Newbie battery question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shirley53 View Post
    On further inspection i noticed that the garage who checked my battery had put the neg lead back on the old battery!!! so it must have drained the new battery. i still think that there is a problem as when i checked the new battery with the volt meter the voltage was dropping. Could this be that i need to take it for a run , then test it again?

thanks shirl
    If you've connected a new battery to an old knackered one it's highly likely that the old one will drag the new one down. Disconnect the old one, get a charger on the new one then use a multimeter to check the voltage. Should be around 12.2 - 12.6 Volts when the engines not running. Make sure the old battery is not connected and start the engine. As BDT said above you should now see ~13.5 - 14V. The extra volts show its charging ok. If when running it shows much above 14.5 volts then you may be overcharging. (knackered regulator on the alt)

The big question is why you only wanted to fit 1 new battery when you can afford to buy an alternator 'just in case' ? Just use the money to put in 2 batteries like it's meant to be.

Rob.

Comment

thanks Rob

The reason i replaced the one battery was that i could not get one for the other side. I took it out for a drive and guess what ...the battery was draining..all instruments went dead and managed to limp into a layby..The RAC man said it was the alternator ( he checked it) He also said that the hilux should be run on 2 batteries. So i shall take it in to get an alternator....Should i get the glow plugs changed as well.

thanks shirl

Comment

alternator gone!

i also meant to add that the other old dead battery was left in situ with the positive terminal connected only for safety reasons. It would be easier to put 2 standard batteries in if the terminals had a little bit ''give'' in them. i was also not convinced that the alternator was ok and was offered one from a forum member so thats why i said i would take it. Its been a steep learning curve this past week!!

shirl

Comment

Shirl if you want to get hold of another battery and then see how it goes with the 2 new batteries before buying this alternator then thats fine.I only offered the alternator incase you required it but like Rob says it would pay to get another battery then if the alternator is needed then i got it here for you.I won't sell it till i hear back from you tho as your name is on it.
          https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

on my drivers side i fitted one for a late shogun DID,terminals right way but terminals nearst to grill rather than screen,fits treat,although a bit tighht as its 850 cca

Comment

Hi Shirl,

Thought the alt was tested ok by the garage that fitted the new battery, which is why I asked the question...

Anyhow..

The correct batteries are an 068 for the passenger side, and an 069 for the drivers side. The motor factor should be able to look these up and cross reference.

For future reference it's worth getting a quote from the main dealers sometimes. In my case a pair of new batteries from Toyota was cheaper than my local motor shops. (~£108 for the pair last year).

Hope it's up and running fine soon.
              Rob.

Comment

About the glow plugs.. Concentrate on getting the truck to hold it's charge ok first. Then as it's been standing for 8 months do a full service and pop some glow plugs in at the same time.

Get the front brake calipers checked too as they seem to sieze quite easily. My truck was laid up for a year and the front calipers needed sorting for the MOT. I put a new pair on for peace of mind.

Apart from the calipers and the batteries my truck didn't seem to suffer from not being used for a year. They are very well built vehicles.

Rob.

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys...

Richard .... The rac said that it was my alternator ..he did some checking with it and said it was not working so can i please have the alternator so i can book into the garage. I had run it 20 miles and the battery gauge started to drop, then all gauges went bananas !!!. Ended up with me limping into a layby. I managed to find a guy on ebay selling the batteries as a pair...( just forked out £125 for 1 bosch one!) I had to have it running as mot was out and road tax was due. The funny thing was it sailed through its mot last week no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by shirley53 View Post
                    Thanks for all the help guys...

Richard .... The rac said that it was my alternator ..he did some checking with it and said it was not working so can i please have the alternator so i can book into the garage. I had run it 20 miles and the battery gauge started to drop, then all gauges went bananas !!!. Ended up with me limping into a layby. I managed to find a guy on ebay selling the batteries as a pair...( just forked out £125 for 1 bosch one!) I had to have it running as mot was out and road tax was due. The funny thing was it sailed through its mot last week no problem.
                    yep id go with alternator,and mot hasn't anything to do with that side of it

Comment

thats ok Shirl i'll get it off for you.I just wanted to make sure that you needed thats all

Comment

i just thought that seeing it was going to get the alternator done i would as well get the glow plugs done (the garage said they would test them) it had an oil service last week when i took it for the mot.

Comment

re alternator

Hi Richard

Have you managed to test the alternator yet? I was wanting to book the car in next week

shirl

Comment

re alternator

Funds sent via paypal.Thanks Richard

Comment

Thanks Shirl.You should have it Wednesday

Comment

re alternator

Thanks Richard..Getting fitted tomorrow.

Can you tell me a rough value for my hilux...12 months road tax and 12 months mot. Approx 167292kms. Imported sept 2006

thanks shirl

Comment

Working...
                                X