yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blowers not working and switch not moving!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blowers not working and switch not moving!

Hi, got a 94 KZN130 and it's slowly giving up on me.

Blowers have been getting a little finnicky about whether they want to blow or not, used to only work if I could get the switch to sit inbetween the selections (I could hear the relay ticking away in complaint) but they always worked. Then on Friday driving home they packed up and the selection switch will move across the most powerful 3 but will not go to the lowest selection. Not that it's important cause no air comes out on any selection.

I pulled the dash apart and checked the relays etc, all look fine. No blown fuses etc. I still have heat (but it only comes out at 70mph+)

I don't get paid for 3 weeks, and I've just ordered a new rad from roughtrax, so I'm hoping it's something I can fix / bodge myself until payday rolls around and I can get a professional to look at it!

I've checked the threads on here but can't work out if it's the blower itself, or the heat/blower unit in the dash. Anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Instructions suited for an idiot would be very welcome

============================== ============================
    Edit To Add:

I've got a heater blower resistor being delivered tomorrow, I'm hoping that this will solve my problem (Or I've just wasted £30.) Although I think there's an issue with the blower speed selector as it doesn't have full range of movement it did when I got it.
    Last edited by 9InchNinja; 2 February 2015, 14:06.

replaced blower resistor and still no blow.

Any ideas guys??

Comment

Needs a new blower fan and motor easy job two screws and a multi plug, its worth taking the old one out to see if it is spinning, its located under the dash passenger side
      SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Originally posted by charvell View Post
        Needs a new blower fan and motor easy job two screws and a multi plug, its worth taking the old one out to see if it is spinning, its located under the dash passenger side
        Cool. I'll have at that next then. Still worried about the selection switch not moving over all options for the blowers. Is the blower fan and motor 12v? Could I hook this up to battery to see if it's alive? I don't want to break anything else, or spend more money on stuff I don't need!

I'm evidently getting better at this though, replaced radiator in the truck today with the new brass & copper one from Roughtrax. No spare parts left over, which is always a bonus.

Comment

Would it not be more likely the control unit, if it was working in between the settings? Burnt contacts etc? Might be worth taking it out to check the contacts before spending out on a new blower? Nothing to lose but a bit of time.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mickyod View Post
            Would it not be more likely the control unit, if it was working in between the settings? Burnt contacts etc? Might be worth taking it out to check the contacts before spending out on a new blower? Nothing to lose but a bit of time.

Mike
            It'll be the switch, happened to mine last week, exactly your symtoms.
            The resistor, it seems, shows up as no blow except max and the switch is no blow at all. Mine was all "wiggle the switch" for the last year and waited for the coldest day to pack up.

If you pop the switch out (which actually is a pain in butt, lots of dash to undo) you'll find burnt connections I bet.

I took the glove box out, but I don't think you really need to, I just didn't know what I was about. Fitted my spare temporarily to get it working, I don't really have 2 switch panels and your eye sight is fine .

When you get into the switch panel, there are 2 small cross head screws on the bottom, 1 on the top that will let you remove the cable mechanism for the heat and 2 more small gold coloured cross head numbers holding a black plastic clip onto an electrical plug on the top of the switch assembly (I think for the recirculation switches). You'll need to remove the cable to get the switch panel off the cable mechanism...I hope that made sense.

I think the panel sequence is:

Under panel from the drivers side
            steering column surround
            instrument surround and centre airvent
            knobs on heating
            facia for heating
            screws for switch mount (2 on the left 1 on the right - bring the switch into the cab)
            remove screws mentioned above...
            Attached Files
            Last edited by andyverran; 3 February 2015, 23:36.

Comment

Thanks lads!

I'll whip out the unit tonight and see if I can take it apart. Are these generally repairable?

Comment

Did anyone find the blower motor switch??

I know this thread is very old. But mine went and I cannot for the life of me find a replacement.

The 4runner version seems to be bigger and won't fit.

Please help!

Comment

Hi

I guess you're looking at tracking down a second hand one.

Comment

Working...
                  X