No announcement yet.

Headlight Bulbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

relays were local to their battery, one pair on the left, one on the right.
    As Morr had suggested. one relay per element...

Jotto, how are your lamps behaving...? still going strong?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyLala
      relays were local to their battery, one pair on the left, one on the right.
      As Morr had suggested. one relay per element...

Jotto, how are your lamps behaving...? still going strong?
      They are fine thanks
      I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

excellent, as soon as I get my workshop space sorted out, I must get round to making myself a set up... (ooops still not done it...) Mind you there are areas of the garage floor that I can actually see and stand on... so nearly there...

Comment

Headlight loom

Originally posted by AndyLala
          excellent, as soon as I get my workshop space sorted out, I must get round to making myself a set up... (ooops still not done it...) Mind you there are areas of the garage floor that I can actually see and stand on... so nearly there...
          So how's it going then are you any closer to having a finished loom available for us wot don't want to do it ourselves?
          How much!

Comment

Certainly have... Jotto has been testing the prototype for some time now...

I will have installed a set shortly too...

Comment

Ipf?

Who and where are IPF, please?

I am still waiting for my first Surf in September. I am interested to see the information about headlight re-wiring. Is it really needed for 100/80 bulbs? I put these in various Fords over the past 15 years or so, without changing the headlight wiring and without having any problems. (I was told that any higher rating would need modified wiring).
              Last edited by najobskalf; 23 July 2006, 00:29.

Comment

Wire them up with their own supplies and switching circuits. You can
                use the existing wiring as the live feed for the control relays, but I
                wouldn't recommend it for the lights themselves. Keep them seperate.

Comment

Originally posted by najobskalf
                  Is it really needed for 100/80 bulbs? I put these in various Fords over the past 15 years or so, without changing the headlight wiring and without having any problems.
                  I've got them in my truck with standard wiring. Been fitted for two years now with no probs!

Comment

100/80 bulbs

Thanks - it would be much easier if rewiring could be avoided!
                    Has anyone actually suffered damage from fitting 100/80 w headlight bulbs to a Surf, without modifying the wiring?

Comment

Originally posted by najobskalf
                      Thanks - it would be much easier if rewiring could be avoided!
                      Has anyone actually suffered damage from fitting 100/80 w headlight bulbs to a Surf, without modifying the wiring?

See my previous post!

Also, the MOT man passed them and he even adjusted them for me as the beams were pointing at the ground after raising the rear suspension 3 inches!
                      Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 23 July 2006, 15:29.

Comment

Sorry. Thought you were referring to running seperate lamps,
                        not just changing the headlamp bulbs.

Comment

Only wanted to change the bulbs

I was only wanting to change the headlight bulbs to 100/80s, not to add extra lamps.

I looked at the PIAA site for the first time and was amazed by the extortionate prices for their stuff - it looked like a spoof! I'm probably being naive, but I can't believe many people would be willing to pay such prices for headlight bulbs that are just a colder colour (no figures are quoted for light output in lumens, so how do you compare?).

Having said that, I wonder how LED replacements for rear fog, brake etc lights measure up?

Comment

Personally, I still prefer bulbs for lighting purposes over LED's. But, there
                            are drawbacks.

Bulbs have a good all round light dispersion, which is also more suitable
                            for usable light. I know that bit sounds daft, but try a LED torch against a
                            standard torch, and you'll see what I mean. Bulbs however, are more
                            prone to shock, have a lower operating lifespan and require more current.
                            LED's have a far poorer light dispersion, useful from directly in front but
                            poor side light. It's pretty much whichever takes your fancy. LED's would
                            be fine for something like brake lights, where the normal viewing angle is
                            from practically straight behind. Personally, I would only use LED's for the
                            type of purpose that they have been used primarily. Instrumentation and
                            backlighting and also diffused illumination.

Comment

Working...
                            X