V8 Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V8 Conversion

Hi all, it's been a long time since I posted on here but thought I'd share the upcoming project as it progresses and ask you lot for some help along the way!

My 2.4 finally gave in to cracked head syndrome a couple of months ago. After initially trying to sell her I've decided I can't let her go that easily. A lot of reading and a few phonecalls later I made the decision to pull the old 2LT-E out and replace it with something beefier.

I've decided a Toyota 1UZ-FE is the way to go since there's a lot of information available on this swap and you get a hell of a lot for your money. LA Supertrux will be doing the shoehorning for me if all goes well and I'll ask them to take some pictures as they go.

Fingers crossed I should be the proud owner of one of these beautiful 4 litre, quad-cam lumps this weekend, complete with auto box, ECU and all ancilliaries. Using the 1UZ bellhousing and torque converter, I've been told most Toyota auto boxes should bolt on nicely.

Wish me luck, and if anyone knows somebody breaking a V6 Surf, give me a shout. I need to get hold of a handbrake assembly, as the diesel one is a no-go when the V8 is in place.

Cheers.

Also, does anybody know if the V6 has an in-tank fuel pump?

It could be worth me trying to get hold of one, assuiming they bolt straight in.

Comment

Originally posted by jmc
      Hi all, it's been a long time since I posted on here but thought I'd share the upcoming project as it progresses and ask you lot for some help along the way!

My 2.4 finally gave in to cracked head syndrome a couple of months ago. After initially trying to sell her I've decided I can't let her go that easily. A lot of reading and a few phonecalls later I made the decision to pull the old 2LT-E out and replace it with something beefier.

I've decided a Toyota 1UZ-FE is the way to go since there's a lot of information available on this swap and you get a hell of a lot for your money. LA Supertrux will be doing the shoehorning for me if all goes well and I'll ask them to take some pictures as they go.

Fingers crossed I should be the proud owner of one of these beautiful 4 litre, quad-cam lumps this weekend, complete with auto box, ECU and all ancilliaries. Using the 1UZ bellhousing and torque converter, I've been told most Toyota auto boxes should bolt on nicely.

Wish me luck, and if anyone knows somebody breaking a V6 Surf, give me a shout. I need to get hold of a handbrake assembly, as the diesel one is a no-go when the V8 is in place.

Cheers.

Lovely!

Here's a video of that engine fitted and running, sounds bl**dy awesome!
      http://www.4wdlinks.com.au/albums/al...V8_4Runner.avi
      Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 20 July 2006, 17:45.

Comment

sweeeeeeeet
        Tim
        Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

I'll be watching progress with interest. That one in the vid sounds luvverly!
          It's only a hobby!

Comment

I've now bought the engine, ancilliaries, auto box and ECU from a Soarer which I had a drive round in first. It'd been de-catted and sounded lovely!

Got pretty much everything under the bonnet as well as the gearbox for £600.

Hopefully it'll be arriving at LA Supertrux some time in the coming week. Now I have to sort out getting my Surf down there too.

I've not had any luck finding anyone breaking a V6, so I'm still on the lookout for the handbrake assembly.

Comment

Good Luck with it mate & we hope to have a SURF meet at the end of August begining of September so you can show it off.
              (\__/)
              (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
              (")_(")

Comment

James,

Can you kindly supply details of the Soarer owner - a friend of mine is after bits - I can be reached on trevvy@hotmail.com

Trev
                Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

I found him on eBay:

PUREMOTO OF SHEFFIELD
                  STEVE: 07970028625

Seems a nice bloke, he's breaking a couple of TTs and a couple of V8s at the moment.

Comment

Cheers James,

Have passed the info on.

Trev
                    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Things have finally started moving now. The engine is in the workshop and the ECU and loom are off to Venom Cobras in Brisbane for testing and modification.

Hopefully it should be possible to mate the V8 transmission with the Surf transfer case and control it with a single ECU.

Also - if anyone knows someone who is breaking a V6 Surf, please let me know!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
                        I'll be watching progress with interest. That one in the vid sounds luvverly!
                        Ooooohhh... goosebumps! Want one!
                        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

good luck with the engine swap,hope all goes well,we need more v8 surfs.
                          www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by vatchman
                            we need more v8 surfs.
                            Small Block Chevy, or Rover?

Give me a chance, I've been busy!!!!
                            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                              Small Block Chevy, or Rover?
                              Cool.

Chevy engine for additional cool factor.

Rover engine for spares and ease of maintenance.
                              Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Working...
                              X