Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed on 3rd Gen Suspension

Hi All,

We have some ginormous speed bumps in our road and my gen 3 bottoms out at the rear everytime with only me in it, also, with a couple of people in the back it bottoms out on relatively small bumps which seems a bit strange. The other oddity, just in case it is important, is that any reasonably large pot hole causes the whole body to shudder...is all this connected?

My guess is that the springs have had it but should I also replace the shock absorbers or are the shox causing the problem? I have searched around the forum and haven't read about anyone else having the same problem so any ideas or solutions would be greatly received.

Keith

If it bottoms out easily, then the springs are knackered. The shocks control the rebound of the springs. If you're getting shuddering, then it seems the shocks have had it too!

Comment

Does the 3rd gen still have a ladder chassis, with the body bolted to it, as the 2nd gen does?

If so, body shudder could be a loose bolt or two? possibly? maybe not.. I dunno!!
      It just does, OK?

Comment

Yep, 3rd gen is still ladder chassis, I have not noticed anything loose but I can feel the shudder through the steering which is why I was asking about the shocks. I will still get under and check.

If I need to replace both springs and shocks any recommendation, I fancy a lift kit but as I tow it means a huge drop plate, it is already dropped 3" now. Is there a write up by somone who has already done it?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Rincewind
          I fancy a lift kit but as I tow it means a huge drop plate,
          Why's that? Surely the towbar will be attached to the chassis, not the body?
          It just does, OK?

Comment

Just re-read..

You're on about a suspension lift, not a body lift...

Doh!!!
            It just does, OK?

Comment

A suspension lift will raise the chassis too!

Comment

That's what I meant... I think!!
                It just does, OK?

Comment

Originally posted by dave.j.robbo
                  That's what I meant... I think!!

hehehe!!
                  A bodylift won't affect the height of the towbar.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                    hehehe!!
                    A bodylift won't affect the height of the towbar.
                    Correct!! THAT's what I meant!!!!
                    It just does, OK?

Comment

Originally posted by Rincewind
                      Yep, 3rd gen is still ladder chassis, I have not noticed anything loose but I can feel the shudder through the steering which is why I was asking about the shocks. I will still get under and check.

If I need to replace both springs and shocks any recommendation, I fancy a lift kit but as I tow it means a huge drop plate, it is already dropped 3" now. Is there a write up by somone who has already done it?

Thanks

http://www.milneroffroad.com/KZN185.htm#strg

Comment

I get a similar experience on my 3rd Generation. It doesn't bottom out at the back but it doesn't take much stuff in the boot for the rear end to sag. I also get the shudder through the steering wheel when hitting pot holes or tram lines in the roads. I work in the motor trade & nothing has been found wrong with it, it has been put down to the flex in the tyre walls & the steering rack polyurthene replacement bush kit that I had fitted as there is not as much flex in them as the OEM rubber bushes. Unfortunatly Toyota do not sell the rubber bushes seperatly, they only come with a new steering rack so the poly bushes will have to stay. This is the only thing that I dislike about my Surf & it annoys me so much that I have thought about getting rid of it. I would really like to get rid of the shudder but as I said I have had a team of technicians look at it & they have all said there is nothing wrong with it.

Comment

This seems to be the good news/bad news situation.

It's good news as someone else has the problem but bad news as there doesn't seem to be a cure.

I have just changed my steering bushes to polyurethane as well but I am not convinced it is much worse than before, perhaps a touch more through the steering but the body shake is about the same.

I noticed that there is very little space between the front suspension and the bump stop and wonder if the shake is due to the bump stop being hit when going down potholes due to the springs being a bit weak and the shocks not damping out the movement.

I have read a few threads on who to get suspension from and nobody particularly comes out top as I get the impression it all comes from the same manufacturer so I guess it is down to price.

PS Iclascaris, I am just the otherside of the river, what colour is your 3rd gen?

Comment

My Surf is dark blue, narrow bodied 3rd Generation, with chrome bumpers & safari snorkel.

With regards to the steering & body shake/shudder, I would really like to cure it if I new what is causing it. It's seems that it might be one of those problems that take a long time & money by changing various parts. Lets hope someone else has cured this problem & that they post the information. If I find out what it is I will of course let you know. I'm also in the middle of thinking of fitting a 2" suspension lift & can't decide what kit to go with, & i'm also worried that the lift might make the problem worse. Regards Lewis.
                            Last edited by lclascaris; 16 August 2006, 09:14.

Comment

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ght=shuddering

Comment

Working...
                              X