V8 Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lord lucan View Post
    That kit from supertrux, and engine conversions dont fit a surf they are for a hilux with leafs, surfs have ifs, the sump kisses the diff big time. anyone on here with 4x4 v8 rover?
    whats in your then???? the rover v8 came with a few different sump designs,so depending on where your rover lump came from you will more than often have to mod the sump regardless of it being ifs or leaf sprung.and before you say it.i made my own conversion kit.so i was able to overcome a lot of the probs.all be it 2wd only.
    Last edited by surfenstein; 8 March 2008, 19:26.
    www.overfab.uk

Comment

every rover lump came with the main sump at the back, but i would have thought you would know that, being the v8 king.:pimp2
      JAP4X4PART ¬ THE BIGGEST SURF BREAKER IN THE UK ¬

Comment

every rover lump came with the main sump at the back, but i would have thought you would know that, being the v8 king.:pimp2
        what im saying is it doesnt matter wether you have ifs or leaf sprung axles 9 time out of ten you will have to mod the sump.and no not every rover lump had the main sump/oil pick up at the back.there were a few specials produced.if you get a chance being a garage owner have a look at a tvr sump and a morgan aero 8 sump.
        Last edited by surfenstein; 8 March 2008, 19:49.
        www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein View Post
          what im saying is it doesnt matter wether you have ifs or leaf sprung axles 9 time out of ten you will have to mod the sump.and no not every rover lump had the main sump/oil pick up at the back.there were a few specials produced.if you get a chance being a garage owner have a look at a tvr sump and a morgan aero 8 sump.
          yeah being a garage owner we dont get many morgans or aero 8 passing through at the moment, tvr lump in a surf ----thats like a pikey wearing a rolex
          JAP4X4PART ¬ THE BIGGEST SURF BREAKER IN THE UK ¬

Comment

That kit from supertrux, and engine conversions dont fit a surf they are for a hilux with leafs, surfs have ifs, the sump kisses the diff big time. anyone on here with 4x4 v8 rover surf
            The axle hits the V8 sump on leaf spring trucks with no lift and flexed out offorad, but most trucks with a V8 have some lift.

You do know one of the reasons Toyota went IFS in the US in 86' was to make room for the bigger sumped V6 motor, so there is actually more room, you can't fit the Toy V6 in a solid axle truck without a suspension lift.

As i said earlier, all v8 conversion available in the UK are to fit the older, smaller 5 speed pickup box, not the bigger box fitted to surfs. Its a completely different (and stronger) gearbox.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I agree as putting in my rover v8 3.5 in a surf I'm still having to mod the sump and the mounts for the engine and bellhousing all still have to be moded. also got to make new manafolds up too what a head bang bang

I'll get there in the end.
              Last edited by Ed209; 10 March 2008, 00:50.
              Nice V8

Comment

Here it is new moded bellhousing for my surf.
                Nice V8

Comment

And here it is fitted..
                  Nice V8

Comment

Originally posted by jmc View Post
                    Things have finally started moving now. The engine is in the workshop and the ECU and loom are off to Venom Cobras in Brisbane for testing and modification.

Hopefully it should be possible to mate the V8 transmission with the Surf transfer case and control it with a single ECU.

Also - if anyone knows someone who is breaking a V6 Surf, please let me know!
                    OK, it's been two years now since you took it to LAS, is it on the road yet?
                    Where are the photos? I want to compare

Comment

***bump***

Comment

Working...
                      X