• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TonyN
    Small Block Chevy, or Rover?

Give me a chance, I've been busy!!!!
    not trying to teach you how to suck eggs,coz you already know.but,
    i take it either of these motors will be tweaked ,tony? well if it were me,i would go rover,lighyweight,parts are easy to come buy,but expensive,and you need to spend a lot of money to get high horse power out of them and you already have a g/box fabbed up for one.but on the other hand if you want a bullet proof engine thats relatively easy to work on,with big power gains for little money and the fact that it will be one of a kind then its got to be the small block,the only thing that lets it down is the weight factor,i see from the pics that you havnt got very far with the project then tony,do you need a hand.
    p.s you could always put a rover engine in the back and one up front now that would be the dogs danglies,
    Last edited by surfenstein; 5 November 2006, 10:47.
    www.overfab.uk

Comment

found this site for the lexus v8 engine,it might be of some help to you in the future.http://www.lextreme.com/forums/index.php?
      www.overfab.uk

Comment

Well, things have been moving VERY slowly but finally some progress.

The ECU and loom are due back in the country this week hopefully and my V8 auto box has been stripped, serviced and fitted with the Surf tailshaft, housing and transfer case.

The bad news is the box needed a fair bit of work, to the tune of £650! Whilst the cost is a short term annoyance, it makes me worry as to how the engine has been treated in the past.

Hopefully the biggest cost from here on out will be the headers and exhaust system!

Looks like any cosmetic work (rear bumper and a s$$$$ed wheelarch extension) I had planned for the old girl will have to be put on hold for a while but I'll have parts off my old 2.4 block to sell like the turbo, alternator, etc. as well as a Longlife stainless exhaust system and a set of brand new genuine glow plugs.

I'll post an ad for these once the work is done and I actually have easy access to the parts.

Comment

What loom did you send off to Oz, the Soarer or the Surfs?

I'm gonna do the same engine swap sometime this year, but I'll be getting a complete Soarer first and transplant the engine complete with wiring/ecu..

Comment

I am working hard at getting a true "easy to fit" kit together for the Lexus into the Surf swap.
            Seem to have found some good parts, and the knowledge bank is building all of the time. The BIG issue will be the headers. All of the sites talking about the conversion say it would be loads easier with a good set of headers. So we are going to get our resident exhaust tubing knot tier to build some slip on beauties that work AND fit like factory. They should up the rumpty rump factor quite a bit as well.

regards Nigel
            Monster trucks, BIG,Loud,Fast, What's not to like?

Comment

Hi All

just would like to know if someone knows a temple for a rover v8 bell to g/box... surf 2.4
              Nice V8

Comment

Originally posted by Ed209 View Post
                just would like to know if someone knows a temple for a rover v8 bell to g/box... surf 2.4
                http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/sear...p=1%26fsoo%3D1

Comment

Hi all

I've just taking my 2.4 apart as one of the ####ton has gone so now the engine is coming out. God there's a lot of water and air pipes. I'm going to put a rover 3.5 v8 carb in it. Doe's any one know about the ecu from the 2.4 to by pass it??
                  Nice V8

Comment

I've just taking my 2.4 apart as one of the ####ton has gone so now the engine is coming out. God there's a lot of water and air pipes. I'm going to put a rover 3.5 v8 carb in it. Doe's any one know about the ecu from the 2.4 to by pass it??
                    what i did was to cut all the wires from the loom and fit caps on all of them. most of them will be running 6 volts anyway so they are no good.next i removed the battery compartment from under the bonnet to the boot and fitted a kill switch under the bonnet.there is a lot more room with the batttery tray removed from the engine bay.i then fitted a 12v electric fuel pump under the truck out of harms way and fed a switched live feed to it from the battery.then i took an ignition live feed into the engine compartment as used this to power the coil.then took some 30mm welding cable from the battery along the top of the chassis to the kill switch,from the kill switch the wires ran down to the starter.and i then fitted a push button start switch.when you fit the v8 make sure you have a short nosed water pump other wise it will rub on the rad.also fit the v8 level,dont fit it tilting backwards.this has the effect of starving the front camshaft journal of oil.and before you know it you will be burning the bearing out.ive just done this conversion myself,so if i can be of any help,just yellll!!!!!!
                    Last edited by surfenstein; 8 February 2008, 19:36.
                    www.overfab.uk

Comment

Thank u I'll have a look at the water pump still waiting for the engine and kit so when it comes this should be good fun...
                      Nice V8

Comment

Hi all! Got the kit for Rover v8 to Hilux 5-speed g/box but it don't fit to the g/box it's too small and all the holes don't line up..

look. The one on the lift is the Rover v8 to Hilux 5-speed g/box..

Could it be for the Hilux pickup ?????? help. I have a 2.4 surf

Last edited by Ed209; 25 February 2008, 02:00.
                        Nice V8

Comment

There is no adapter for a Surf Auto or manual available in the UK. You'll have a fit a early 5 speed pickup gearbox of make one yourself.

Did they say it'll fit? Someone was telling porkies, or you didn't mention the Surf bit after Hilux!
                          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Hi all! Got the kit for Rover v8 to Hilux 5-speed g/box but it don't fit to the g/box it's too small and all the holes don't line up..

look. The one on the lift is the Rover v8 to Hilux 5-speed g/box..

Could it be for the Hilux pickup ?????? help. I have a 2.4 surf

i might be able to help but not till next week, i,ll let you no, dont fit a hilux box there to weak.
                            JAP4X4PART ¬ THE BIGGEST SURF BREAKER IN THE UK ¬

Comment

It's all ok now I phoned Conversion & Precision Engineering and they said, ok just send the bellhousing back and my bellhousing to them and they will make me a one that will fit, How cool is that.

When I get the new one back I'll take a photo and put it on here.
                              Last edited by Ed209; 25 February 2008, 22:30.
                              Nice V8

Comment

v8 surf

That kit from supertrux, and engine conversions dont fit a surf they are for a hilux with leafs, surfs have ifs, the sump kisses the diff big time. anyone on here with 4x4 v8 rover surf
                                Last edited by lord lucan; 8 March 2008, 19:25.
                                JAP4X4PART ¬ THE BIGGEST SURF BREAKER IN THE UK ¬

Comment

Working...
                                X