen along with Surf...

Comment

Have a look around the wheel, somewhere it should say the offset. It will be in the form of ET and then a number. Standard wheels are ET8.
              A suspension lift wont make any difference.
              What size are they tyres fitted and what size are on your old wheels?
              Ebay search item 230357761354 !

Comment

Hey Chris
                No worries at all, my fault I didnt think to ask
                Tried to call you earlier but couldn't get through.
                So are we thinking 2" should do it?

Been wanting an excuse to raise it a bit

Good to meet you the other day

Comment

might be rubbing the arb, check for a shiny or clean bit.
                  Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny77 View Post
                    Have a look around the wheel, somewhere it should say the offset. It will be in the form of ET and then a number. Standard wheels are ET8.
                    What you meant to say was 'ET -8' really wasn't it?
                    =========
                    =SOLD UP!=
                    =========

Comment

Originally posted by nero279 View Post
                      What you meant to say was 'ET -8' really wasn't it?
                      I am only 16 ET's out! What the fek does ET stand for anyway?
                      Ebay search item 230357761354 !

Comment

I am only 16 ET's out! What the fek does ET stand for anyway?
                        'cos he can't see over the steering wheel if he sits down

Comment

All I can find on the wheels is Mangels T-7JJx15-435

The tyres are 31x10.5x15 which is the same size as the a/ts I have on the standard wheels

Comment

The difference in offset isnt great enough that it should cause issues.

Get your wife/partner/spose/neighbour/local samaritan to jump in your truck an pull it on full lock an then just have a look around. Upper wishbone clearance should be fine! ARB should be fine! Wheel arch should be miles away! Im gunna throw out the fact that it could just be worn steering stops!

fingers crossed!

Comment

Originally posted by biosurf View Post
                              All I can find on the wheels is Mangels T-7JJx15-435

The tyres are 31x10.5x15 which is the same size as the a/ts I have on the standard wheels
                              Gah! Just found this on another offset thread. really confused now

'Just to add to that, the 7JJ has nothing to do with the ofset its the rim shape for holding on the tyre. I didn't know that until recently, I thought is was the offset but it is something about the height, depth and shape of the lip around the wheel that holds on the tyre.'

Really confused now!
                              I'll try and fit the tyres again when I come back form the plains run and see where they are rubbing.
                              either that or I have a guinea pig stuck in my wheel arch?

thanks for help so far peeps

Comment

Working...
                              X